Past Clark 'Crackers' Keating (1992-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

Listed by the Brisbane Bears at the age of 15 on a zone concession, he was five years on the senior list before making his AFL debut.
clarkkeating.jpg

Premierships:

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Justin Leppitsch   Darryl White  
HB:      Nigel Lappin      Chris Scott        Marcus Ashcroft  
C:       Jason Akermanis   Michael Voss (c)   Robert Copeland  
HF:      Shaun Hart        Jonathan Brown     Luke Power  
F:       Daniel Bradshaw   Alastair Lynch     Martin Pike  
Foll:    [B][COLOR=Red]Clark Keating[/COLOR][/B]     Simon Black        Brad Scott  
Int:     Beau McDonald     Craig McRae        Tim Notting
         Mal Michael
Coach:   Leigh Matthews

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Chris Scott        Justin Leppitsch  
HB:      Luke Power        Mal Michael        Marcus Ashcroft  
C:       Shaun Hart        Michael Voss (c)   Martin Pike  
HF:      Des Headland      Jonathan Brown     Nigel Lappin  
F:       Jason Akermanis   Alastair Lynch     Darryl White  
Foll:    [B][COLOR=Red]Clark Keating[/COLOR][/B]     Simon Black        Brad Scott  
Int:     Beau McDonald     Craig McRae        Tim Notting        
         Aaron Shattock

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Mal Michael        Darryl White  
HB:      Luke Power        Justin Leppitsch   Nigel Lappin  
C:       Jason Akermanis   Michael Voss (c)   Martin Pike  
HF:      Ashley McGrath    Jonathan Brown     Robert Copeland  
F:       Craig McRae       Alastair Lynch     Daniel Bradshaw  
Foll:    [B][COLOR=Red]Clark Keating[/COLOR][/B]     Simon Black        Shaun Hart  
Int:     Jamie Charman     Blake Caracella    Marcus Ashcroft  
         Richard Hadley
Merrett-Murray Medal results:

1997: 11th (35 votes)
1998: =29th (1 vote)
1999: =15th (29 votes)
2000: -
2001: 17th (29 votes)
2002: 25th (14 votes)
2003: 24th (23.5 votes)
2004: 25th (18 votes)
2005: 20th (23 votes)
2006: 30th (3.5 votes)
Brisbane Lions Team of the Decade:

Code:
[B]B:[/B] 	Chris Johnson 	   Mal Michael 	        Darryl White
[B]HB:[/B] 	Marcus Ashcroft    Justin Leppitsch 	Chris Scott
[B]M:[/B] 	Nigel Lappin 	   Michael Voss (c) 	Brad Scott
[B]HF:[/B] 	Jason Akermanis    Jonathan Brown 	Craig McRae
[B]F:[/B] 	Luke Power 	   Alastair Lynch 	Daniel Bradshaw
[B]Foll:[/B] 	[B][COLOR="Red"]Clark Keating[/COLOR][/B] 	   Simon Black 	        Shaun Hart
[B]Int:[/B] 	Martin Pike 	   Tim Notting 	        Jamie Charman 	   
        Richard Champion
Coach: 	Leigh Matthews
Awards:

Winner Southside Toyota Bears Scholarship 1992
Joint Winner Bears Best First-Year Player 1996
3rd Grogan Medal 1994
Member North Brisbane QAFL Premiership Side 1995
Queensland State League Representative 1994-95
Allies State of Origin Representative 1997
Member Lions’ Ansett Cup Grand Final Side 2001
Premiership Player 2001-2002-2003.

Clark Keating (1993 - 2006)

If any of you are going to the Club Champ dinner this Friday (6th October) and see Crackers please be sure to thank him for all his work for the team, and tell him that we'll miss him.

If I live in Brisbane, I would go (scraping together $150 is another matter).

I intend to send Crackers a nice Thank You card.

You can send players mail through the club post box. I've done it before.

Thanks for the memories Crackers. We are going to miss you. Now go and get a shave!!!

Re: farewelling Crackers

danielcanberra said:
You too!

Please give Crackers a big hug. I think he's felt undervalued for a long time.

But don't make him cry.
Hopefully Ashli will be there with her camera at that time. :thumbsu:

I don't think Crackers has been hugged by too many men before. Could our BrownDog be the first?

BTW, i walked past Luke Power today at uni and he is tiny!! He definatley doesn't look that small on the field. I passed the Power test though.

Warwick said:

I don't think Crackers has been hugged by too many men before. Could our BrownDog be the first?

BTW, i walked past Luke Power today at uni and he is tiny!! He definatley doesn't look that small on the field. I passed the Power test though.

Vossy hugs everyone on the field. I think his favourite is Shermo at the moment. Hopefully Crackers got his share of hugs.

I spoke to Crackers in May this year (he was sitting down doing signings) and I told him "you're a great player" and put my hand on his shoulder. He seemed to like that as he gave me a huge grin. Priceless.

Which uni is Lukey at? Did you say anything to him? Something like "how's your study going?" perhaps.

Warwick said:

If the Browndog's as big as his namesake it could look something like this...
vs-kingkong.jpg

TheBrownDog said:
Daniel: If I want to hug Crackers, I'll have to beat my girlfriend to it. He has been her favorite player for about 6 years now. She's pretty upset that he has been delisted.

Remind your girlfriend of the 4 second rule for hugs. I'm sure Crackers' missus will make sure you get a turn!

I'm upset he was delisted too. We all should be. Crackers gave 14 years to the Brisbane Bears/Lions.

danielcanberra said:
You too!

Please give Crackers a big hug. I think he's felt undervalued for a long time.

But don't make him cry.

Will make sure he gets that hug !!! ;)

danielcanberra said:
Remind your girlfriend of the 4 second rule for hugs. I'm sure Crackers' missus will make sure you get a turn!

I'm upset he was delisted too. We all should be. Crackers gave 14 years to the Brisbane Bears/Lions.
im disapointed too

sport sometimes can sux :(

as for Crackers who could forget the dodgy dodgy hair do's that he has had, it was about 2 years ago or maybe three that our section started calling him pr0n star for the "do" of the moment, had the iffy blond streaks etc and was far too long!

0,1658,276427,00.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

47cfs55.jpg
[/IMG]

May 2006 - what a spunk - the scruffier the better...I'm sure Browndog's Mrs will agree with me...
Now that I have totally embarassed myself, I'll just go sit in the naughty corner...

I was there too scott522!

Also May 2006 (from a different angle).

I sent back to Crackers two copies of the photo and the image file to the club.

He's quite photogenic really (that hair cut suits him). He just looks really scruffy when he's playing.

I'm sure the other players call him a spunk anyway...

crackers_May2006.jpg

From the Lions website

301794ay.jpg

Keating, in particular, has made an extraordinary contribution to the Club since debuting with the Bears in round 6, 1996.

Recruited from the Gold Coast, Keating has proven himself as one of the great big-game ruckmen of the modern era, with impressive performances in each of the Club’s four Grand Finals.

His ability to perform on the AFL’s biggest stage was most evident through his influence against Collingwood in both the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals.

Keating was forced to shoulder the entire ruck load on a sodden MCG in 2002, when fellow ruckman Beau McDonald was struck down by a serious injury. In a close and tough encounter, Keating was instrumental in many of the Lions’ forays forward, as his crash-and-bash ruck style proved too much for the opposition ruckmen. His influence was so great, that he featured prominently in the voting for the Norm Smith medal. In 2003, Keating continued Collingwood’s nightmare, with another wonderful ruck display, this time resulting in a runaway Lions victory.

Unfortunately throughout his career at the Lions, Keating has been unlucky with injuries. Hampered by problems ranging from back spasms to stress fractures in his foot, Keating managed a total of only 139 games in his 11 years at the Club.

In tribute to the Premiership ruckman, Luke Power praised Keating on his regular website column ‘Power Play’. “He has a lifetime contract with his team mates and coaches who shared some very special successes together of which he was an integral part” said Power.

A popular player amongst his team mates, Keating will forever be remembered as an important part of the Club’s historic Three-Peat.

http://lions.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=301806

Crackers played reserves for the Bears from 1992.

That bit I've bolded above - talk about trying to justify the delisting!

danielcanberra said:

Unfortunately throughout his career at the Lions, Keating has been unlucky with injuries. Hampered by problems ranging from back spasms to stress fractures in his foot, Keating managed a total of only 139 games in his 11 years at the Club.

Unfortunatly that is true and is justification. Ben Hart a club legend at the crows was delisted today. AFL is a brutal world with little sentiment.

danielcanberra said:
I was there too scott522!

Also May 2006 (from a different angle).

I sent back to Crackers two copies of the photo and the image file to the club.

He's quite photogenic really (that hair cut suits him). He just looks really scruffy when he's playing.

I'm sure the other players call him a spunk anyway...

crackers_May2006.jpg

Nice pic...

danielcanberra said:
Okay, who gave Crackers a hug last night?

My girlfriend and I both got photos with him. Mine is an absolute shocker though so I wont be posting it.

Had a chat to him, absolute nice guy. Will be missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back