News Chris Newman discusses and signs for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Good decision by the club. His form in recent weeks has warranted it. Still best 22 when in form. Doubtful he'll be gifted games but I still hope he spends most of next year in the VFL because it will mean a stack of kids have gone past him.

There's some real delusion around here by some who seem to think our list runs so deep that there's 35+ players on our list that are either better or have the potential to be better than Newman. So long as he's selected on merit next year, then it's a no brainer for me.

No it's not. Griffiths gets about 5 touches a week and is the second coming.

McBean hasn't even played and everyone acts as if he's a star...Griff has shown form at AFL level

I really don't get a lot of the Newman hatred.

Hasn't been his best season by any stretch but he has still been a valuable contributor in games and some people clearly don't understand a lot of the organising and leading he does on the field. This stuff is invaluable especially when a number of our other back half players are quiet on the field.

Newy knows he won't be gifted games in 2015, and if a Dea/McIntosh etc manages to move ahead of him in the pecking order he'll be great in the VFL.

He had 21 disposals last week

Dumb disposal logic says brandon ellis should be dropped because he didn't have as many, maybe even delist him? How about s. edwards, conca, foley, grimes, maric, morris, vlastuin, gordon, reiwoldt, griffiths and lennon all had less disposals, just terrible, none of them deserve conctracts.

You're basing your argument off one game against the bottom team? Really?

It'd be interesting to know what the discussion was between Newy and the club.
He's been pretty handy in patches,looked ordinary in others.
We don't really know what was outlined to him in regards to next year.
It could be that it was put to him that he will really have his work cut out
If he keeps himself fit and up to speed he will be a handy pinch hitter- no guarantees,and a bit of twos footy is a real possibility.
He may have accepted that and roll the dice.
If that's the case I see no issue really.
You'd reckon that's the case too.
I don't see him blocking progress if that's the case because he will be a handy 20-28 type player with a lot of experience.
He may play a lot of games,he may not but I don't see that as holding anyone back, more lifting the bar as far as depth goes.
It's just really hard for me to form an opinion on this decision without knowing what was said.

I can only judge him by what he provides on-field and he's been very ordinary this year. He had his best game for the year against the Saints but meh.

He's stunting our development by playing next year IMO. Hardwick is making the mistake of thinking that our current list is good enough. It's not. We still have to develop young players and squeeze out guys like Newman, Grigg, Foley, Jackson, Thomas...etc.

It will be a real shame if he's getting a game ahead of McDonough, Dea and any other young talent.

It'd be interesting to know what the discussion was between Newy and the club.
He's been pretty handy in patches,looked ordinary in others.
We don't really know what was outlined to him in regards to next year.
It could be that it was put to him that he will really have his work cut out
If he keeps himself fit and up to speed he will be a handy pinch hitter- no guarantees,and a bit of twos footy is a real possibility.
He may have accepted that and roll the dice.
If that's the case I see no issue really.
You'd reckon that's the case too.
I don't see him blocking progress if that's the case because he will be a handy 20-28 type player with a lot of experience.
He may play a lot of games,he may not but I don't see that as holding anyone back, more lifting the bar as far as depth goes.
It's just really hard for me to form an opinion on this decision without knowing what was said.

Could say that about most decisions but that doesnt stop people talking crap on here

Well I'm a bit surprised by this decision, not by Newy but by the club. Provided he isn't gifted games as he was at times this year in a clear effort to get him to 250, I'm ok with it. He will provide valuable leadership off the field and provided his performances help us rather than hinder us and the development of a talented youngster, it can be a good thing. We aren't overly blessed with leadership at RFC so I can see why he could help.... But no gifting games - to Newy or anyone else....

ps. Was very good at the weekend, despite some uncharacteristic shanks....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only judge him by what he provides on-field and he's been very ordinary this year. He had his best game for the year against the Saints but meh.

He's stunting our development by playing next year IMO. Hardwick is making the mistake of thinking that our current list is good enough. It's not. We still have to develop young players and squeeze out guys like Newman, Grigg, Foley, Jackson, Thomas...etc.

It will be a real shame if he's getting a game ahead of McDonough, Dea and any other young talent.

Which is why the club is in a far better position to work out his true value to the team.... they see what he does. On-field it hasn't been his best by a long way but he isn't robinson crusoe there.... just happens that he's older.

We do need to develop talent to squeeze out the guys you said.... perhaps making them perform better than those guys to get a game would be good for their development.... if they can't out-perform ordinary AFL players, then we probably don't need them on the list, let alone in the 22. Same goes for McDonough, Dea.... perhaps they need an extra pre-season to overtake Newy and have him play a mentor role to them to help that.... It's up to them now....

You mean like all the successful clubs are?

Sometimes there needs to be some sentiment in a game where emotion plays a big part in how a team performs each weekend but more importantly what goes on in the club mid-week.

It's has it's place when players actually still have something to offer, not when they're already a year past their use by date.

I'm sure Newman wont be expecting any gifted games - nor will he get any.

Don't count on either of those things.

As to the future champion kid whose spot he will be clogging up our list for... pffffttt.... Troy Taylor - Dan Connors - Relton Roberts - David Gourdis - Jayden Post - Cleve Hughes etc etc etc ......

On talent alone I'd have Connors & Taylor back over Newman any day. Either way, all those examples are irrelevent. I've seen enough of the likes of McDonough, Darrou, Arnot and even Dea & McIntosh to know they'd offer more going forward than Newman would. Jeez, even Helbig, Elton & Banfield have atributes we need more - and they're all hacks.
You seen Taylor play lately ???

Here's the take home message:

Stay loyal to us and we'll stay loyal to you.

How does this affect our culture?

You expect all our younger players to sigh for less to stay at Richmond if we don't even respect our 250 gamers? You want us to say 'sign for less, but the second you're no value to us you're out the door'?

This new Richmond is a club to proud of and we honour our great loyal players 100% of the time and give them every chance possible to help us win a flag. Newman could play a role and hold up the cup next year, like Crawford did at the same age. He may not, but it's an absolute given he will help us get closer through his commitment and leadership.

Nice one newy.
I'd like to think the club know what they are doing here.
The guy has qualities that transcend kicks, marks and handballs. He captained the club during some pretty lean times. I dont think he'd be doing this with selfish motives.

On form for most of the year he is borderline best 22, but he does still provide a lot of leadership and direction on the field. I think his place should be at VFL level next year unless we have injuries and is this is how it turns out then its a smart decision. If he plays every week this is a dumb decision made by emotion.

I don't dispute the call. I'm happy with it. But maybe the club have an inkling/know that this will be Jackson's last year and that has contributed to the decision. He's suspended this week, and I can't see him breaking into a team that has just beaten Sydney (if that eventuates), especially after so-so form in the VFL. Has also hardly got on the park this year.

With two stalwarts in King and possibly Jackson gone maybe they feel the need to keep a quality leader around. A bit of cap space would be freed up as well.

And yet you want Ryan O'Keefe...

Yep. What's your issue?

One is a Norm Smith Medalist only two years ago, has lead a club in a successful era and helped changed a culture.

The other is Chris Newman. I respect him but he's no world beater and his performances this year have been deplorable.

What Ryan O'Keefe would bring to our club would far outweigh any con. Being age and lack of afl gametime this season.

Seeing a few of his reserve grade games, he's still got the ability both as a part time inside midfielder or a third tall. His versatility would be an asset.

Guys like Ryan O'Keefe are pure gold in a club trying to establish success.

He's a pure leader of men. For minimal cost we could reap significant benefits.

Personally i think he'll be another "1yr to many" story.
Impossible as its already two years too many now
WTF where is the broom Peggy?
We have to put up with this under performing list clogger for another season
So lets get rid of OH Helbig Arnott and Madonna for this selfish
human being. Chris Newman does not care about the future of the RFC. It's all about him as he offers us nothing nothing and absolutely nothing
Played one decent game all year against the St Kilda school boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back