Opinion Classic one on one battles for Nth players and opponents

Remove this Banner Ad

John Blakey v Figjam Buckley in the 90s. He'd refused to honour a deal and play for us and we used to give him heaps.

Carey always rated Neitz very highly as an opponent, too.

Not sure as much after he kicked 11 or something on him one game! :p

Off topic; fan v fan-

1. Mid 70's Vic Park- post game, 2 Roos and 2 Filth rolling around in a puddle post game wrestling & punching.

2. 1985 Semi V Dogs- MCG- Dogs fan gets whacked by Roos fan for not 'sitting the * down'...Roos fan let back in at half time, Dogs fan not seen again.

3. 1995 Prelim V Blues- MCG- 10 goal thumping doesn't stop bottom deck of Sth Stand erupting into push and shoves b/w Blues and Roos fans prior to the final siren.

Cant recall any since 1995 FWIW.

Or punch him in the back of the head :D

Backmen have it much harder these days rules wise. Silvagni, Martyn and co would have to change their games massively.

They do however have much more support in structures so the days of FF getting so much space are long gone.

John Blakey v Figjam Buckley in the 90s. He'd refused to honour a deal and play for us and we used to give him heaps.

I remember listening to talkback radio on ABC after we played the Pies at the G in 2000.
Bucks was giving lip to Blakey in the FIGJAM manner during the game. Blakes just kept pointing out the premiership medals he had won. Bucks didnt back down on the lip tho.
Kingy then wondered over cause we know how much he loved to give it.
But then Duck also wandered over to who FIGJAM said, Wayne tell your mates to back off.
Duck said to him, Sorry! who are you?
Never forget this story just for the lols.

I remember listening to talkback radio on ABC after we played the Pies at the G in 2000.
Bucks was giving lip to Blakey in the FIGJAM manner during the game. Blakes just kept pointing out the premiership medals he had won. Bucks didnt back down on the lip tho.
But then Duck also wandered over to who FIGJAM said, Wayne tell your mates to back off.

Awesome moment! Nice tazaa

Of course I didn't see it being in Tassie, but geez the Carey swagger was awesome. Worth a few goals before even turning up to play.

We need that kind of attitude now. Boomer has it, Zeibs also, Cunners now, Swallow also but our bigs outside Thommo are a bit too "nice". Lets get nasty!! We could murder teams if all our players showed the Wells nasty instinct he gets only sometimes and cruise others.

There was a story that they used to run around Figjam with two fingers up in a 'V' to symbolise the two flags he didn't have.

Arnold Briedis had some good battles back in the day. Alot of good CHB's in the top teams in the 70's. Knights. McGhie. Doull. Never kicked a huge bag Arnie but held is own in some big games and gave as good as he got. Could get on his bike when he wanted too and run 'em around.

Last edited:
Arnold Briedis had some good battles back in the day. Alot of good CHB's in the top teams in the 70's. Knights. McGhie. Doull. Never kicked a huge bag Arnie but held is own in some big games and gave as good as he got. Could get on his bike when he wanted too and run 'em around.

That first 77 GF...wtf Arnie.

David king vs a very lippy akermanis in what I think was his debut.....goal scored and back from the ad beak and little Jason is unconscious on the ground. Jimmy Krakouer vs mark Harvey......pound for pound, jimmy would have to be one of the best boxers bar none. Beat the crap out of Harvey closed both His eyes and split his face open with one quick punch combo.

Kicked a lot of his 279 goals in finals, 5 in both the 75 and 77 GF's. Tough as they come, retired at 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really a one on one.

Jim & Phil Krakouer vs the world.

They got a lot of stick from opponents and spectators alike and got into numerous fights/melees but also played some of the best football I've seen.

One that came to mind was Martyn vs. Lloyd. Mick belted the weasel up for years but from probably 2000 onward it was a case of Lloyd hitting his peak and Mick a shadow of his former self.

On the coaches side Pagan v Sheedy and Scott v Scott. Not sure if coaches can be considered rivals but if they are the former is vastly underated and the latter overated.
One that came to mind was Martyn vs. Lloyd. Mick belted the weasel up for years but from probably 2000 onward it was a case of Lloyd hitting his peak and Mick a shadow of his former self.
Unfortunantly I never saw Mick in his prime and remember these contests as pretty one sided. :oops:

McCartney vs Clark Keating will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. :cry:

Not really a one on one.

Jim & Phil Krakouer vs the world.

They got a lot of stick from opponents and spectators alike and got into numerous fights/melees but also played some of the best football I've seen.

I agree with you about Jimmy but I don't remember Phil as a fighter at all. He wore the white hat, Jimmy wore the black hat.

Great to watch, both of them.

Carey vs Silvagni.... Dont know if anyones mentioned this one but Fullback of century vs the King..

Neitz handled the king better than most but I'll always remember that duel for the Rex Hunt commentary during that game when Carey defeated Melbourne by himself... Something along the lines of:
"The look on Neitz's face was like somebody just told him his grandmother died"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back