News Chris Newman discusses and signs for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee we are a bunch of tough pricks sometimes....

You mean like all the successful clubs are?

Sometimes there needs to be some sentiment in a game where emotion plays a big part in how a team performs each weekend but more importantly what goes on in the club mid-week.

It's has it's place when players actually still have something to offer, not when they're already a year past their use by date.

I'm sure Newman wont be expecting any gifted games - nor will he get any.

Don't count on either of those things.

As to the future champion kid whose spot he will be clogging up our list for... pffffttt.... Troy Taylor - Dan Connors - Relton Roberts - David Gourdis - Jayden Post - Cleve Hughes etc etc etc ......

On talent alone I'd have Connors & Taylor back over Newman any day. Either way, all those examples are irrelevent. I've seen enough of the likes of McDonough, Darrou, Arnot and even Dea & McIntosh to know they'd offer more going forward than Newman would. Jeez, even Helbig, Elton & Banfield have atributes we need more - and they're all hacks.

I don't mind the signing at all. Chris is an experienced player who still has alot to offer both on & off the field. Also I like the fact that the kids will be made to work hard and prove their worth at VFL (like Milsey). Chris's spot is there for a younger player to take if he can. I prefer a culture where the jumper is fought for tooth & nail. IMO it's the best way to go long term....

[QUOTE="Harmichael, post: 34736632, member: 130896"
On talent alone I'd have Connors & Taylor back over Newman any day. Either way, all those examples are irrelevent. I've seen enough of the likes of McDonough, Darrou, Arnot and even Dea & McIntosh to know they'd offer more going forward than Newman would. Jeez, even Helbig, Elton & Banfield have atributes we need more - and they're all hacks. [/QUOTE]

Not sure if your serious Harmichael ???:eek:o_O

P.S IMO it just shows that footy talent alone is not enough in culture change & long term success.....

You mean like all the successful clubs are?

Sometimes there needs to be some sentiment in a game where emotion plays a big part in how a team performs each weekend but more importantly what goes on in the club mid-week.

It's has it's place when players actually still have something to offer, not when they're already a year past their use by date.

I'm sure Newman wont be expecting any gifted games - nor will he get any.

Don't count on either of those things.

As to the future champion kid whose spot he will be clogging up our list for... pffffttt.... Troy Taylor - Dan Connors - Relton Roberts - David Gourdis - Jayden Post - Cleve Hughes etc etc etc ......

On talent alone I'd have Connors & Taylor back over Newman any day. Either way, all those examples are irrelevent. I've seen enough of the likes of McDonough, Darrou, Arnot and even Dea & McIntosh to know they'd offer more going forward than Newman would. Jeez, even Helbig, Elton & Banfield have atributes we need more - and they're all hacks.
Clearly not a fan of Newman - cool.
However it seems like the club value what he has to offer for 12 more months and I will go with their assessment I think.

Happy with the signing. It will be whether he keeps getting rewarded for 12 possession games or not. If he plays the way he did on the weekend then he's still go something to offer. Maybe need to look at managing him through though rather than having him play every game.

If he's on 200k ... He's only costing as much as a kid anyway FFS .. He's not a hack ... His 12 touches go where they should and he's a valuable member of the team and more importantly the club. Show some compassion and get a grip you campaigners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sold BUT if it's managed properly (aka doesn't steal games from kids) then it could work. If we delist Darrou and keep him I'll be pretty upset.

If he's on 200k ... He's only costing as much as a kid anyway FFS .. He's not a hack ... His 12 touches go where they should and he's a valuable member of the team and more importantly the club. Show some compassion and get a grip you campaigners

Two went straight OOTF on Sunday!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can teach the juniors in the VFL a couple of things....

How to not go near the ball.
Lol get a clue

You're happy with 13 possessions a game from a rebounding defender? Okay then.

Well he'll probably be down to 10 touches a game next year given he's steadily declined for the last 4 years so enjoy.

How to not go near the ball.

You're happy with 13 possessions a game from a rebounding defender? Okay then.

Well he'll probably be down to 10 touches a game next year given he's steadily declined for the last 4 years so enjoy.

Is footy based solely on how many possessions you get? Newman isn't in the side to provide rebound anyway. That's Houli's job.

Deserved, glad to have him play on. Still contributes a lot to the team. Anyone against this needs to get there head out of the sand.

Is footy based solely on how many possessions you get? Newman isn't in the side to provide rebound anyway. That's Houli's job.

So what's he the side then for if we're not measuring him on his output? He's certainly not a lockdown defender. Why don't we need more than one consistent rebounding defender?

Oh right, he's a great leader how could I forget. So doesn't matter if he doesn't touch it. :rolleyes:

So what's he the side then for if we're not measuring him on his output? He's certainly not a lockdown defender. Why don't we need more than one consistent rebounding defender?

Oh right, he's a great leader how could I forget. So doesn't matter if he doesn't touch it. :rolleyes:

He had 21 disposals last week

Dumb disposal logic says brandon ellis should be dropped because he didn't have as many, maybe even delist him? How about s. edwards, conca, foley, grimes, maric, morris, vlastuin, gordon, reiwoldt, griffiths and lennon all had less disposals, just terrible, none of them deserve conctracts.

We're a professional football club, not a charity or a retirement home.

Sent from reality using logic.

We're a professional football club, not a charity or a retirement home.

Sent from reality using logic.
We're past the point of gifting games to kids. If Dea or McDonough want his spot, they have to do the job when they come in. They've had chances but haven't held their spot

No it's not. Griffiths gets about 5 touches a week and is the second coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back