• Total voters

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ablett!

That's not to discredit Judd by any means as Judd will go down as one of the greats, but by the end of their careers Ablett will go down as being that little bit better. He (Ablett) is the complete package. Ablett is not only an elite midfielder he is elite in almost every aspect of the game.

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Peak purple patch = C Judd (by a bees dick)
Whole career = G Ablett Jr with out a doubt
People can forget Judd was a Brownlow medalist, 2 time AA, B&F, Norm Smith, Premiership captain by the age of 23 before GAJ had done anything of note, who would dominate games from the centre square (2003 his second year - 5 goals in a half against a peak Brisbane in Brisbane). Gary Ablett debuted (2002) the same year as Chris Judd, do people forget this? Ablett was not the player we know now until 2007. Judd was the best player in the comp for mid2004-mid2007. GAJ has averaged 1 more disposal than C Judd over his career, Judd has averaged 1 more clearance. However 2007-2013 GAJ output as a mid is peerless (perhaps in the history of afl/vfl/wafl/sanfl) and has understandably/easily been the best player in the comp for over half a decade. More goals too, tells me GAJ was a better kick than Judd, most would agree with that. Both have unbelievable core strength. Both such great players. Walkup start in any clubs team of the century both of them.

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
True, Judd IMO wasnt in top five maybe 10 best players in 2010 an either The Great Dane deserved it or Gaz, GAJ should/could/deserved to have 3 Brownlows easily. I remember thinking every year for the past 4-5 that GAJ has the Charlie in the bag yet didnt eventuate which is such a shame he deserves to be the only triple brownlow medalist in the modern era. Still could happen though he doesnt look like slowing down which is just phenomenal. Could also IMO end up top 10 on all time games played vfl/afl and end up with around 500 odd goals. Barring misfortune will play maybe until 34-35 at the Suns. I love Chris Judd, But even the most biased, one eyed fan would have to say Gary Ablett is above him career wise.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
True, Judd IMO wasnt in top five maybe 10 best players in 2010 an either ...

Was top 5 I think in the AFLCA award, so I reckon this is a bit of a misconception surrounding his Brownlow win. Was arguably the best player in the comp too when he took out the MVP and finished a bees dick in 2nd place in the AFLCA award in 2011.

forwardflanker

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2006
Luxemburg
AFL Club
Collingwood
15 touches a game in his first year, 18 in his second. Hit the ground running? Not so much. Promising young midfielder like any other. A lot of mythology around Golden Balls to this day.

The facts are, Judd has never, that is to say - NEVER - averaged more than 27 touches a game in any one year. That's at his peak, at West Coast, you name it. He's also never kicked 30 goals in a season. Not once. Ablett has not averaged less than 30 touches a game in his last 5 years. Three of those at a s**t team too, so the "he's surrounded by great players" argument is shot to pieces. A lot more goals as well.

Ablett has left Judd a distant speck in his rear vision mirror. His true rivals now are Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Watson, Selwood etc. Judd isn't even close anymore.

+1, Judd (especially considering the second half of his career) is perhaps the most overrated player of the modern era.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The facts are, Judd has never, that is to say - NEVER - averaged more than 27 touches a game in any one year. That's at his peak, at West Coast, you name it. He's also never kicked 30 goals in a season. Not once. Ablett has not averaged less than 30 touches a game in his last 5 years. Three of those at a s**t team too, so the "he's surrounded by great players" argument is shot to pieces. A lot more goals as well.

Never kicked 30 goals in a season. Hmmm ... but he's kicked 29 a couple of times. Wow! That one goal must make him highly overrated huh. And how about Ablett? Kicked over 30 goals in four seasons, three of which he played a fair measure in the forward line and the other kicking 30 goals exactly; a whole one more than Judd. How about Goal Assists? Ablett has never had more than 20 in his whole career ... Judd has had over 30 before in a season. For goals created, Ablett averages something like 0.4 more per game. A better goal kicker yes, but just worth filling in your facts a bit I thought.

As for raw disposal stats, what a stupid way to measure a players worth. Despite having fewer disposals, Judd gets more of his in contested situations and more from clearances. Not many one-two's from Juddy.

Ablett has left Judd a distant speck in his rear vision mirror. His true rivals now are Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Watson, Selwood etc. Judd isn't even close anymore.

This is true. Judd's form has dropped away and as a player today is not in the same league as Ablett week in week out. But looking at them over their career, it's a worthy comparison. Just two seasons ago Judd was arguably the best player in the league. This seems all but forgotten now.

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This is true. Judd's form has dropped away and as a player today is not in the same league as Ablett week in week out. But looking at them over their career, it's a worthy comparison. Just two seasons ago Judd was arguably the best player in the league. This seems all but forgotten now.

Yeh I think because GAJ is seemingly taking it to another level atm. Very worthy comparison Judd/Gaz. The only player to compare each of those players to would be each other, I think. His recent brain fade may have something to do with the fans forgetting his form a couple of years ago, however fair or unfair that is. West Coast fans certainly will not be forgetting just how good he was. I will say this though, having a stick figure missus and two rugrats would be taking a toll on any man.

Nomad12

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
OKC
Yep Ablett's got to be the best modern day player ever...judds not far off him as are few others

Sep 9, 2008
Near the famous #34
AFL Club
Carlton
Judd came on earlier but Ablett is the better career player, just. Just. It's the extra 120 goals for me, plus that Gary is the more durable player, and hasn't had to deal with a serious, long term injury like OP. Ablett looked slightly more dangerous in a crap side like Gold Coast 2011-12 than Judd looked in Carlton 2008-09.

But they are both ahead of the other midfielders in the league, especially those who have sat in a dominant team for most of their careers. That both of them could drop into a weak team and stand ridiculous amounts of tagging as the sole dominant mid, and shift up a gear, speaks volumes.

SHLJ

Debutant
Jan 14, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ablett's been really good for about 6 years, and his best is just freakish- beyond that of Judd. Judd's peak was earlier than Ablett's, Judd's had some very strong and consistent years with the Blues, a few sensational performances but not to the level of Gary. Judd does a lot of standing around grimacing and has plenty of modest games where he's barely in their top 10. I still love when Judd gets going like in the EF and in a way it's more exciting than Ablett now because we're so used to Ablett doing it, but anyway- Ablett.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Early doors it was Judd, but Ablett has definitely gone past as Juddy has had problems with his body. Although I think many people underrate what Judd has done at carlton, his core strength and vision at clearances is unbelievable and you have to be at the game to truly appreciate it. However Ablett has much more accuracy, distance and penetration in his kicking, also has a core made of steel and is easily the best player I have seen.

IMO of mids I've seen (Im 28) Ablett>Judd>>>>>>>>>>>>>Williams>Hird*,Voss,Buckley>>Next tear of 10-15 Black, Hayes,Kouta, boomer, etc

Back