Chromecast Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I run XBMC so it's fairly pointless for me, but it looks like a cheap way to turn your TV into a decent streaming box, especially since you can get Netflix working on it

I've been checking it out for a while now and decided to get one on Sat.
From what I can see from playing with it is it's still in it's infancy as there aren't too many apps that support it yet BUT it's interaction with YouTube(for obvious reasons) is exceptionally good. The idea is right but I still think it needs expanding to get a bigger audience.
I think once Google gets it right it will be great as the simplicity and price is fantastic.

I'm not sure how it compares to AppleTV though.........if your so inclined to lower yourself to an Apple product;)

OMFG...so I have a Belkin Router and of course it doesn't connect...the Chromecast appears in the Windows 7 network window but there is no connectivity between the TV and the computer.

Belkin website appears equally clueless...the best they are suggesting is to take the Router off 'Auto' and choose another channel.

Any ideas?

OMFG...so I have a Belkin Router and of course it doesn't connect...the Chromecast appears in the Windows 7 network window but there is no connectivity between the TV and the computer.

Belkin website appears equally clueless...the best they are suggesting is to take the Router off 'Auto' and choose another channel.

Any ideas?

No offense, but have you actually installed the app on your PC? Have you tried it from your phone/tablet?

Any ideas?

Did you turn it on to connect?
Did you go to chromecast.com/setup or whatever it was?

Did you turn it on to connect?
Did you go to chromecast.com/setup or whatever it was?

I have downloaded the chromecast app to my desktop and it runs through the set up process (the coloured circle) and it finds the chromecast.

Then I get the message 'We cant seem to connect to your Chromecast'...'Make sure your chromecast (its on) is powered on and you are not on a VPN (Im not).

I have downloaded the chromecast app to my desktop and it runs through the set up process (the coloured circle) and it finds the chromecast.

Then I get the message 'We cant seem to connect to your Chromecast'...'Make sure your chromecast (its on) is powered on and you are not on a VPN (Im not).

Have you got an active firewall on your PC?

Yes enabled chromecast permission to go through it.

As I mentioned earlier I've never used one before, but in terms of general troubleshooting I'd:
  • Update the firmware (if possible)
  • Disable the firewall (just to eliminate it as a possibility)
  • Try it from a mobile device (potentially eliminates your PC as the issue)
  • Disable any virtual network devices you have installed on the PC (seems to be a common issue)
  • Factory reset the Chromecast and start again
  • Run through the Chromecast Troubleshooter

As I mentioned earlier I've never used one before, but in terms of general troubleshooting I'd:
  • Update the firmware (if possible)
  • Disable the firewall (just to eliminate it as a possibility)
  • Try it from a mobile device (potentially eliminates your PC as the issue)
  • Disable any virtual network devices you have installed on the PC (seems to be a common issue)
  • Factory reset the Chromecast and start again
  • Run through the Chromecast Troubleshooter

Tried a heap of things this past couple of hours...I am sick of wasting my time.

I just think I will keep it and wait until Sept when I sign up the NBN and get a new Telstra NBN network device.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have one and in general find it pretty good. I find I have to reboot the chromecast everytime I use it which isnt difficult but a little annoying- I think this is more the TV's fault though, its a cheap chinese noname.
It is pretty cool being able to cast videos from the net with out any fuss though.
I use Plex to cast my locally stored content which works well although it does drop out every so often - possibly due to the distance from the router.

I have one and in general find it pretty good. I find I have to reboot the chromecast everytime I use it which isnt difficult but a little annoying- I think this is more the TV's fault though, its a cheap chinese noname.
It is pretty cool being able to cast videos from the net with out any fuss though.
I use Plex to cast my locally stored content which works well although it does drop out every so often - possibly due to the distance from the router.
Teach me about Plex. I installed it but don't know how to use it. Hahaha

Install it on your media PC and install the plex app on your phone or tablet (may be a paid app in the vivinity of $5 - cant remember). Create an account and add the media folders on your media pc into your plex library.
You should then be able to browse your library on your phone through the app. When you want to play something on your chromecast just hit the cast symbol and hit play.... away it goes.

Install it on your media PC and install the plex app on your phone or tablet (may be a paid app in the vivinity of $5 - cant remember). Create an account and add the media folders on your media pc into your plex library.
You should then be able to browse your library on your phone through the app. When you want to play something on your chromecast just hit the cast symbol and hit play.... away it goes.

I second this. The plex app is brilliant with the chromecast. The plex app can be downloaded from the Amazon app store for cheaper that the play store on Android. Got it for free myself when it was in special a while ago.

Tried a heap of things this past couple of hours...I am sick of wasting my time.

I just think I will keep it and wait until Sept when I sign up the NBN and get a new Telstra NBN network device.
Im the same, i have just got the new samsung S 10.5 and i just cannot get chromecast up and running. Fell like chucking it.

Fore those who have it, is it only restricted to google, youtube etc or can it be used with any content on your tablet/computer to stream to your telly?

Content you have stored on your tablet/computer cannot be streamed to TV, the idea is that you store your stuff on the cloud. Think of the data path being Internet -> Chromecast -> TV. Your tablet simply tells the chromecast what to look for.

I think there are some apps/hacks out there that let you stream locally stored content via chromecast but I haven't delved ino it.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying it. I find I get value out of it solely from streaming YouTube to my non-smart TV. Plenty of docos, music vids, cat videos etc on my 'to watch' list.

Of course the hack I would really like is one that lets me buy the AFL app and subsequently stream the live match broadcast to my TV. I doubt that would be easy, as the app needs to be set up to 'work' with chromecast, and I don't the AFL are going to allow that :). Best hope would maybe be a 'screen mirroring' app, which looks like has actually been made available since I purchsed my chromecast - might have to check it out!

Thanks for that. The Mirroring app sounds like what i want, anyone else tried it?
I've tried it on my nexus 5, it's actually part of the most recent chromecast app update. Doesn't work on my tablet though which has kit kat.
There is a slight delay in doing something on the phone and it showing on screen. But overall it works very well.

I've tried it on my nexus 5, it's actually part of the most recent chromecast app update. Doesn't work on my tablet though which has kit kat.
There is a slight delay in doing something on the phone and it showing on screen. But overall it works very well.
Thanks for that, and i just had a look and its currently not available for the Galaxy s 10.5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back