benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
Apparently one of the two major driving forces behind these books, RA Montgomery, passed away last weekend aged 78. Condolences first to his family.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/15/choose-your-own-adventure-author-ra-montgomery-dead-78

http://www.cyoa.com/

Does anyone here remember these books as fondly as I do? Loved reading these book at primary school, and having them read to us, where we as a class would take a vote on which decision to make. I started a collection on my 10th birthday which grew to over 100, and I still have.

P.S. struggling to classify these books - are they Games, Books, Entertainment? That's what made them so unique I guess.

Last edited:
I also remember some Dungeons and Dragons-ish ones where as well as making choices you would roll dice etc to see what happened next.

Remember those too - they had the green spines, Forgotten Realms weren't they? The CYOA series spawned so many spinoffs and rivals during the 80s.

Those books were awesome, there was a vampire based book that gave me the creeps... especially when one of the decisions was whether or not to climb up the castle wall, which I did and was greeted with a lot of spiders and falling to my death.
Vampire Express - a classic...

Edit: just dug it out, you can also get zombified, crushed in a room, and turned into a vampire, along with all the good endings. Good times :)

Last edited:
I don't know if you're thinking of Fighting Fantasy. I remember those being amazingly epic. Much heavier and involved that CYOA.

I used to like the FF books.

A different series called Grail Quest was my preferred.

Got me onto D&D.

What used to annoy me about some of these style of books is how quick and arbitrary death can be, i.e. You're at a junction of a corridor, you can go left or right, no indication of problems either way, you choose one path, and suddenly the roof falls in and you're dead, or you're attacked by a monster without a chance of fighting back and dead. Back to the start.

Still, they were good fun.

"I don't know if you're thinking of Fighting Fantasy. I remember those being amazingly epic. Much heavier and involved that CYOA."

I used to like the FF books.

A different series called Grail Quest was my preferred.

Got me onto D&D.

What used to annoy me about some of these style of books is how quick and arbitrary death can be, i.e. You're at a junction of a corridor, you can go left or right, no indication of problems either way, you choose one path, and suddenly the roof falls in and you're dead, or you're attacked by a monster without a chance of fighting back and dead. Back to the start.

Still, they were good fun.

I think I was referring to Fighting Fantasy, thanks.

You're right about the arbitrary deaths - or worse arbitrary deaths either way. I think RA Montgomery was particularly bad for that, and TBH I preferred Edward Packard's books for that reason.

But Montgomery was the father of these type of books and he will be missed.

I also remember some Dungeons and Dragons-ish ones where as well as making choices you would roll dice etc to see what happened next.

Hell yeah! Found a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon in a Salvos shop a few years back, took me right back to being in primary school.
figfan06.jpg

Those books were just a more violent version of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, with fantastic illustrations to match.
dd-007.png

dd-015.png

Hell yeah! Found a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon in a Salvos shop a few years back, took me right back to being in primary school.
It's so long ago I can't even remember exactly but I think I had that one.

I remember once trying to map out the book on paper to find the way through, don't think I ever finished it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back