Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 2008 Grand Final it doesn't matter as Thompson will be remembered as a better coach than Scott regardless, Bomber has two flags and Scott will end his career with one.

On the 2008 Grand Final it doesn't matter as Thompson will be remembered as a better coach than Scott regardless, Bomber has two flags and Scott will end his career with one.
Can I get next Saturday's lotto numbers Nostradamus:rolleyes:

Can I get next Saturday's lotto numbers Nostradamus:rolleyes:
No but i'll give you another prediction I reckon Bomber Thompson has more chance of coaching a team to another AFL premiership than Chris Scott does.

No but i'll give you another prediction I reckon Bomber Thompson has more chance of coaching a team to another AFL premiership than Chris Scott does.
Yes However you have a penchant against the incumbent so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Ha, ha. I am going to enter it, regardless of my opinion of Scott the opportunity to be in the coaches box during a game would be awesome.
You would come out with a lot more respect for the role and the coach.

Doubt Bomber will ever get another coaching gig again in AFL- pretty outrageous prediction, but consistent with your (lack of) appreciation of Scott.

Bomber Thompson was much more heavily criticised by the media than Scott has been so far.

Not one person in the media has questioned Scott's coaching ability to date .He has just done such an amazing job .

Thompson on the other hand was hammered and put down often by a number of high profile people in the media .

just watch these 2 videos

Bomber Thompson was much more heavily criticised by the media than Scott has been so far.

Not one person in the media has questioned Scott's coaching ability to date .He has just done such an amazing job .

Thompson on the other hand was hammered and put down often by a number of high profile people in the media .

just watch these 2 videos

Absolutely but I suspect that he will start to get increased scrutiny as some of his decision making has been poor.

More too it than we chocked. Thompson was completely outcoached .Look at these stats

Bounces
Geelong 8
Hawthorn 38

Marks
Geelong 81
Hawthorn 135

Thompsons game plane of playing on at all cost predominantly through the centre corridor gave good sides too much of an opportunity to create turnovers against us with not enough coverage so we could stop those sides scoring from those turnovers.
Not more to it, we just choked. You like to harp on about meaningless stats, well in 2008 Bomber had a 92.0% winning average, we only lost 2 games for the year, he's game plan was fine its just that we choked in the game that matters most.

That same game plan won us a flag in 2007 and 2009 when we didn't choke, so why couldn't good sides stop us wining those flags. You just have a blind love affair with CS and you're willing to rubbish Bomber just so you can pump up CS's, well pump him up as much as you like but only when he surpasses the amount of flags that Bomber has won for us, until then he lags behind Bomber as the better coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That same game plan won us a flag in 2007 and 2009 when we didn't choke, so why couldn't good sides stop us wining those flags. You just have a blind love affair with CS and you're willing to rubbish Bomber just so you can pump up CS's, well pump him up as much as you like but only when he surpasses the amount of flags that Bomber has won for us, until then he lags behind Bomber as the better coach.

Yep, the Excluded Middle fallacy; it's alive and well here. Apparently if you like Scott, you have to say he's great, and then you have to rubbish Thompson, as if that somehow makes Scott better. It doesn't.

Here's an alternative; they are both very, very good coaches. Scott is a good coach now, and Thompson was a good coach then. There would be seasons where you would have to judge their efforts as exceptional (easily 2007 and 2009 for Thompson, easily 2011 for Scott). There will also be times where they could perhaps have done things a little better.

Is Scott the best coach for us right now? Don't know. His record is very good, and his true test is only on him now. We won't find out for sure for another 2-3 years. He's a very good coach, I'm sure of that. But he's not perfect, and - just like Thompson - he's allowed to be criticised.

Which part - that Scott is a good coach and Thompson was as well?

What part of that makes you uncomfortable?
Apparently if you like Scott, you have to say he's great, and then you have to rubbish Thompson, as if that somehow makes Scott better. It doesn't.
That gross exaggeration...

That gross exaggeration...

Fair enough. Read GC26's comments about Thompson and tell me how far off the mark it is. In particular, highlighting the 2007 Prelim Final (where we almost lost the premiership, a remarkable phrase in itself), while studiously downplaying the out of the world performances in the Qualifying Final and Grand Final seems a little peculiar. Even for me.

Fair enough. Read GC26's comments about Thompson and tell me how far off the mark it is. In particular, highlighting the 2007 Prelim Final (where we almost lost the premiership, a remarkable phrase in itself), while studiously downplaying the out of the world performances in the Qualifying Final and Grand Final seems a little peculiar. Even for me.
so 1 person then? Entitled to his opinion on Bomber but it is only 1 persons opinion.

so 1 person then? Entitled to his opinion on Bomber but it is only 1 persons opinion.

People will have whatever opinions they like, and nothing said on here is likely to change it. If you told me in a finals series we'd win two games by over 100-points, and narrowly win the third, I'd be quite happy if not ecstatic with that result. To each their own.

Im just amazed that we have 117 pages on CS and BT being good coaches. They both have flags for us. Simply grateful for all 3 flags and both coaches getting them. Combined put us as a club at the pinnacle of the sport for an unparalleled time and degree of success.

GO Catters

Inevitable comparisons between CS & MT, but as I see it, Bomber was a very good coach, and the man we needed to father our group and bring us the ultimate success. Forever grateful. Sure, he was flawed.
Then comes CS, and as I see it, in just about every facet as a person, communicator, role model, he is an upgrade. The final comparison about their relative coaching expertise is too early. Let's wait until CS has produced his own list in totality, and the results of his nurturing. If he is given that 10 year period that Bomber had.
And besides, this thread is about CS.

Im just amazed that we have 117 pages on CS and BT being good coaches. They both have flags for us. Simply grateful for all 3 flags and both coaches getting them. Combined put us as a club at the pinnacle of the sport for an unparalleled time and degree of success.

GO Catters
We must have had some telepathy there Daz.

Inevitable comparisons between CS & MT, but as I see it, Bomber was a very good coach, and the man we needed to father our group and bring us the ultimate success. Forever grateful. Sure, he was flawed.
Then comes CS, and as I see it, in just about every facet as a person, communicator, role model, he is an upgrade. The final comparison about their relative coaching expertise is too early. Let's wait until CS has produced his own list in totality, and the results of his nurturing. If he is given that 10 year period that Bomber had.
And besides, this thread is about CS.
I agree, it's just one crazy person on here that has to always belittle Bomber to justify his love for CS.

I'm not prepared to give CS 10 years unless he proves within the next 2-3 years that he's capable of constructing a team good enough to win a flag.

Not more to it, we just choked. You like to harp on about meaningless stats, well in 2008 Bomber had a 92.0% winning average, we only lost 2 games for the year, he's game plan was fine its just that we choked in the game that matters most.

Having 38 bounces is not meaningless its massive and shows how could be scored against on the turnover.Sides very rarely have more than 20 bounces a game 38 is gigantic.

The idea that things just went freakishly wrong on GF day in 08 is false. Collingwood destroyed us by 86 points early that year and got within 5 points of beating us in the 07 prelim with the same tactic.Don't forget we were a bad umpire decision or another 30 seconds away from potentially losing that prelim against Collingwood .Geelong had 9 All Australian players that year and Collingwood had 0.We had also only played Hawthorn once that year who pushed us within 2 goals and seem to work away from that game extremely confident that they would win the next time they played us.

Why did Geelong win the 2007 and 2009 premiership ? Geelong possibly had the most talented playing list the game has ever seen

Bomber was a coach for 12 years ,Scott has only been a coach for 4 and a half years. It took Bomber 10 years to get 2 those 2 premierships .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back