News Chris Newman discusses and signs for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Really staggering decision by the club. It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about sport that Newy is cooked. Just constantly goes to ground in contests because he just doesn't have the legs anymore to stay on his feet through contests, he gets pushed off the ball by lightweights, and his complete one sidedness combined with a lack of sharpness is now a liability.

You can see he is still busting a gut out there but if that's all it took to get a game half the people on this board could get a game.

Lastly, this whole "deserves to go out on his terms" rubbish is just that, complete garbage, no one is bigger than the club. You need people in positions at the club with enough strength of character to be able to tell players when their time is up, especially now with such juicy contracts on the line.

Impossible as its already two years too many now
WTF where is the broom Peggy?
We have to put up with this under performing list clogger for another season
So lets get rid of OH Helbig Arnott and Madonna for this selfish
human being. Chris Newman does not care about the future of the RFC. It's all about him as he offers us nothing nothing and absolutely nothing
Played one decent game all year against the St Kilda school boys.
How can you accuse Newy of being selfish?
Not sure why your having a go at the President(Well i can speculate why),Even Mr Magic would know that Football department list decisions are left to those in the football department.;)

I don't think Newman deserves the level of venom that is being directed at him, absolutely disgusting.

You don't have to agree with it but that man has done more for our club than pretty much every single one of you, and continues to.

Take your personal vendetta out of it.

Yep first picked this great leader pfffftt
No one has the bxlls to drop him
Gifted a final last year when he was half crippled and played like it
Selfish is his middle name

I would not call Newman selfish by any stretch. The stuff this bloke has done for the club during our dark years under Wallace would highlight that. You can thank Newman for guys like lids/martin still being tigers and not playing at other clubs. he even knocked back offers from other clubs when he was in his prime. Also he was the perfect example of club before self when he let go the captaincy to Cotchin.

With that said, you would be dreaming to think Chris will be taking another spot is say Madona was ready to push him out. Chris still adds value to the side, just look at some of his performances late in the season when he was a strong part in resting back our momentum. Bottom line, if Chris form nose dives next year he wont be played but he will still add value off the field.

Also saying he was gifted a final last year, I strongly disagree with that. How quickly people forget that he was a integral part in getting us to that first final. People are quick to forget his example during the Hawks game that got us there. Anyway, haters will hate but realistically we have offered a player with experience a one year deal, for little cost, who can help with making sure the players stay focused. I see no harm in that.

I would not call Newman selfish by any stretch. The stuff this bloke has done for the club during our dark years under Wallace would highlight that. You can thank Newman for guys like lids/martin still being tigers and not playing at other clubs. he even knocked back offers from other clubs when he was in his prime. Also he was the perfect example of club before self when he let go the captaincy to Cotchin.

With that said, you would be dreaming to think Chris will be taking another spot is say Madona was ready to push him out. Chris still adds value to the side, just look at some of his performances late in the season when he was a strong part in resting back our momentum. Bottom line, if Chris form nose dives next year he wont be played but he will still add value off the field.

Also saying he was gifted a final last year, I strongly disagree with that. How quickly people forget that he was a integral part in getting us to that first final. People are quick to forget his example during the Hawks game that got us there. Anyway, haters will hate but realistically we have offered a player with experience a one year deal, for little cost, who can help with making sure the players stay focused. I see no harm in that.
All irrelevant as he won't get dropped
Greater players ago are still capable have all gone before him this year,
This is unselfishness and loyal to the clubs future no Chris Newman he's a mr me me me me me me man

I am cool with it, as long as he doesnt get an automatic game and he is picked on form not reputation

Exactly. That is why i am stumped why some are suggesting its 100% guaranteed that wont happen. It is like they can see into the future. If they can, I hope they give hardwick some intel on what moves and when to make them on Saturday night.

I don't think Newman deserves the level of venom that is being directed at him, absolutely disgusting.

You don't have to agree with it but that man has done more for our club than pretty much every single one of you, and continues to.

I think it comes from the Terry Wallace will take us to a flag brigade.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once upon a time we respected all our past Captains, Must be a gen y and z thing.

Also in todays HUN (this will upset everyone) that he still hasn't ruled out 2016.

Really happy for Newy and a bit surprised and disappointed with a bit of the flak he's copping to be honest.

Selfish? I think he'd be just about the last person on the list I'd call 'selfish'. Puts his body on the line time and time again. He's not selfish for wanting to play on - he genuinely thinks he can offer something to the team in 2015 (and I agree with him) both on field and off field. He could only be considered 'selfish' if he was staying around purely to pick up a paycheck (I can't see him being on much coin either...).

He's a leader, pure and simple. If he plays his role and his form merits a game, so be it. I don't want him being gifted games - and I don't think Chris would want that either. IMO, he's still in our top 25-30 odd players at the club (and his experience will be immense). For what it's worth, I like Dea and McDonough as well but I'd rather them do what Batchelor and Miles have done and forced their ways into the side.

Consider the wider message too of keeping him around too - it shows the playing group that in an age of free agency and player power, the club looks after its own. Frankly, I'd have been embarrassed if the club tried to force him out and I reckon the playing group wouldn't react positively either.

10years is what Newman has milked the experienced concept
Lets he honest we are not a team of little cubs anymore. We have leaders everywhere now. Newman is ruining our list management bc of his selfishness and our administrators lack of foresight to tap him on the shoulders
He will do nothing for our flag aspirations

Ridiculous

Happy with the decision.

Boy, some of posters really do sook it up and throw the toys from the cot when the club does something they disagree with. They're embarrassing themselves.

It's almost like some of these posters are Melbourne trolls trying to get us to follow in the footsteps of the Demons.

Go Newy!

Last edited:
Really happy for Newy and a bit surprised and disappointed with a bit of the flak he's copping to be honest.

Selfish? I think he'd be just about the last person on the list I'd call 'selfish'. Puts his body on the line time and time again. He's not selfish for wanting to play on - he genuinely thinks he can offer something to the team in 2015 (and I agree with him) both on field and off field. He could only be considered 'selfish' if he was staying around purely to pick up a paycheck (I can't see him being on much coin either...).

He's a leader, pure and simple. If he plays his role and his form merits a game, so be it. I don't want him being gifted games - and I don't think Chris would want that either. IMO, he's still in our top 25-30 odd players at the club (and his experience will be immense). For what it's worth, I like Dea and McDonough as well but I'd rather them do what Batchelor and Miles have done and forced their ways into the side.

Consider the wider message too of keeping him around too - it shows the playing group that in an age of free agency and player power, the club looks after its own. Frankly, I'd have been embarrassed if the club tried to force him out and I reckon the playing group wouldn't react positively either.

Exactly right. All these people saying he's keeping Dea/Donuts etc out of the side need to wake up. If said players were doing so good they'd have taken Newman's spot. Our match commitee are better than gifting games to veteran players.

Exactly. That is why i am stumped why some are suggesting its 100% guaranteed that wont happen. It is like they can see into the future. If they can, I hope they give hardwick some intel on what moves and when to make them on Saturday night.
It's happened all this year... :p

Its called an educated guess based on past behaviours

Exactly right. All these people saying he's keeping Dea/Donuts etc out of the side need to wake up. If said players were doing so good they'd have taken Newman's spot. Our match commitee are better than gifting games to veteran players.

I hope you're not one of the supporters that bag Grigg, Chaplin or Houli ;)

I'm with DrMike how about a bit of respect? I suppose we're winning lately, so the nay-sayers have to post their bullshit in at least one of the threads on the first page.

Good on ya, Newman. I look forward to some more lovely left-foot exploits in 2015.

Apologies for the wall of text. Just my opinion but...

Chris Newman absolutely deserves a one year contract extension at the club.

If we take an in depth look into Chris Newman's 2014 AFL Season it shows that whilst not being an amazing season, Newy displayed enough to justify that he remains a player capable of being in our best 22 and maintaining healthy competition for spots that is important for a long season. That isn't taking into account the priceless leadership qualities, the ability to direct play and team mates as well as the experience that the soon to be 250 gamer brings to the side which can't be statistically measured but adds another dimension to our side.

Round 1, Gold Coast - 15 Disposals (67%DE), 2 Tackles and 7 Inside 50's (team high), 1 Goal assist. Newy played in a forward role that was a major change from the half back role he had played for most of his career. The behind he scored showed his quality as he got away from 2 GCS players, sprinted from the congestion and narrowly missed. He delivered to Reiwoldt and Vickery on multiple occasions with good kicks inside 50. Whilst not an amazing game by any standards, it was a solid contribution on a poor night overall for the tigers.

Round 2, Carlton - 17 Disposals (82.5%DE), 5 Rebound 50's (team high), 2 Goal Assists. Read the play beautifully to intercept a kick out, then kicked to Shane Edwards for the teams first goal. Newman's one of the best readers of the play we have in our side.

Round 3, Western Bulldogs - 11 Disposals (82%DE), 4 Tackles, 2 R50 & I50, 4 1%. Contributed in a few ways but a quiet game in a poor performance for the whole team.

Round 4, Collingwood - 11 Disposals (72.7%DE), 7 Tackles (team high), 5 R50, 2 Goal Assists, 1 Goal. Not a big disposal game but led by example by tackling. Nice goal with quick thinking out of a pack.

Round 5, Brisbane - 13 Disposals (92.3%DE), 2 Tackles, 2 R50. A quite but effective display. Barely put a foot wrong when he had it, his ball use is really efficient and elite in that regard but had relatively little impact on the game.

Round 6, Hawthorn - 17 Disposals (100%DE), 3 R50 & I50. Clinical with the ball. Always seems to find a target when kicking I50.

Round 7, Geelong - 8 Disposals (75%DE), 1 Goal Assist. By far the worst game of the season for Newman, poor display as he failed to get really involved in the game and suffered a medial calf strain that kept him out of the side for 6 weeks. His class showed through with a great ball to Vickery which had Bruce and Denis in the commentary box raving like they do about Cyril.

Round 13, Fremantle - 16 Disposals (87.5%DE), 1 Goal, 3 I50. Successful comeback from injury, effective with the ball and a good comeback goal from 50 out.

Round 15, St Kilda - 9 Disposals (88.9%DE), 2 Goals, 4 I50, 1 Goal Assist. Small disposal game but had an impact on the scoreboard and did a good job as a forward.

Round 16, Brisbane - 16 Disposals (93.7%DE), 2 R50 & I50, 1 GA. Typical Newman game, just very efficient.

Round 17, Port - 11 Disposals (90.9%DE), 5 Tackles. One of his quieter ones but still led by example with his tackling.

Round 18, WCE - 12 Disposals (66.7%DE), 4 Tackles, 6 R50 (team high), In the very wet conditions which was a slog was part of a good team performance and showcased his skills rebounding off half back.

Round 19, GWS - 12 Disposals (83.3%DE), 2 R50 & I50. Definitely one of his quieter games.

Round 20, Dons - 13 Disposals (84.6%DE), 3 R50, 4 I50, 1 GA.
341490_gl.jpg

Round 21, Crows - 12 Disposals (66.7%DE), 4 Tackles, 3 R50, 4I50. A quiet game but still played a role.

Round 22, Saints - 21 Disposals (85.7%DE), 5 Tackles, 3 I50. Best game of the season and he was subbed out in the 3rd Quarter. Great tackling and positioning off half back. Rested for a 5 goal, 40 disposal match winning performance next week against Sydney

In an injury interrupted season, Newman's provided consistent displays that showcase his elite skills using the football and his 14 years of experience. He was the 2nd most efficient of all Richmond players with the ball with a DE of 83.2% (Chappy has 84.2%),equal 7th in Goal Assists, 12th in Inside 50's and 7th in Rebound 50's. When on his game Newman can be incredibly dangerous offensively with classy footwork and his defensive qualities are exceptional as he is always able and willing to apply pressure, solid in the contest,reads the game well and a reasonably good tackler. Newman bleeds for the jumper, a former captain of the club he leads by example and commands respect as they all love him. His presence on the field would inspire confidence in his team mates and his ability is trusted more than a younger player coming through such as Donut or Dea, who have much more to gain and a lot to prove by playing in the 2nds.

As others have stated, it is also a good policy from the club of treating club legends with the respect they deserve. It sends a good message to the playing group that their service is respected and honoured and letting Newy go out in his own terms is the right thing to do. If the wheels do come off next season and a younger player comes through then that's a good sign of development and Newman can still provide a great presence off the field so the club isn't really losing out either way.

Basically, if you don't feel like reading all that (fair enough)...great news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back