Ciarán Sheehan ( Rookie) signs with the Blues - post #61

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge talent, can see him playing 20 games next year with no complaints, kicking is great but so is his vision, you can tell he sees the game in multiple dimensions and identifies space quickly. Very coordinated player, has the athleticism too, just fits into the AFL well.

What Mick likes about Gus is that he's done everything asked of him and then added more and more.
Soaking up everything and already a leader in a Judd sort of way.

Pretty good to have a rookie showing senior guys what it takes to get the best out of yourself.
These are the standards that have to be demonstrated as talking about them isn't enough.

There are some pretty good characters around the club right now and there's a little less fear of bringing in too many 18 year olds.

We should be making a point of bringing over the best Young Irish player EVERY year.

We have 3 boys on our list now (Tuohy, Sheehan & Byrne) so I am sure this would make it easier to entice players.

First thing I'd try and do is have another crack at Ciaran Kilkenny, he ditched us then went to Hawthorn and didn't last the pre-season, (got homesick apparently) but might be persuaded to have another go with the other 3 boys that are here.

We should be making a point of bringing over the best Young Irish player EVERY year.

We have 3 boys on our list now (Tuohy, Sheehan & Byrne) so I am sure this would make it easier to entice players.

First thing I'd try and do is have another crack at Ciaran Kilkenny, he ditched us then went to Hawthorn and didn't last the pre-season, (got homesick apparently) but might be persuaded to have another go with the other 3 boys that are here.

Kilkenny has missed the whole GAA season with a torn cruciate, wont be back until February, Doubt any AFL club would take a chance on him now, Unreal talent all the same though.

Taking the best young GAA player every year would cause serious friction between the AFL and GAA, just as recently as June Tyrone manager Mickey Harte expressed his disgust at the back handed way some AFL scouts do their business, He also declared "kangaroo ball to be a mickey mouse cod of a sport" which would give you some idea of the extent of hostility that's growing towards the AFL in some quarters over here!

Anway I think the AFL clubs rush into signing Irish players too young, Sheehan is what 23, an established GAA star making his county's starting team, he has an All Ireland medal and has regularly played in front of crowds of 50k-80k+, so competing in the AFL at this age was never going to daunt him. A lot of Irish guys are recruited after playing well for various minor (youth teams) but are untested at senior level in GAA so it should be no shock when some of them flop at AFL because many minor super stars also flop at senior level Gaelic Football. If I was an AFL scout established GAA stars in the 22 to 24 age bracket are who I would be targeting and hoping to get 5 or 6 seasons out of them before the almost inevitable lure to go home and play GAA kicks in.

Anway I think the AFL clubs rush into signing Irish players too young, Sheehan is what 23, an established GAA star making his county's starting team, he has an All Ireland medal and has regularly played in front of crowds of 50k-80k+, so competing in the AFL at this age was never going to daunt him. A lot of Irish guys are recruited after playing well for various minor (youth teams) but are untested at senior level in GAA so it should be no shock when some of them flop at AFL because many minor super stars also flop at senior level Gaelic Football. If I was an AFL scout established GAA stars in the 22 to 24 age bracket are who I would be targeting and hoping to get 5 or 6 seasons out of them before the almost inevitable lure to go home and play GAA kicks in.

That's fine to say but not how it works.

Carlton wouldn't have Byrne now and may have well missed out on Tuohy.

It is still an individuals choice whether they want to give the AFL a shot or not. Can't see how that's going to change in the immediate future.

What's not to love :hearts:

Congratulations Ciaran :thumbsu:

Sheehan takes out inaugural award

Carlton 2014 debutant Ciaran Sheehan’s impressive year has been rewarded, with the Irishman taking out the newly created Chris Judd Development Academy Award.

Sheehan made to move to Australia this year, fresh from taking Man of the Match honours for Ireland in the International Rules Series last October.
After just 14 games for the Northern Blues in the VFL, Sheehan earned the call-up to make his debut in the navy blue in Carlton’s Round 20 match against the Gold Coast.

A highlight was last weekend’s draw with Essendon, as it was the first time Sheehan had played on the MCG.
“It’s an amazing deck! The atmosphere and everything was phenomenal – and it’s just great to be a part of it running out with those guys, putting your body on the line and hoping for the best result,” he said.

Kilkenny has missed the whole GAA season with a torn cruciate, wont be back until February, Doubt any AFL club would take a chance on him now, Unreal talent all the same though.

Taking the best young GAA player every year would cause serious friction between the AFL and GAA, just as recently as June Tyrone manager Mickey Harte expressed his disgust at the back handed way some AFL scouts do their business, He also declared "kangaroo ball to be a mickey mouse cod of a sport" which would give you some idea of the extent of hostility that's growing towards the AFL in some quarters over here!

Wow if they get crowds that big someone must be making good money off the GAA. They should direct some of it towards the players & they'd be more likely to stick around

Sheehan did his ACL too a few years back if I'm not mistaken. If Kilkenny has done his, then I don't think it will mean he won't get a second chance at another afl club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow if they get crowds that big someone must be making good money off the GAA. They should direct some of it towards the players & they'd be more likely to stick around

All money generated by the GAA is pumped back into the association either through the various inter county teams or local club teams. There is over 2630 clubs in the GAA and over 60 inter county teams along with 15-20 university/college teams and hundreds of school teams, so when all them get their share of the pie then there is nothing left! Providing better facilities for all GAA members is much more important then paying an elite few! Saying that the elite players are well looked after all the same!

GAA getting 2 players back. Both of Collingwood's Irish players going back home according to twitter.

I wonder how long it will take for the GAA to get real pissed off.

Reckon the AFL or the clubs will need to compensate the GAA financially soon.

It's not as big an issue as it's made out and it actually has a two way benefit.

The likes of Michael Quinn, Ciaran Kilkenny, Michael Shields, Niall McKeever, Paul Cribbin and quite a few more have all come back from Australia and made excellent contributions to their GAA teams and have no doubt used their experiences in a professional environment to great effect. While I don't think anyone in the GAA would begrudge Sheehan the opportunity to play professionally after playing with Cork for 5 years and winning an All Ireland championship.

There will always be the likes of Hanley, Tuohy, Kennelly and Setanta who end up staying for the long haul but the odds of someone coming from Ireland as a teenager and spending their whole careers playing AFL without returning are very slim. Even Kennelly managed to fit in a year at home to win a championship.

Sheehan did his ACL too a few years back if I'm not mistaken. If Kilkenny has done his, then I don't think it will mean he won't get a second chance at another afl club.

More for those saying we should have a crack at getting him over now.

Though if we could not have any Dubs in the team that'd be ******* great.

It's so great to hear everyone's positivity about Ciaran. I love seeing Irish players break into the AFL, and it's brilliant to have 3 on the books of my club!

I was really pleasantly surprised to read last year that Ciaran was coming back over, but at 23 it was clear he would need to hit the ground running. Around rd 15 or 16 I was getting worried that although playing well, he just mustn't have been doing enough in the twos. I was then over the moon to hear he was getting a chance, and am delighted that he's seized it. 2 months ago it would be hard to imagine that people had him nailed down to start Rd 1 next year. I hope he can build on it and add other dimensions to his game, because his talent as a cool ball player is undoubted.

Insofar as GAA/AFL relations go, Hartes comments were cringeworthy. If a player would prefer to live here in Australia and make a living from AFL, he should be welcome to try without public sneers from onlookers. That's just mean-spirited. Most, if not all, level-headed people back home say 'fair play to them' and wish well any young fella who's out here giving it a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back