Toast Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
we only seem to roast the players around here, but now i think chris scott deserves a mention

have been over the moon with the appointment of scott

listening to him speak in the media, such compuser fluency and precision with his words and responses, a fantastic communicator, outcoached malthouse last night, which was very impressive

absolutely thrilled with what he has brought to the club

TOAST! chris scott:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Although only a third of the way in to the season this appointment is stacking up as one of the recruiting coups of the off-season:thumbsu:

^ Very funny Reg!

I've been so impressed with Chris since his appointment, heard him on radio this morning saying that he was approached by GFC & asked to apply for job-GREAT work by the club :thumbsu:

The Port Adelaide decision to go Primus>Scott may well end up being the sequel to Thorp>Selwood. Early days of course, the wheels may fall off mid-year or we may get killed with injuries to irreplaceable personnel!

Although only a third of the way in to the season this appointment is stacking up as one of the recruiting coups of the off-season:thumbsu:

Yes.....and we got a fair idea of just how good a coup it was when Fremantle people came to this board to tell us how good he was......

They knew we had snared a gem.

Has the potential to be the best coach we've had. Hope I haven't gone too early.:eek:

Not only has he shown himself to be thorough in his preparation, an extremely good match day coach, he's also thinking longer term. He apparently said to his assistants shortly after the game that we have to devise ways of having players like Scarlo and Enright pass on to the younger players how they do what they do. At a time when you would understand him being caught up in the moment.

The players apparently have huge respect for his football nous and the way he goes about things and Tarrant attributes his resurgence as a player to Chris.

He's a beauty!

I also thought the comment by Nigel Lappin after the game was informative when he evidently said the win was great but at this stage of proceedings it was as much a "fact finding" mission for us.

Love the fact he starts off press conferences by saying to the media 'this is the narrative you're going to run with and that's fine and when we drop one you'll run with this other narrative and that's fine as well.'

Smart guy.

Agree with all of the above; I think I'm developing a major girlcrush on him. Love the way he speaks publicly - he strikes me as extremely intelligent and articulate. He has also demonstrated how good a tactician he is, knows instinctively when a move needs to be made and makes it. I thought 5-2 would be a good result at this stage, but 7-0!!!

Dad went to the St Kilda game in round 1 and commented on the really positive body language towards him from the players during the 1/4 time and 3/4 time huddles; he thought it was obvious how well they've responded to him right from the beginning (also, his reaction in the coaches' box after that win was absolute gold). Awesome appointment by the club, and it seems to have really rejuvenated the team. :)

My brother went to High SChool with him.. Was a good bloke , fierce competitor and an absolute psycho... lol.. Just what we needed :D

Toast :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Love the fact he starts off press conferences by saying to the media 'this is the narrative you're going to run with and that's fine and when we drop one you'll run with this other narrative and that's fine as well.'

Indeed, also love how he keeps telling people we have only tweaked the game plan slightly. Then when somone asks more, effectively his response is: figure it out yourself.

Also like the respect he has for the playing group. Realises the team is made up of some absolute champions and recognises their input is valuable. Clearly a two-way thing going on and I think the results are speaking for themselves.

Has ticked all the boxes so far and then some. Can't believe how assured he is with the Media , so great to have an intelligent and articulate Coach. Brave and inspired choice by Cooky and Co.
As others have noted Chris was a very integral part of the Freo resurgence in moulding that backline into something formidable over 2 years - let's see what he can do with our entire squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dwayne Russell said a few weeks back that all of the Geelong players he had spoken to in Geelong have commented without prompting how great the new coach is. That is a massive endorsement for a rookie coach and you can see the players are playing for him.

I really like the fact that Scott put his hand up and acknowledged the coaching "error" of substituting Ling too early, although it can be argued that wasn't an error at all. His honesty, clarity of thought and composure are refreshing, and it's such a nice change to listen to an articulate speaker after all the years of Bomber speak.

I really like having a coach with more than one facial expression.

Naaah mate. That other facial expression is actually his brother Brad impersonating him.

I am very happy with Chris Scott so far, but let's reserve judgement for when things aren't going quite so well, as will inevitably happen at some stage this year.
But evidence so far is of a class act who is respectful of what this group has achieved, and who has clearly identified our strengths and weaknesses and those of our opponents and planned accordingly.

i am not a thompson sledger, he coached us to two premierships, but i believe he had his strengths and weaknesses which became apparent after a while

i thought thompson was an outstanding development coach, he works with youth better than any other coach, he was very attacking and direct with his coaching styles,

i didnt think much of him as a defensive mind, yes we had a very good structured defense which kept teams to low scores, but we could have defended much better all over the ground than we did, this was a major reason for our loss in the 08 grand final and something which cost is significantly last year

his match day coaching wasnt the best, he got out coached on a regular basis by some of the better sides who defended and moved the ball wider

i think his move this year was assentially needed, overdue infact, a year overdue, i think partially he had such loyalty to the group of players, that he probably didnt think he was up to making some of the tough calls which would have followed if he stayed

overall i would have given him the following marks for each aspect of his coaching

development- 10/10
motivation- 7/10
match day coaching- 4/10
tactically- 6/10

with chris scott, i think he has a fantastic defensive mindset and approach to football, which is primarily what the game is based upon now, also he has this real unique trait about him, i just feel with chris scott, and i can only say this about two other coaches in the AFL of the past few years who have it as well, he really has this feel of respect to him that everything around the club he touches he just gets the absolute 100% most out of, everytime the players have run out this season they have given 100% of their courage and commitment to whats necessary to get us across the line, you look at chris scott and you can instantly tell this is what he would bring wherevr he goes

tactically i think chris scott is very very good, alot of what he has brought to the club is what thompson wasnt so good at and hence the improvement

I am very happy with Chris Scott so far, but let's reserve judgement for when things aren't going quite so well, as will inevitably happen at some stage this year.
But evidence so far is of a class act who is respectful of what this group has achieved, and who has clearly identified our strengths and weaknesses and those of our opponents and planned accordingly.

In wagering parlance that would be termed having a bet each way. :)

I liked Bomber until 2006.
I loved that we got 2 flags under him.
I hated his 2008 GF coaching, and his 2010 year.

CS so far so good. Really like the way he seems to think before he answers a question, and it is easy when there are no losses.
Like his attempts to have our players totally versatile and flexible.
He seems to have thought through this press business, and we have the personnel to carry out his instructions.

The Port Adelaide decision to go Primus>Scott may well end up being the sequel to Thorp>Selwood. Early days of course, the wheels may fall off mid-year or we may get killed with injuries to irreplaceable personnel!

I think with any other coach we could be 5-2 or 6-1 due to us having a very healthy list, but no matter who coaches Port they would still be roughly where they are. A better coach might have gotten them over the line against the Gold Coast but thats about it. Primus is a poor coach, Scott looks to be an excellent one. But Port lack depth and talent and will struggle this year and probably next year barring some sort of miracle.

I think with any other coach we could be 5-2 or 6-1 due to us having a very healthy list, but no matter who coaches Port they would still be roughly where they are. A better coach might have gotten them over the line against the Gold Coast but thats about it. Primus is a poor coach, Scott looks to be an excellent one. But Port lack depth and talent and will struggle this year and probably next year barring some sort of miracle.

Chris Scott must be thanking his lucky stars that he was beaten out by Primus for the Port job!

I really rate Scott as a coach, but have no doubt that if he was coaching Port rather than the Cats his record would be abysmal, due to the limited talent available.

Much easier to look good as a coach when you have players of Geelong's calibre to carry out your game plan.

So far, so good for sure. I'll save my assessment until the end of the year though. But a bit silly to compare Scott to Primus at this stage. Scott himself has attributed in large part this seasons success to the players themselves. He has some champion players at his disposal who have played together for 7-8 years. Port's list isnt even comparable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back