Roast 'Chokegate' - Dr. Peter Larkins and the outraged media reaction

Remove this Banner Ad

C'mon HH - you love Twitter, please do the BF Hawks a community service, and post this on his feed!
lol i would not word it right last time i said something to a reporter i got a pm saying they had a reliable source , i am not so sure any more that i want to do this one i only get on now and then

I know this has been done to death, but was just mentioned on footy classified that Jordan Lewis was spoken to about how he publicly criticised Lake after last weeks game. Lake felt like he had 4 weeks before he walked into the tribunal after what his team mates has already said.

Lake is on the footy show this week, I really hope he doesn't expand on this, I know he was upset, and I agree with him, but it needs to stay in-house.

I know this has been done to death, but was just mentioned on footy classified that Jordan Lewis was spoken to about how he publicly criticised Lake after last weeks game. Lake felt like he had 4 weeks before he walked into the tribunal after what his team mates has already said.

Lake is on the footy show this week, I really hope he doesn't expand on this, I know he was upset, and I agree with him, but it needs to stay in-house.

Can't imagine he would say anything but at the end of the day it's a bit late to ask for it to stay inhouse

As an example of just how out of hand this whole story got, this just appeared on my Facebook feed:

Kangaroos-Hawks clash in Australia

Just a 4-game ban for trying to strangle an opponent

http://www.marca.com/2014/07/21/en/football/barcelona/1405933697.html

:rolleyes:

It was a really pathetic display from television. Every single word was skewed towards Brian as a potential murderer that should be thrown in the clinker. The only mention they made regarding Petrie's actions was the following (paraphrasing):

"At the end of the skirmish, Brian Lake walked away with scratches on his face."

As if they magically appeared...

How ridiculous is it all. I have said it before.... Things just as bad, or worse, happen weekly when 2 big guys are standing up and wrestling. Because Lake jumped on him and they were on the ground it looked worse than it was. He gets 4 for not even phasing an opposition player because "it was not a good look". I hope they view Vickerys king hit the same, terrible look for the game.

From last nights game it looks like Vickery will get 5 for king hitting a guy, while he was not looking I might add, and knocking him out cold. If he gets 5 for that and Lake gets 4 for what he did it will be a huge discrepancy in the 2 findings. What am I saying, we are talking about the MRP of course, Vickery will be cleared due to insufficient force. you know, like Hawkins, when he hit Langford and caused him to lose his lunch. No force their at all fellas, well not compared to the big, bad Brian Lake incident anyway.

Whole system needs an overhaul

How ridiculous is it all. I have said it before.... Things just as bad, or worse, happen weekly when 2 big guys are standing up and wrestling. Because Lake jumped on him and they were on the ground it looked worse than it was. He gets 4 for not even phasing an opposition player because "it was not a good look". I hope they view Vickerys king hit the same, terrible look for the game.

From last nights game it looks like Vickery will get 5 for king hitting a guy, while he was not looking I might add, and knocking him out cold. If he gets 5 for that and Lake gets 4 for what he did it will be a huge discrepancy in the 2 findings. What am I saying, we are talking about the MRP of course, Vickery will be cleared due to insufficient force. you know, like Hawkins, when he hit Langford and caused him to lose his lunch. No force their at all fellas, well not compared to the big, bad Brian Lake incident anyway.

Whole system needs an overhaul

Need to get some independent MRP people with a background in law.

Then they can deal with the facts without the media generated hysteria and mete out suitable punishment on a case by case basis. All the carry over points crap and early guilty pleas needs to be gotten rid of. If you have MRP history you should expect it to go badly.

Then all the people with a vested interest (read media, AFL, opposing clubs) in any outcome can all pull their biased heads in while the perpetrator gets a fair hearing based on the "latest offence" and previous history if they have any. That is providing the MRP got it right the "last time".

Need to get some independent MRP people with a background in law.

Then they can deal with the facts without the media generated hysteria and mete out suitable punishment on a case by case basis. All the carry over points crap and early guilty pleas needs to be gotten rid of. If you have MRP history you should expect it to go badly.

Then all the people with a vested interest (read media, AFL, opposing clubs) in any outcome can all pull their biased heads in while the perpetrator gets a fair hearing based on the "latest offence" and previous history if they have any. That is providing the MRP got it right the "last time".

WHAT Kind of crazy talk is this?.....Have you gone mad or just lost your marbles completely?....An independent body operating outside of the AFL's media circus auspices & dictum....Insanity & grounds for ostracism & excommunication!;)

Vickers is similar. If he had cleaned up Ballantyne, or even some fringe kid, he wouldn't be getting hung by the media nearly as much as he is for hitting a good bloke on his last game.

Cases are never just looked at for what they are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson's suggestion that events that arise on a Friday night should be dealt with on a Sunday has great merit but has been ignored by most people. Every person and their dog had opinions on the Lake incident and now the Vickery incident. Both have been hung drawn and quartered in the media for several days. It was clear that anything less than a month off for Lake would have caused outrage in the media and the AFL is nothing if not conscious of its image in the media. Expect Vickery to also cop a heavy suspension, notwithstanding his public remorse.

Clarkson's suggestion that events that arise on a Friday night should be dealt with on a Sunday has great merit but has been ignored by most people. Every person and their dog had opinions on the Lake incident and now the Vickery incident. Both have been hung drawn and quartered in the media for several days. It was clear that anything less than a month off for Lake would have caused outrage in the media and the AFL is nothing if not conscious of its image in the media. Expect Vickery to also cop a heavy suspension, notwithstanding his public remorse.
I reckon 3 weeks is enough for Vickery - but it is a far more serious and more so a "bad look for the game" than ol Lakey.
Clarkson's call has complete merit as the media moves so fast now and is accessible more than ever giving them a greater voice. Even with a Sunday tribunal there would be ample time for media hysteria.

I reckon 3 weeks is enough for Vickery - but it is a far more serious and more so a "bad look for the game" than ol Lakey.
Clarkson's call has complete merit as the media moves so fast now and is accessible more than ever giving them a greater voice. Even with a Sunday tribunal there would be ample time for media hysteria.

That's not quite correct - Petrie turned blue, lost consciousness, nearly died and kicked five goals - vickery gets nowhere near the lake incident

I'm struggling to understand how vickery gets 4 for a hit that had the guy unconscious before he hit the ground and is unable to see out the game and probably miss this week as well, as he is still receiving treatment and Brian gets the same for a choking death on a guy that did a Spangher and got up and played on.
Steele sidebottom got four weeks for rough conduct and afaik didn't have priors

They really need to sit down and take a good long hard look at the system they use

Remove this Banner Ad

Back