Chris Judd VS Gary Ablett

Gary Ablett or Chris Judd

• Chris Judd

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • Gary Ablett

Votes: 192 81.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

undervaluing of Williams there imo, Diesel was better than Judd, obviously completely different beasts but Williams was a better decision maker, higher stat gatherer, kicked more goals and I'd go as far as to say he assisted more goals per game than what Judd does even though those statistics are currently unavailable.
Williams was a freak, just don't think people realize how good he truly was back in his day.

Maybe Judd could turn a game more dramatically than what Williams ever did because of his athletic traits but for me, the best midfielders I have seen are Jnr >>>>>> Voss >>>>>> Williams >>>>>> Judd >>>>>> R.Harvey >>>>>> Ricciuto, Buckley, Black, Cousins all hard to separate and then Hird and McLeod who played down back, forward and in the center of the ground.

undervaluing of Williams there imo, Diesel was better than Judd, obviously completely different beasts but Williams was a better decision maker, higher stat gatherer, kicked more goals and I'd go as far as to say he assisted more goals per game than what Judd does even though those statistics are currently unavailable.
Williams was a freak, just don't think people realize how good he truly was back in his day.

Maybe Judd could turn a game more dramatically than what Williams ever did because of his athletic traits but for me, the best midfielders I have seen are Jnr >>>>>> Voss >>>>>> Williams >>>>>> Judd >>>>>> R.Harvey >>>>>> Ricciuto, Buckley, Black, Cousins all hard to separate and then Hird and McLeod who played down back, forward and in the center of the ground.

Yeah maybe your right about Williams v Judd, I'd have them both above Voss though, I reckon Voss was able to cruise, rack up 21-22 and just be "good" as opposed to very good too often as a result of his team. I personally can't separate him from Buckley and Hird* although they were all different beasts.

fair enough, your right about Voss and the champion team factor, still, he did seem to step up the ante when the game was in the balance and he had a habit of doing this all throughout his career but it's almost impossible to separate that batch of midfielders as all were/are reasons why the game has gone up another level and very much dominated by midfielders today.

I agree Diesel was better than Judd. I'm not sure he'd have assisted more goals though, as this stat is a direct assist, whereas Diesel would literally engineer goals two or sometimes three disposals out from goal. Guy was a freak. So much so, I'm still not sure I rank Ablett as the better midfielder tbh.

I agree Diesel was better than Judd. I'm not sure he'd have assisted more goals though, as this stat is a direct assist, whereas Diesel would literally engineer goals two or sometimes three disposals out from goal. Guy was a freak. So much so, I'm still not sure I rank Ablett as the better midfielder tbh.

yeh true and this wasn't something he got better at when he went to Carlton either. I got some early games of him at Geelong and seriously, the guy was just born to play the game and the other aspect of his game style was his ruthlessness plus courage, very tough player who constantly got tagged and hit behind the play.
I didn't realize it until I checked up on his stats but he averaged close to 27 touches per game...26 per game in his very first season for Geelong :eek:
That's insane!
The 80's was an era of semi-professionalism and disposals of that magnitude were rare but to do it on the big stage also like his dominant 95 grand final performance, just a freak of a footballer.

I doubt Carlton would have beaten West Coast in 96 had never been suspended but who knows? Maybe he would have been the difference in securing wins against Melbourne and West Coast which would have altered Carlton's finals schedule.
Kind of like Judd, take him out of that Elimination final this year and maybe Carlton go down by a goal

Very hard to choose! If you had to pick one of them for one or two years at their peak it would be Ablett hands down, what he has produced in the last few years has been better then anything that Judd has produced (and thats no knock on Judd!). But Ablett also took a little while to get going and Judd has been a star from game one, so if you had to pick one over their career it becomes very hard to choose, quality or quantity?
If I had to pick one, my head would tell me Judd as all things considered I think he has produced more over his career, but I think I would have to go with Ablett as you just can't pass up the opportunity to have possibly the games greatest player on your list.

Now that being said, i've got a feeling that if you asked this question again in five years time you will get a clear winner in Ablett, the way he looked this season he could still be playing by then, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if 2014 was Judd's last season.

whereas Diesel would literally engineer goals two or sometimes three disposals out from goal.

That is part of the problem with using assists as a stat. Quite often it is that disposal 2 or 3 plays back that really set up the play and it doesn't get the recognition, especially for the inside midfielders. I kind of like how in ice hockey they count the assist for the for the 2? passes that lead to the goal

Not from what I've seen. More fawning adoration from commentators? Absolutely. Otherwise Williams was a far better player. Still the best midfielder I've ever seen. Only Ablett now has started to get close.

Not from what I've seen. More fawning adoration from commentators? Absolutely. Otherwise Williams was a far better player. Still the best midfielder I've ever seen. Only Ablett now has started to get close.
Williams was a great but GAJ has gone past him for mine. GAJ is now up in the legends of all time area. The top 10. If we include rthe modern era as being from the late 60s onwards when TV let us see progressively more and more of players the only midfielder I would have above GAJ is Lethal. Lethal is still the most dominant player I have seen play the game. Probably the toughest also.

Ablett clearly both on career and peak.

Judd's disposal has always been average, which has reduced his 'hurt factor'. Outstanding player in his own right, but Ablett is above. (and Williams for that matter, who like Judd a champion also)

GAJ-not sure if its my cats bias and not remembering Judd at his best, but I'd confidently vote for GAJ :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett clearly both on career and peak.

Judd's disposal has always been average, which has reduced his 'hurt factor'.

I wouldn't call him a great kick of the footy, but I think this has grown into somewhat of a misnomer. The bloke had 30+ goal assists a couple of seasons ago and he so often hits a teammate with a creative kick that many others in the league couldn't manage. His odd average kick seems to have become what people take as his standard these days, while all the others get overlooked.

I think Ablett is the more skillful, diverse and consistent player. But Judd at his best was every bit as effective. So on his day, it would be a toss-up with him or Ablett. But for a season I wouldn't hesitate in picking Ablett.

Major skill difference between Ablett & Judd.

Ablett is a beautiful kick, rarely misses for goal and has consistent power in his field kicking. Judd is a poor kick all round.

Judd's West Coast years was him at his peak and he's been a good sometimes great and occasionally brilliant player at his time at Carlton, but he has always been overall overrated. Ablett gets similar attention from the media, but its all worth it because he really is that good.

Ablett is obviously the better player.

However Judd in his prime was equally as unstopable. Both will go down in history and legends of the game.

Big call.
Also Judd between the start of his career and mid-2007 was ridiculously freakish.

Yeh one of Judd's goals against the lions at Subi one year was just insane, under pressure on the left foot 30-40m out on the boundary line drop punt, no banana needed. Reminded me of Andy Mcleods goal one year against the Pies. Yet Ablett kicks them like that too, and more often.

As much as a love Juddy, Ablett has him beat. No shame in that though, Ablett could be considered as the best to have ever played the game.

Back