Opinion Classic one on one battles for Nth players and opponents

Remove this Banner Ad

People remember his hits very well, but I think some overlook that he was a bloody good defender and rebounder in his best years for us.

Regardless of the crunching bumps I can't remember him getting beaten too often....
Best post I've read from you. Pickett was an absolute fave of mine.

People remember his hits very well, but I think some overlook that he was a bloody good defender and rebounder in his best years for us.

Regardless of the crunching bumps I can't remember him getting beaten too often....
The first half of the 99 grand final....Carlton had control of the midfield and were constantly pumping the ball deep inside forward 50 and putting a stack of pressure on our defence.

And there was Choppy, cool as a cucumber and smooth as silk, winning the ball back almost effortlessly and pumping it forward over and over. No bumps, no aggro, just pure class.

He was silk, was Choppy. Had the same glide as Wellsy or Greig.

The year Choppy won the Rising Star was one of the best seasons I've seen from a young player. Was every bit as good as Selwoods or O'mearas. Gun

If people thought getting cleaned up by Choppy was bad back then, I'd hate to be cleaned up by him now. :cry:

I was in the rooms before a game once, and some poor sod was holding a big pad to protect him while players ran and bumped into him as part of the warm up.
In order McKernan, Carey, Archer, Martyn and then Pickett... The first 4 jolted him no doubt, but Byron got the guy freaking airborn and he smashed into the wall 2metres behind him. So explosive, so dangerous and so much fun to watch!!! Also remember him bombing barrels from inside the centre square against the pies one day... 2 from memory within a few minutes of each other.

The first half of the 99 grand final....Carlton had control of the midfield and were constantly pumping the ball deep inside forward 50 and putting a stack of pressure on our defence.

And there was Choppy, cool as a cucumber and smooth as silk, winning the ball back almost effortlessly and pumping it forward over and over. No bumps, no aggro, just pure class.

He was silk, was Choppy. Had the same glide as Wellsy or Greig.

Yep it was an fantastic game in that GF. One of many over those seasons when he combined grunt with class.

Winnie Abraham had the same glide too for mine. Such great natural movers

Least favourite:

Stevo v McLeod circa Sept 98

McLeod tore us apart on quite a few occasions.

I remember one night game at the G I actually flew over for, and he just absolutely killed us (we lost). Might have been early 2000s.

Remember tearing my hair out as he seemed to go from stoppage to stoppage like he had a serious contagious illness, as no one seemed to go near him yet he was being so damaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Brown v Ariel Steinberg

I remember sitting on the wing and watching Schimma and Robbie Flower turn it on a few times. One battle was such a beauty, I kept swapping wings each quarter to be close to their duel.

Used to enjoy seeing him (and Greigy) doing battle with Barham, also. Like RobZombie said, seriously great era for wingmen.

Saw the Mighty Roos vs the red dogs today on foxtel... think was round 23..

Saw Daniel wells knock out Shaun Higgins..

Awkward o_O

Last edited:
Not North either but - Rhys Jones vs. Diesel. Two talented blokes but also two blokes with a mean c*** streak running thick through the veins on the footy field.

Arnold Briedis had some good battles back in the day. Alot of good CHB's in the top teams in the 70's. Knights. McGhie. Doull. Never kicked a huge bag Arnie but held is own in some big games and gave as good as he got. Could get on his bike when he wanted too and run 'em around.
Arnie's behind-the-play right cross that dispatched with Glenn Hawker in the 1983 Prelim was a thing of great beauty.

One for the absolute ages - Cable v Matthews. Arguably the two best rovers to play the game; at least the best that I've seen. Cable's demolition of Matthews in the 1977 Prelim was probably the biggest touch up that Matthews copped in his illustrious 300+ game career. Cable was 34 years old at the time.

Josh Gibson vs the bathroom floor.

I believe soap was the deciding factor.

I have it from a reliable source that upon leaving the bathtub he was desperately straining to look at himself in the mirror and slipped on a dollop of metrosexual moisturiser he'd spilled the night before.

An obscure one perhaps? Makepeace vs Matera. Matera's eyes lit up every time, and Makepeace bought just about every piece of candy he offered. Was a good player Makey, but man he made me nervous! Every time he got caught 'ball watching' Matera (and others) could get off him and pick up a cheap goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back