List Mgmt. Clark meets with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really hope the club has done their homework and consulted the right doctors (ie a psychiatrist and not Bradshaw) about Clark. This is a massive risk as far as I am concerned as you really can't be too glib about mental health issues. There is a massive risk that he wont manage more than a dozen games before a relapse. You only have to look at the experience of Simon Hogan to see that managing depression is a life long struggle that has to come before football. He may be feeling fine and fit now, but just like anyone else he will have to come under intense pressure to succeed.

Absolutely the key issue, JB.

I'd really hope the club has done their homework and consulted the right doctors (ie a psychiatrist and not Bradshaw) about Clark. This is a massive risk as far as I am concerned as you really can't be too glib about mental health issues. There is a massive risk that he wont manage more than a dozen games before a relapse. You only have to look at the experience of Simon Hogan to see that managing depression is a life long struggle that has to come before football. He may be feeling fine and fit now, but just like anyone else he will have to come under intense pressure to succeed.
Absolutely you'd hope they are doing that.

However, I do get the sense that it's a case of Clark sorting out his issues away from football and perhaps realising that football is an important part of his life that he wants (needs?) to return to. Furthermore, the talk of a "fresh start" and "new environment" to me sounds like professional advice given to him.

There's always going to be an element of risk but I'm confident the right steps will be taken.

I'm kind of sick + tired of Geelong acquiring older players for low $$$ to fill in while we await players' return from our long term injured list like Simpson, Vardy, Cowan to come good. While Rivers is a success, HMac has no AFL level fitness. I'd rather we secured two good rucks, CHF, a successful midfielder like Dangerfield + give him good $$$. Pinning the fate of the team on the recovery of players who've been injured for years is false economy. When you buy something simply for the cheapness of it, you usually need to replace it pretty quickly! Buy good mid-range priced goods + you gain quality + value!

What are the prospects of our VFL ruck players? Any hope there?

Absolutely you'd hope they are doing that.

However, I do get the sense that it's a case of Clark sorting out his issues away from football and perhaps realising that football is an important part of his life that he wants (needs?) to return to. Furthermore, the talk of a "fresh start" and "new environment" to me sounds like professional advice given to him.

There's always going to be an element of risk but I'm confident the right steps will be taken.
From personal experience, that make can an enourmous difference and if he feels he wants to play, I think it's the right move.

I just kinda feel like if he's to return to footy, we would be a very good environment for him. We're competitive, out of the Melbourne media circus, well run club with experience in the area ie. Hogan, good leadership in Selwood, Bartel, Enright et al, relaxed lifestyle, his girl is/wants to study down here and he doesn't have to be the focal point playing alongside Hawkins.

Not sure how it would be like in the spotlight at Collingwood under Buckley, who doesn't strike me as the most understanding bloke, purely perception though, I may be wrong. Don't exactly think they are on the rise for a while either. I think if he's to thrive and reach his potential anywhere, Geelong is as as good a place as any. And if he does we will have hit the jackpot.

He played ruck all through the finals in 2013. Unless we see otherwise the club don't mind him rucking.
IMO his best senior game was when Simpson went down and he had to play ruck against McEvoy. Stats wise it may not have been his most impressive but from the games I've seen him play that was his best game for mine

IMO his best senior game was when Simpson went down and he had to play ruck against McEvoy. Stats wise it may not have been his most impressive but from the games I've seen him play that was his best game for mine

Yep agreed. That and his first game last season against Gold Coast. Be interesting to see where they want him in 2015.

Collingwood's Derek Hine just told Trade Week Radio the Pies believe they are still in the hunt for Clark and expect an answer from him within 48 hours.
Balmey is on this arvo.... wouldn't be surprised at all to here him say almost the exact same thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his best game - was in the 2nd half against Port in that final - where he was directly opposed to Lobbe - i thought he got right on top of Lobbe - took some crucial one on one marks against him as well

Lobbe is a pretty good ruckman - his effort against Sandilands in that final ( especially the 2nd half) was outstanding

I'm kind of sick + tired of Geelong acquiring older players for low $$$ to fill in while we await players' return from our long term injured list like Simpson, Vardy, Cowan to come good. While Rivers is a success, HMac has no AFL level fitness. I'd rather we secured two good rucks, CHF, a successful midfielder like Dangerfield + give him good $$$. Pinning the fate of the team on the recovery of players who've been injured for years is false economy. When you buy something simply for the cheapness of it, you usually need to replace it pretty quickly! Buy good mid-range priced goods + you gain quality + value!

What are the prospects of our VFL ruck players? Any hope there?
27 is old?
Better tell Selwood and Hawkins to hang up the boots then

Just reported on SEN that Clark has chosen Geelong as his club of choice, and apparently the Age are reporting the same thing although I can't find a link.

If teams like Richmond are interested in Hunt, it's no surprise if he doesn't want to go to Melb.
Use Hunt in a three-way (out of the gutter, you know what I mean!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back