Discussion Clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

That's because they have no option though

Playing a plain red top against a plain red top was never possible or feasible

When a team decide to have the exact same jersey as another, then your point makes sense
But they could easily have an alternative strip be white with red lines as they're the reds, but they don't.

Newcastle in the EPL could keep the traditional black and white stripes against Tottenham in all white, but they don't and neither does Tottenham if they're the away team.

Our league clubs tend to have 2 or more colours so it's not as simple, I acknowledge that. Carlton being the closest example with all navy blue (white logo), still produced a clash strip of white but navy lining. I don't see the need to have the navy when that colour was the issue for the clash.

edit - Newcastle vs West Brom the better examples to compare.

Newcastle home game
472755330-victor-anichebe-of-west-brom-scores-the-gettyimages.jpg

West Brom home game
458685284-james-morrison-of-west-bromwich-albion-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
But they could easily have an alternative strip be white with red lines as they're the reds, but they don't.

Newcastle in the EPL could keep the traditional black and white stripes against Tottenham in all white, but they don't and neither does Tottenham if they're the away team.

Our league clubs tend to have 2 or more colours so it's not as simple, I acknowledge that. Carlton being the closest example with all navy blue (white logo), still produced a clash strip of white but navy lining. I don't see the need to have the navy when that colour was the issue for the clash.

edit - Newcastle vs West Brom the better examples to compare.

Newcastle home game
472755330-victor-anichebe-of-west-brom-scores-the-gettyimages.jpg

West Brom home game
458685284-james-morrison-of-west-bromwich-albion-gettyimages.jpg

But for Newcastle they are making that choice (most likely for marketing reasons)

You're talking about imposing it upon clubs, when it's only needed for merchandising reasons

Why use a clash strip when existing jumpers provide a sufficient clash?

But for Newcastle they are making that choice (most likely for marketing reasons)

You're talking about imposing it upon clubs, when it's only needed for merchandising reasons

Why use a clash strip when existing jumpers provide a sufficient clash?

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that this, for example, is not a hideous clash?

upload_2015-11-20_10-9-27.jpeg

just lol.

As long as the players can tell each other apart, that's the key

We shouldn't be changing jumpers just so TV viewers have a more optimised viewing experience

****ing bigger lol.

Do you seriously believe TV should determine what jumpers are used?

It's bad enough it determines the fixture, the start time, the time between goal and centre square bounce, but you want it deciding what our clubs wear?

I know your mod have five mins of tradition behind you, but how much of our game do we change for Tv?

People watching the game from the outer and on TV is what supports the game and makes it so big, anyone thinking that we and our viewing experience being able to actually tell the teams apart easily in congestion isn't an important consideration is an idiot.

I know your mod have five mins of tradition behind you, but how much of our game do we change for Tv?
The really amusing thing about this sentence is in the above Collingwood v Carlton example is that it is Collingwood dumping 100 years of jumper tradition making a change in 2002 that has caused this issue between the 2 teams in the first place!

The really amusing thing about this sentence is in the above Collingwood v Carlton example is that it is Collingwood dumping 100 years of jumper tradition making a change in 2002 that has caused this issue between the 2 teams in the first place!

Agree they look better in the White, but disagree it's a problem

Only TV people seem obsessed with changing everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an Eagles fan, I get the notion of wanting to maintain your jumper. We have chopped and changed unnecessarily so many times over the years, it's disheartening. However there's no reason that a clash jumper can't maintain a club's identity, if done correctly. Richmond's inverted jumper is a brilliant example, and should be used more often (against Collingwood and Carlton).

As an Eagles fan, I get the notion of wanting to maintain your jumper. We have chopped and changed unnecessarily so many times over the years, it's disheartening. However there's no reason that a clash jumper can't maintain a club's identity, if done correctly. Richmond's inverted jumper is a brilliant example, and should be used more often (against Collingwood and Carlton).

My only question on that last sentence is if (for example) collingwood and Carlton are happy with the status quo, the fans for both clubs are happy, and the players are happy, why change?

I have no issue with changing when the players are raising legit concerns about it (as happened with rfc and wce a few years ago), but you never hear blues or pies fans demanding change on this one

My only question on that last sentence is if (for example) collingwood and Carlton are happy with the status quo, the fans for both clubs are happy, and the players are happy, why change?

I have no issue with changing when the players are raising legit concerns about it (as happened with rfc and wce a few years ago), but you never hear blues or pies fans demanding change on this one
That's fair enough to the extent that the respective fans (who usually want to see their main guernsey regardless) and players (who can recognise teammates' faces close up) are happy, but there are millions of other viewers around the country that would like to view the match without squinting to see which of the two dark teams with white numbers has white stripes and which one has a white monogram. There's also the umpries to consider.

That's fair enough to the extent that the respective fans (who usually want to see their main guernsey regardless) and players (who can recognise teammates' faces close up) are happy, but there are millions of other viewers around the country that would like to view the match without squinting to see which of the two dark teams with white numbers has white stripes and which one has a white monogram. There's also the umpries to consider.

As a viewer though I hate seeing white clash jumpers because I have no idea who is playing when I see them. I think we are too easily trashing club identity with some of these clash tops

One thing I will say is clubs are part of the problem here too. Wce are a prime example, with your clash issues only becoming huge with the move away from the royal blue wings to the tri panel which your own fans universally hate

Same with clubs with "light" front jerseys who decided to switch to black backs for their top, and then create issues with dark top clubs

Afl needs to be firmer with this, and a hell of a lot more consistent (I think everyone agrees the case by case ad hoc approach is a farce)

Keen as to buy the crows new white clash strip for next season. Simple design.. all whiten with navy, red and yellow half hoops on the front. simple.
last season crows claw design was a shocker.
I really liked your 2013 clash, agree with you wholeheartedly on last year's effort. Looks like your 2015 is a bit of a "let's take it down a notch" approach.

As a viewer though I hate seeing white clash jumpers because I have no idea who is playing when I see them. I think we are too easily trashing club identity with some of these clash tops

One thing I will say is clubs are part of the problem here too. Wce are a prime example, with your clash issues only becoming huge with the move away from the royal blue wings to the tri panel which your own fans universally hate
The cartoonish white clash jumpers are horrid, i totally agree. I think Freo and Port have it right though. And obviously Collingwood, whose clash is their previous, pre-2001 jumper anyway.

Nobody would agree with you more about West Coast on this matter than me.

Same with clubs with "light" front jerseys who decided to switch to black backs for their top, and then create issues with dark top clubs

Afl needs to be firmer with this, and a hell of a lot more consistent (I think everyone agrees the case by case ad hoc approach is a farce)
Well as I probably said earlier on this thread I really don't like teams using white at all unless it is actually one of their team's colours already and especially with some lame graphic on it. For mine almost all of the issues can be solved by teams just using the same colours they have already have and rearranging it by doing something like simply inverting them on the jumper. Still keeps the thing looking like a proper traditional jumper and not crap.

Well as I probably said earlier on this thread I really don't like teams using white at all unless it is actually one of their team's colours already and especially with some lame graphic on it. For mine almost all of the issues can be solved by teams just using the same colours they have already have and rearranging it by doing something like simply inverting them on the jumper. Still keeps the thing looking like a proper traditional jumper and not crap.

Agree on that, just disagree on how often it should be used

Fwiw even the inverse options cause issues. Some Crows fans wanting us to have a white one because they have yellow in their top is just one example

I'll give the eagles fans cred though. They could argue our inverse is inadequate against their navy blue top, but their reaction is "let us play in the royal blue wings FFS!!!"

Fwiw even the inverse options cause issues. Some Crows fans wanting us to have a white one because they have yellow in their top is just one example
Yeah that's silly no need to go overboard there's absolutely no problem if those 2 were together. Richmond's yellow reverse will also be fine as well against West Coast imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back