Christopher Pyne!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Qsaint if you want our universities to match MIT, would you support the dramatic funding increase required to bring them in line with top American universities. Given we also lack the same private, charitable and alumni allotments, the taxpayer funded increase would be even more stupendous.

How is it unaffordable, as repeatedly stated HECs will still pay for it?

With interest charged and a debt through the roof - you're kidding yourself if that won't turn people away.

University graduates should not be subsidised by other tax pages 75% of their degree.

Why not? They can go too if their ability allows it.

The group of 8 wants this

Of course they do.

Turning people away is not such a bad thing, will mean only those dedicated students with some direction will go to uni. So many unemployed graduates at the moment because kiddies study worthless degrees, don't get any experience and end up being 24 and on the dole then blame everyone else for their situation. It is a complete myth that you need to go to uni to make it in life.

Turning people away is not such a bad thing, will mean only those dedicated students with some direction will go to uni. So many unemployed graduates at the moment because kiddies study worthless degrees, don't get any experience and end up being 24 and on the dole then blame everyone else for their situation. It is a complete myth that you need to go to uni to make it in life.
They won't be turning people away. And the limiting factor will be wealth not competence.

The reason for high youth unemployment is a lack of jobs, heck we have some of the smartest young minds in the country leaving due to lack of research funding

Should of said turning people off, my mistake. I don't get why wealth has anything to do with it....you get a HECS debt, which you pay off once you starting each 53k, your parents wealth does not come into play unless you expect mommy and daddy to pay for everything.

So who is going to pay for more research funding? The students themselves? Sounds like a good place to start.

I've got the answer!! Do as well as you can in bloody high school.
This needs to be enforced heavily for high school students, I cruised through high school and paid a price for awhile.

Either get educated or you are working at Coles if you're not doing a trade.

Should of said turning people off, my mistake. I don't get why wealth has anything to do with it....you get a HECS debt, which you pay off once you starting each 53k, your parents wealth does not come into play unless you expect mommy and daddy to pay for everything.

So who is going to pay for more research funding? The students themselves? Sounds like a good place to start.
Why should the students pay for research funding? Also why would you want to turn people off.

There were proposed changes for the indexation of debt as well as the threshold for repayment. Regardless you are creating a rediculous debt burden where we already face some of the highest rates of private debt in the world. With constantly rising prices, that sounds like a great way to kill future innovation, create skills shortages, lose IP overseas and in fact turn HECS debt into a huge burden for the state as fewer repay and those with the skills leave.

Likewise if you are right and it does turn people away then wealth and not competence will be the limiting factor. So not the best and the brightest, instead the most financially privaleged.

They won't be turning people away. And the limiting factor will be wealth not competence.

The reason for high youth unemployment is a lack of jobs, heck we have some of the smartest young minds in the country leaving due to lack of research funding
I knew I saw you putting your hand up in favour of the $5 or $7.50 copayment fee to go towards medical research? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cannot have exorbitant welfare and research funding as well. There isn't enough money to go round and it is unfair on taxpayers too keep demanding more.

HECS has a cap, once you hit it the government will no longer allow you to use it until you work to pay some back. The sandstones in particular would simply price many of their degrees beyond the ability for them to be entirely funded up front by HECS, meaning only those wealthy enough to pay a significant portion up front could afford them.

HECS has a cap, once you hit it the government will no longer allow you to use it until you work to pay some back. The sandstones in particular would simply price many of their degrees beyond the ability for them to be entirely funded up front by HECS, meaning only those wealthy enough to pay a significant portion up front could afford them.
Isn't the next step to privatise HECS debt?

Would be a pretty good plan to help the rich get richer.

Why should the students pay for research funding? Also why would you want to turn people off.

There were proposed changes for the indexation of debt as well as the threshold for repayment. Regardless you are creating a rediculous debt burden where we already face some of the highest rates of private debt in the world. With constantly rising prices, that sounds like a great way to kill future innovation, create skills shortages, lose IP overseas and in fact turn HECS debt into a huge burden for the state as fewer repay and those with the skills leave.

Likewise if you are right and it does turn people away then wealth and not competence will be the limiting factor. So not the best and the brightest, instead the most financially privaleged.

Students should pay a fair price for their education. Currently there are TOO MANY graduates, something needs to be done to ensure only the best and brightest go to uni and the others follow different employment opportunities (which there are many).

The current threshold is 53k which is a lot of money. If you are not wasteful with your money then making the yearly repayments should be a breeze. It is hardly a ridiculous debt burden if you aren't WASTEFUL. With people willing to spend thousands of new laptops, phones, holidays each year then they have ample ability to pay for their education. Why does everyone not want to pay? I don't get it. Simple make everyone repay their loans no matter where they live so running off overseas to ripoff your country is no longer an option. There is currently an OVERSUPPLY of graduates, if graduates could be linked to industry that would be perfect.

Wealth has NOTHING to do with it. Unless you are assuming mummy and daddy are paying for little Johnnny.

Students should pay a fair price for their education. Currently there are TOO MANY graduates, something needs to be done to ensure only the best and brightest go to uni and the others follow different employment opportunities (which there are many).

The current threshold is 53k which is a lot of money. If you are not wasteful with your money then making the yearly repayments should be a breeze. It is hardly a ridiculous debt burden if you aren't WASTEFUL. With people willing to spend thousands of new laptops, phones, holidays each year then they have ample ability to pay for their education. Why does everyone not want to pay? I don't get it. Simple make everyone repay their loans no matter where they live so running off overseas to ripoff your country is no longer an option. There is currently an OVERSUPPLY of graduates, if graduates could be linked to industry that would be perfect.

Wealth has NOTHING to do with it. Unless you are assuming mummy and daddy are paying for little Johnnny.
Nice rant.

Students already pay far too much back in HECS.

They were also looking at lowering the threshold to 35k.

Honestly the system needs a huge cash injection. Further subsidies and larger research allotments.

If Australia wants to compete that is the only way.

Currently we pay less than 50% of our education?

I repay a HECS debt and no it is not too much if you go in study your degree and leave, if you rack up multiple degrees or keep changing your mind then it might be different.

Why can't this cash injection come from people once they have left and are earning money?

Currently we pay less than 50% of our education?

I repay a HECS debt and no it is not too much if you go in study your degree and leave, if you rack up multiple degrees or keep changing your mind then it might be different.

Why can't this cash injection come from people once they have left and are earning money?
Because the debt burden would become extreme if we have increased fees, a lower threshold for repayment and a change to the indexation of interest.

We are already one of the most indebted nations in the world, high youth unemployment, increased casualisation and rising prices mean many cant afford things like a home or car, and those that do are less able to consume. That means a slowdown for the service sector and lower tax take.

If we keep turning public debt into private debt, things are going to go pear shaped.

Universities need large increases in funding from the government if we hope to compete with other developed countries, otherwise the brain drain will be substantial and innovation which is already an issue will plummet. We are already a country that lacks new growth areas and economic diversity..

Its funny people rant about the massive burden when most kiddies managed to survive off Centrelink when they were studying, I am sure they will survive. Hell it might even inspire them to earn more faster to get rid of it.

If we got rid of the green slime

Farming
Live Stock
Fishing
Forestry
Mining

International Education
Tourism

Should be driving Australia forward.

Throwing money at 'research' that is just sold for peanuts is not a great idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back