Chris Masten biting allegation

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a line of behaviour on a footy field my friend. There's run-of-the-mill stuff..... then there is spitting, kicking and biting. Cross over the line to one of those three and the player's code is rightfully forgotten. I suspect that you are probably only about 12yo with such a puerile view of right and wrong. But wake up tomorrow without your one eyed view and perhaps realise that the one not being a man here is the one who resorted to sinking his teeth into someone and then not at least having the balls to wear his shame. The next two weeks off will be the easy bit for Masten. Because every time he steps on to the field from then on, every other AFL player will be reminding him of what a piece of crap he is. :(

Somehow I don't think Suban is going to be treated so well by opposing teams either...they know his face gouging actions too well ;)

yeah they are kinda the same thing a bite and interfering with ones face but i thing the latter is way worse
Suban got one week...Masten got two. Says it all really.

Hey, are you in Wood Green in London? Stayed there for a few weeks a zillion years ago.

Hang on...

Did you...

I see what you did there! This is about Goodes right? And the booing? ******* brilliant, man. Just absolute genius comedy right there! Never done before, totally original, genius comedy...

Phew... Hope I see that one again!

Next time I'll bring up the nazis and you can really get your rocks off.

Hang on, that article says "he felt pressure in his mouth and bit down" that's a pretty good defence. How do you get two weeks for that? It's a reflex reaction to stop something going down your throat.

In rugby union you always hear stories of players getting bitten in the scrum and when they complain to the ref .. You get the reply " what was your hand doing in his mouth?. Not sure if that actually happens but it usually takes 2 to tango.

What if Juddy is going for his eye gouge and he misses and you bite his hand of death. Who's in the wrong?

Last edited:
yeah they are kinda the same thing a bite and interfering with ones face but i thing the latter is way worse
yeah dobbing is way worse UPDATE 1pm: The AFL says it won't investigate claims Richmond recruit Dylan Grimes was bitten by a Collingwood player unless the Tigers lodge a complaint.

Hang on, that article says "he felt pressure in his mouth and bit down" that's a pretty good defence. How do you get two weeks for that? It's a reflex reaction to stop something going down your throat.
He "said" he felt pressure in his mouth and bit down.
The defense essentially was that Suban forced his forearm against his "mouth area" and he instinctively bit down. The fact that he got 2 weeks and not 4, seems to indicate to me that the tribunal considered the mitigating circumstances (Suban's role in the events), decided that the bite was deliberate and not an accidental reflex, but reduced the penalty due to the mitigating circumstance. I think thats reasonable really.

yeah dobbing is way worse UPDATE 1pm: The AFL says it won't investigate claims Richmond recruit Dylan Grimes was bitten by a Collingwood player unless the Tigers lodge a complaint.
Daniel Chick send his regards ;)
"West Coast veteran Daniel Chick’s credibility is in tatters this morning after he was caught fabricating evidence against Fremantle vice-captain Josh Carr during last night’s AFL Tribunal hearing.
A stunned Carr never appeared in danger of being suspended for three matches after his lawyer Grant Donaldson SC proved Chick’s claim that he was forced to leave the field early in the first quarter as a result of a punch from the Docker wasn’t true by playing a videotape of the match. The Eagle had complained about the incident to field umpire Matthew Nicholls during the first quarter and later gave his version of events to AFL investigator Bill Kneebone."

You ever heard the expression about people in glass houses?? ;)!

He "said" he felt pressure in his mouth and bit down.
The defense essentially was that Suban forced his forearm against his "mouth area" and he instinctively bit down. The fact that he got 2 weeks and not 4, seems to indicate to me that the tribunal considered the mitigating circumstances (Suban's role in the events), decided that the bite was deliberate and not an accidental reflex, but reduced the penalty due to the mitigating circumstance. I think thats reasonable really.
We don't know that is what they decided at all. They could have just as likely decided that while it was a reflex action, there should be some punishment to discourage it from happening in the future. Just like they did to Mitchell and his reflex action to put his knee up. Like Mitchell, the punishment was far less than if they determined it was deliberate. Either way, I also think it is reasonable. Accident/reflex or deliberate with extenuating circumstances, it needs to be highly discouraged.

I don't get the whole s**t about dobbing. If something happens on the field the players should raise it. This whole what happens on the footy field stays on the footy field is stupid and quite frankly a little dangerous. If there was no video of the Silvagni/Cripps incident, I would hope the Eagles players would have given evidence.

Schofield is right, the player's code is dead, and so it should be.

If it was that clear cut why didn't masten get the 4-6 week suspension prescribed for biting ?
Because suban is a dirty flog that has a reputation for sticking fingers in people's mouths and face gouging ! The tribunal obviously thought Susan contributed to the incident thus only 2 games .

Lewis received 3 weeks for the same offence .That is the only other case of biting that I know of .2 to 3 weeks is the going suspension.
The tribunal found Masten guilty of biting.Just like Lewis that stigma will stay with him for the rest of his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis received 3 weeks for the same offence .That is the only other case of biting that I know of .2 to 3 weeks is the going suspension.
The tribunal found Masten guilty of biting.Just like Lewis that stigma will stay with him for the rest of his life.
Lewis was the victim of massive racial abuse on the field and covert discrimination in the melbourne media - which drives the tribunal (PR)

Masten was not guilty of deliberate biting (the only real charge) but had to be found guilty to appease the media. Thus a tokenish penalty by a week tribunal

Can the thread title be changed to "Chris Masten, Guilty of Biting"?
Mods, is there any chance of updating the thread title? Allegation was perhaps a fair working title until the finding was handed down, surely it is time to update it now to reflect the final result.

The "allegation" when this thread commenced has now been upheld as fact. Masten has since been found guilty of biting by the Tribunal, has been suspended for the act and no appeal has been lodged by West Coast to dispute the result.

I would have thought allegation needs to be changed to "Chris Masten biting incident" at the very least? Or even as suggested above "Chris Masten: Guilty of biting Nick Suban"?

Several posters have called for this now. Referring to this matter as an allegation any longer is a falsehood and misnomer.

Mods, is there any chance of updating the thread title? Allegation was perhaps a fair working title until the finding was handed down, surely it is time to update it now to reflect the final result.

The "allegation" when this thread commenced has now been upheld as fact. Masten has since been found guilty of biting by the Tribunal, has been suspended for the act and no appeal has been lodged by West Coast to dispute the result.

I would have thought allegation needs to be changed to "Chris Masten biting incident" at the very least? Or even as suggested above "Chris Masten: Guilty of biting Nick Suban"?

Several posters have called for this now. Referring to this matter as an allegation any longer is a falsehood and misnomer.

I doubt the mods would change it. Hard enough to keep the peace between our two sets of fans.

Imagine the uproar from the eagles fans - be too many cards given etc. probably

Lewis was the victim of massive racial abuse on the field and covert discrimination in the melbourne media - which drives the tribunal (PR)

Masten was not guilty of deliberate biting (the only real charge) but had to be found guilty to appease the media. Thus a tokenish penalty by a week tribunal
He was found guilty. When did the tribunal says they believe he was not guilty of deliberate biting?

No-one knows or is interested how Susan got his scratch. More compelling is the panic eminating from the Dockers camp. Clocking blokes off the footy and carrying on like dropkicks is a sure sign of a team who knows its cooked (which it has been ever since McPharlin and Pavlich seized mid season). The players know it, the coach knows it and Docker fans know it. Docker admin knows it.

When the new Perth stadium plans were mooted WCE pushed for 80,000 seat capacity while the Dockers 60,000 ... terrified that if WCE's member waiting list was slashed many Docker members would jump ship back to WCE (a situation accelerated by the clubs impending sharp onfield decline).

No-one knows or is interested how Susan got his scratch. More compelling is the panic eminating from the Dockers camp. Clocking blokes off the footy and carrying on like dropkicks is a sure sign of a team who knows its cooked (which it has been ever since McPharlin and Pavlich seized mid season). The players know it, the coach knows it and Docker fans know it. Docker admin knows it.

When the new Perth stadium plans were mooted WCE pushed for 80,000 seat capacity while the Dockers 60,000 ... terrified that if WCE's member waiting list was slashed many Docker members would jump ship back to WCE (a situation accelerated by the clubs impending sharp onfield decline).
Meltdown

I doubt the mods would change it. Hard enough to keep the peace between our two sets of fans.

Imagine the uproar from the eagles fans - be too many cards given etc. probably
Agree the mods probably won't change it. However, if the Eagles fans earn cards because they can't handle the truth how is that a fair reason for this misnomer of a thread title to remain unchanged? If they are carded they are probably unreasonable posters who deserve to be carded.

Capture.PNG

AFL's own website manage to call it how it is, why can't BF? The word allegation insinuates that Suban may or may not have been correct in his accusation, he has been found to be correct by the Tribunal, and the ruling has not been disputed by West Coast by manner of an appeal. West Coast's argument at the Tribunal was that yes the bite occured, but that there were supposed extenuating circumstances, yet their argument and plea of not guilty failed, the player has been suspended for the act. Eagles fans are still free to sledge Suban's character all they like, however I think it is only fair and reasonable that the thread title reflect the end result?

Why should it remain a misnomer to appease the guilty party and his club's fans? They've already had a pretty good run in here!!

Agree the mods probably won't change it. However, if the Eagles fans earn cards because they can't handle the truth how is that a fair reason for this misnomer of a thread title to remain unchanged? If they are carded they are probably unreasonable posters who deserve to be carded.

View attachment 164515

AFL's own website manage to call it how it is, why can't BF? The word allegation insinuates that Suban may or may not have been correct in his accusation, he has been found to be correct by the Tribunal, and the ruling has not been disputed by West Coast by manner of an appeal. West Coast's argument at the Tribunal was that yes the bite occured, but that there were supposed extenuating circumstances, yet their argument and plea of not guilty failed, the player has been suspended for the act. Eagles fans are still free to sledge Suban's character all they like, however I think it is only fair and reasonable that the thread title reflect the end result?

Why should it remain a misnomer to appease the guilty party and his club's fans? They've already had a pretty good run in here!!
Geese having a cry over the thread title :$:$:$:$:$:$:$

Who gives a s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back