Multiplat Cities: Skylines

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cities XXL was released, and received badly. Apparently basically the same game and the performance issues have moved, not improved. Could be worth it if you're like me and don;t have any XL game. If you do, forget it.

Cities:Skylines (by Colossal Order, who did Cities in Motion) looks good so far. Released next month (10 March)
Nine Simcity sized plots to make your city (with support for modders to increase that).
Thanks to CiM the transport should work - although there are already issues highlighted where cars are teleported when traffic gets too heavy.
Map editor
CO and Paradox tend to actually support a game post-release, including free content a well as paid DLC; and modding tools are promised along with mod support. Steam workshop.

Anyway, if you like a city builder check a few youtubes and judge for yourself. I'll need a new PC before I can play it, and other things are more financially pressing right now.
It looks the best of the three to me, but until somebody outside the tent gets to play it who really knows.

Available on PC only. Windows or Linux (edit: also on Mac???)

Last edited:

I like Paradox, I've been playing Crusader Kings 2 and Hearts of Iron 3 lately. I like their style, so will difinitely keep an eye out for it.

They're only publishing. The people creating the game made Cities in Motion.

Wasn't a fan of CiM 2, but the first one was enjoyable. Hopefully Skylines delivers.

I like Paradox, I've been playing Crusader Kings 2 and Hearts of Iron 3 lately. I like their style, so will difinitely keep an eye out for it.
Could never get into Hearts of Iron 3.
1 was good, 2 was amazing, 3 I just didn't like.
Lets see what they do with 4.

Yep, cracking game

Developers are supposedly looking at adding additions to the game regularly too

Oh really? 3 is the first one I've ever played, saw it on Steam on the cheap and just couldn't resist. What was so diffferent (or better) about 2 than 3 though?
Was probably that I fell in love with the controls and they changed.
If I bothered to try and get into 3 I'd probably like it. But I cbf.

1 was good, 2 I struggled with, but adapted till I realised it was better. To me, 2 was the epitome of strategy games.

If you haven't, definitely check out the workshop. Some handy stuff on there (auto-demolish is a godsend).

Also someone uploaded a ridiculously good version of Los Santos from GTA V

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game is outstanding!

Great level of complexity combined with a relatively shallow learning curve has made this so easy to pick up and immerse yourself into. Only game outside of a 4K RTS like Civ or XCOM which has that "Just 5 more minutes...s**t it's 4AM" effect.

Designing the utilities and other infrastructure networks is so goddamn engaging, and having a well oiled and functioning city is satisfying as hell.

I am a chronic restarter, so my biggest City right now is ~40K population I believe but restarting and trying new things and networks is half the fun. Would 100% recommend picking this up if you even mildly enjoyed the Sim City/Tropico/Sims/Cities XXL franchises.

Ive heard you have to be really careful with Dams as you CAN flood your city. Im still getting my head around districts as well...And having to demolish abandoned buildings.

I made a bus depot as well, and set up a big complicated route of bus stops...8 busses came out and congested the entrance of my city as they did a big loop the loop to start their route...

Ive heard you have to be really careful with Dams as you CAN flood your city. Im still getting my head around districts as well...And having to demolish abandoned buildings.

I made a bus depot as well, and set up a big complicated route of bus stops...8 busses came out and congested the entrance of my city as they did a big loop the loop to start their route...

I've seen a few videos of people flooding parts of their city because of dam placement.

i did this on my first dam. flooded the central business district

in saying that - it's insanely cool that this was even thought of

another water related gotcha - if you put a string of water pumps close together - it can drain your river completely

I am a chronic restarter, so my biggest City right now is ~40K population I believe but restarting and trying new things and networks is half the fun. Would 100% recommend picking this up if you even mildly enjoyed the Sim City/Tropico/Sims/Cities XXL franchises.

Is it possible to, instead of restarting, just making connected small towns like this?

Man, this game is great. I keep on getting scared to play it because I know I could sit there and play it for way too long when I have so much other stuff to do. When I have all my assignments done I'll probably be putting way too many hours into this until GTA V comes out on PC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back