Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing well doesn't just depend on the guys we recruited, though. There are older players on the list who will be hard to replace if the opportunity isn't taken within the next couple of years. Not a lot of young talent coming through now.

You're right, it doesn't rely on just the recruits. But to be fair, I don't think that was ever implied.

They've recruited to strengthen and complement the existing list, not to do it all on their own.

I don't hate Scott. At the end of the article he says 'I'm not trying to manage expectations either,' why would he say that unless he'd presumed his previous statements would be taken to mean that he was trying to manage expectations? I haven't heard the entirety of what he said on 1116 so it's quite possible I have got the context of what he was saying wrong but from what's written in the article it certainly seems to me that he's making contradictory statements.

Forgive me. Your regular, scathing and derisive comments about Scott gave me the impression you seriously disliked him. Moving on.

They were talking about expectations being high for next year.

Scott saying he's not trying to manage the expectations says, to me anyway, that he accepts those expectations as valid and he won't be attempting to downplay them.

Sounds to me like a man who's up for the challenge.

Not everyone fellas but the majority of our fans are content.

Look, we exit 2014 in straight sets and then come out the following year and put in a woeful performance right across the board and yet, you all feel more than happy to kneel before our coach and salute him as though he's onto something extraordinary. We are witnessing no improvement in key areas. We have witnessed a host of young talent exit to find opportunities elsewhere. Some have basically left as part of their own personal choices which very rarely happens at Geelong.

As far as I'm concerned, this coach, along with a couple of others he brought in when he began have not only hurt the clubs prospects for the future, but the game plan is completely flawed. It's a defensive mindset stalling some of the games most creative goal scorers. We are basically an uncontested version of the Fremantle Dockers right now.

If this coach does not make finals with the crop of talent he has at his disposal in 2016, he's gotta go. I for one will be lobbying strongly to see this happen and I'm confident there will be quite a few who feel the same way.

Again, you've made a sweeping generalisation about everyone bar yourself, and likely BB and BC, and presumed to know how we all feel.

In doing so, you also presume to be superior to everyone else in your judgement and knowledge.

Big call.

Don't dismiss the opinions of others with such arrogance.

I do not think all of the Cat's fans and posters have seen the serious potential this list has if we have few injuries.
This thread isn't about the potential of our players it's about our coach, personally I think we have great potential player wise but I just don't think we have a coach who's tactically astute enough or tough enough on the players to get the best out of them.

Forgive me. Your regular, scathing and derisive comments about Scott gave me the impression you seriously disliked him. Moving on.

Perhaps it's nothing personal. That'd the standard reason given when scathing and derisive comments are made about players. Depending on who the player is, it seems perfectly acceptable.

Forgive me. Your regular, scathing and derisive comments about Scott gave me the impression you seriously disliked him.
I do dislike his coaching, and his media statements both pre and post match that insult Geelong supporters and the wider football publics intelligence.

I do dislike his coaching, and his media statements both pre and post match that insult Geelong supporters and the wider football publics intelligence.
I think he could do anything with this list, but I can't stand his press-conferences.
His smug comments after the Hawthorn loss in 14' still stick with me.

Although at times I may get caught in the heat of the moment after a Geelong loss and will more often than not call for Scott's head, I do not believe he has had the personnel to prove his coaching potential in his tenure so far. We saw what happened in 2011, though hindsight says that he was riding on Bomber's coat tails. Since 2011, our list has seen massive structural changes, with a grand total of 8 players from our 2011 premiership team remaining in our squad. These are Lonergan, Enright, Taylor, Selwood, Bartel, Mackie, Hawkins and Duncan, the majority of whom are aged, past their prime and have been for a while now (though still decent, serviceable players nonetheless). Exits this year were Kelly, Stokes and Johnson: replacing players of their calibre is not as easy as it seems. A problem that many a Cats supporter seem to have is their indifference towards change. Yes, a certain amount of trust and faith is invested in the foundations of arguably the greatest Geelong team ever (Cook, Wells and Co.) however having succeeded previously does not correlate with success being replicated. The likelihood of us finding direct replacements for the likes of Ablett, Scarlett, Corey, Ottens, Chappy, Bartel, Johnson et al is tale-like. I doubt we will again see a Cats team so impressive, not only on paper but in team cohesion. Which is why I find it illogical and, frankly, unreasonable when supporters expect
*players sidelined during Geelong's period of success and our failed pursuits of success (2012-2014) to come into the side and dominate statistics in the A grade; this is not a blight on their talent or potential, but it is a decisive factor in their output to date.
*Chris Scott to emulate Bomber's dynasty; if this fails, he is directly responsible for Geelong sustaining top 4/top 8 finishes. Anything short of that is considered a spite on his coaching abilities, though our entire list has been all but completely overturned in rebuild. It was not a simple transition either. Players did not retire simultaneously, some of our younguns were sidelined a lot longer than they should have been and to ignore the fact that we have been particularly susceptible to injuries over the past few years is ignorance at its finest. For those who love to compare our current side and coaching staff to that of 07-11, take into account the lack of fanfare for our players and staff from 1999-2006. At that stage, none had the laudability they would eventually earn had it not been for persistence.

Scott has a very high bar set for him, and I refuse to put a line through him just yet. I won't claim that we will reach the heights of our 2007-2011 era again, however, traditionally persistence has paid off at Geelong. Something must have been seen in Scott for the club to remain faithful to him, something that perhaps we can't see yet or may well never be qualified to see. To remain a flag threat, bar an injury-plagued 2015, in the midst of a rebuild is already promising for me, and it would seem the GFC reserve similar judgement.

Ok, you dislike everything he both does, and says.

Easy to understand why there is an impression you hate him.

Is there anything you DO like about him?

Again, you've made a sweeping generalisation about everyone bar yourself, and likely BB and BC, and presumed to know how we all feel.

In doing so, you also presume to be superior to everyone else in your judgement and knowledge.

Big call.

Don't dismiss the opinions of others with such arrogance.

Tell me, do you rebuke Jub's frequent 'DQ' remarks as well? Because they also seem like sweeping generalisations, they also dismiss the opinions of others with arrogance, and they've been happening a lot longer. They also - as evidenced in the update about Mitch Duncan - now appear before any remarks have even been made.

If you're happy for the opinions of dissenters to be criticised, then it should be fine the other way too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me, do you rebuke Jub's frequent 'DQ' remarks as well? Because they also seem like sweeping generalisations, they also dismiss the opinions of others with arrogance, and they've been happening a lot longer. They also - as evidenced in the update about Mitch Duncan - now appear before any remarks have even been made.

If you're happy for the opinions of dissenters to be criticised, then it should be fine the other way too.

At least they have a bit of humour about them. Something which is much needed in here sometimes....you never know Partridge, if you cracked a joke every now and then you could open yourself up to a whole new fan base! :D

Last edited:
Ok, you dislike everything he both does, and says.

Easy to understand why there is an impression you hate him.

Is there anything you DO like about him?
Well I've said in previous posts that he is a good communicator with the players, I think he prepares well for games at times but struggles as a match day coach when the opposition throw stuff at him he hasn't planned for, and he handles himself well at club events, promo events etc.

I'm sure that's the attitude one of the best-versed clubs in a professional league will have towards their coach. A prevalent ideology throughout the Geelong Footy Club, I'm certain.
Well considering we're beginning to financially struggle again I think it'd be a huge consideration. In fact the AFL itself is getting very worried about clubs that have to pay out sacked coaches salaries leading to Leigh Mathews and Bomber Thompson both calling for lower wages for the head coaching position.

No, because I usually take his posts as expressions of humour, rather than a serious attempt to assert his opinion as being superior to others.

Nor have I seen him assume to know the thoughts of every other poster, and be derisive of them collectively because of that assumption.

If I thought he were doing that repetitively, then yes, I would question him.

You should read the posts, Bobby is arguing right now that Guthrie, Caddy, Duncan etc are talented players and geelong_crazy26 is arguing they aren't talented, my point being how can you call a guy that's arguing we have talented midfielders (a positive statement) against someone arguing the negative is a grumblebum?

I never said they aren't talented players , I said they are not yet A grade midfielders.

I think they are all about to become A grade midfielders over the next 2 years .

The funny thing is that Scott gets next to no criticism from the media and they are the ones who's questions he in answering .

Not 1 person in the media with some type of profile has ever questioned Scotts coaching ability .

Rightly or wrongly people in the media went after Thompson with baseball bats.

The funny thing is that Scott gets next to no criticism from the media and they are the ones who's questions he in answering .

Not 1 person in the media with some type of profile has ever questioned Scotts coaching ability .

Rightly or wrongly people in the media went after Thompson with baseball bats.

Scott handles the media very well. One of his strengths is the way he carries himself in interviews. I think Bomber used to give a bit back which the media struggle with so it becomes open season (a la Mick Malthouse).

Well I've said in previous posts that he is a good communicator with the players, I think he prepares well for games at times but struggles as a match day coach when the opposition throw stuff at him he hasn't planned for, and he handles himself well at club events, promo events etc.
I'm not particularly anti Scott - probably have splinters in my bum from sitting on the fence.

But I do think that this is a fair statement. My concern about his coaching has been the apparent lack of a Plan B, or an effective response to tactical moves by the opposing coach.

I never said they aren't talented players , I said they are not yet A grade midfielders.

I think they are all about to become A grade midfielders over the next 2 years .
I think that Duncan was going to be A grade this year until he was injured. I agree with the others

That's because he gives them every answer they want, and I mean literally every answer. So if they ask him something like 'you struggled in contested possessions tonight and have for a while now, any answers?' He'll say something like 'we've got a young midfield and players we're developing in there which presents us with a challenge at times with contested possessions and other areas in the game as well but having said that we also think when those players are at their best they can compete with anyone.' He's always saying stuff like 'having said that,' 'it would be remiss of me to say,' or 'but we also think,' to use as connecting phrases for ultimately pretty contradictory statements. He's smart how he handles the media because he gives them negative and positive statements within all his answers which means any angle they want to take on Geelong that game they have quotes presented by him to help support their view of the contest....So why would they be critical of him?
That's why I said before he insults the intelligence of supporters and the footy public with his answers because really he says a lot in his press conferences but there is no definitive meaning or answer behind any of it, sometimes I'd appreciate some earnest answers about issues with in the game or season that are concerning a lot of supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back