Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would have thought so many positives would come from a game when we were 27-3 down at half time. Just the thought of having to sit through another half was painful. Yet a simple switch up at half time, and we dominate. I'd expect a few more of those first half performances to come this year, but there's definitely reason for optimism.

Hoyer looked good in the no huddle offense, but as he said himself that isn't going to win games in the long run. Just getting some chemistry with the receivers should hold them in good stead for the coming weeks though, with Hawkins in particular looking good. And who would have thought West and Crowell would combine for 140 yards and two touchdowns in the second half. The two of them have already shown more than Trent Richardson ever did. Crowell in particular looks like being a beast.

But most importantly, is the news that Josh Gordon may have his suspension lifted in the next few days. If that happens, then we suddenly have a true NFL calibre offense - Gordon, Austin and Hawkins at WR, Cameron at TE and Tate, West and Crowell at RB. Plus, a very good offensive line. Things are looking good. Which means something bad will happen this week. Something really bad...

Johnny Manziel named starter?

I was thinking traded to the 'Skins. Maybe management thinks along these same lines...

Robert Griffin was an exciting quarterback in 2012. He was a troubled, controversial quarterback in 2013. He is on pace to be an irrelevant quarterback in 2014.

I was thinking traded to the 'Skins. Maybe management thinks along these same lines...

Having an irrelevant QB is still better than being an irrelevant franchise

Uncv6Y3.gif

First time on this forum...Big Browns fan, but like most Aussies still trying to learn the finer points of the game.

Regarding the Steelers game, very positive for us overall I thought.
Especially when we had to play No-Huddle Football...bodes well for the future.

Love the Pettine postgame presser...he sounds like a bloke with a plan, especially when he spoke about the type of Offense he wants - One he'd hate to play against as a Defensive Co-ordinator. Ability to change tempo at the drop of a hat...Love that!

But most importantly, is the news that Josh Gordon may have his suspension lifted in the next few days. If that happens, then we suddenly have a true NFL calibre offense - Gordon, Austin and Hawkins at WR, Cameron at TE and Tate, West and Crowell at RB. Plus, a very good offensive line. Things are looking good. Which means something bad will happen this week. Something really bad...

Please say this is true! GORDON BACK!!! That would be a huge.

I know it's early days for the boy...but don't forget Johnny under Centre. If he can come to grips with the pocket, and yet explode out occasionally, imagine the possibilities that would create and the headache that would cause Defenses. Happy with Hoyer at the moment though!

My first time on this forum. Can't believe I haven't found you guys earlier!
Most of my mates who follow NFL support the usual suspects, Pats, Dolphins, Giants, Raiders etc. Very proud to follow what many regard as an unfashionable team.

Excited about the win over the Saints. And extra excited that the Pettine D is starting to find it's feet.

Hopefully we can put one over the Titans this morning, need that 2-2 start, from there we have a few easy ones.
We need J.G back, even though offensively we haven't had too many issues for once.
What's going on with our Defense!?!

Browns nearly had Harbaugh for two third-round picks
Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
harbaugh1.jpg
AP
As it becomes more and more clear that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh will be coaching elsewhere in 2015, the floor for a potential trade to another NFL team was set back in February.

Per a league source, the trade that would have sent Harbaugh to the Browns would have resulted in a pair of third-round draft picks going to San Francisco.

That’s a far cry from the two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and $8 million that the Buccaneers gave the Raiders for Jon Gruden nearly 13 years ago. And it’s possible that, if multiple teams opt to pursue Harbaugh, the 49ers could get more that what they would have gotten from the Browns, if Harbaugh had decided to leave the Bay Area.

But he (more specifically, his wife) didn’t want to leave the Bay Area, which could put Harbaugh in play for the Raiders job. One league source tells PFT that Harbaugh would “love” to return to the Raiders, where his non-playing career began in 2002 and 2003 as the team’s quarterbacks coach.

Ultimately, the Raiders could give up a lot less to the 49ers to get Harbaugh than the Buccaneers gave up to get Gruden from the Raiders. Unless the Raiders can lure Gruden back to Oakland.

Browns come back for wild 29-28 win over Titans
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
f12bf50cdc886f6d0fa6a31c1f248088.jpeg
AP
This time, the Browns got the breaks late.

They came back for a 29-28 win over the Titans, with Brian Hoyer leading a remarkable comeback from a 28-3 deficit.

They did it by locking down the Titans offense after knocking out quarterback Jake Locker.

Locker left the game just before halftime after whacking his right hand against the helmet of Browns cornerback Buster Skrine, who was in the process of whacking Locker in the helmet. That was actually the second shot to the head Locker took, after Browns linebacker Chris Kirksey forearmed him in the helmet on a touchdown run.

Locker watched the second half with a large wrap over his right thumb and wrist. He missed last week’s game with a wrist injury, and has battled injuries throughout his career, missing 15 games since the start of the 2012 season with one thing or another.

But his two touchdown runs in the first half were followed by a pair of first-half touchdown passes by backup Charlie Whitehurst, including a remarkable 75-yard touchdown pass to Justin Hunter.

But then the Browns tightened up, allowing just four first downs in the second half, as the Titans grew tentative with their backup quarterback in the game.

The Browns comeback was the thing the needed after recent near-misses. Hoyer hit Travis Benjamin with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns, helping the Browns improve to 2-2.

It was the biggest blown lead in Titans history, and perhaps a hint of the agony to come if Locker’s out any amount of time.

I set my alarm for 4am, went to bed early and my god I'm happy I stayed awake after half time, I almost went to sleep but slapped myself knowing we could win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I set my alarm for 4am, went to bed early and my god I'm happy I stayed awake after half time, I almost went to sleep but slapped myself knowing we could win.

Well done - great reward for your dedication. As for me, I had to content myself with internet updates while I was at work. #godawgs

Well done - great reward for your dedication. As for me, I had to content myself with internet updates while I was at work. #godawgs
Lol, you're an Everton fan also, pity about the Collingwood thing ;)

Haha I was just unfortunate when picking all of my teams as a kid. I may has well have picked Richmond. I was like "Essendon, the one reasonable team" inb4drugSaga

Who would have thought so many positives would come from a game when we were 27-3 down at half time. Just the thought of having to sit through another half was painful. Yet a simple switch up at half time, and we dominate. I'd expect a few more of those first half performances to come this year, but there's definitely reason for optimism.

Hoyer looked good in the no huddle offense, but as he said himself that isn't going to win games in the long run. Just getting some chemistry with the receivers should hold them in good stead for the coming weeks though, with Hawkins in particular looking good. And who would have thought West and Crowell would combine for 140 yards and two touchdowns in the second half. The two of them have already shown more than Trent Richardson ever did. Crowell in particular looks like being a beast.

Didn't know you were a Browns man Chris...

If only you rated McKenzie... ;)

So many reports stating that Gordon will be back sooner rather than later
Gordon back for the Falcons on Nov 23...
Although Josh Gordon originally was suspended for the entire 2014 season after failing another drug test, that punishment was cut to 10 games and officially ends later this month.

Some believed that a Browns offense without its best receiver would be a complete mess -- and it was hard to argue with that theory -- but in reality, quarterback Brian Hoyer has played better than most of us would have expected.

But now that Gordon is preparing to return for the Nov. 23 game vs. the Falcons, it's not difficult to imagine that Gordon immediately would be proclaimed once again as the team's offensive savior.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...offense-with-addition-of-josh-gordon?v=1&vc=3

I think it is a good point in the year to take stock at where the Browns are at. No Browns fan can complain with the general play of the team. It is far and away the best football I have ever seen a Browns team play. With back Gordon this week and a depleted defence, the rest of the season could go either way from here. Some notes on players.

Hoyer: He has been very good in the majority of his games. Has the tendency to make some big plays and great throws. However his failure to move up in the pocket and long stretches on inaccuracy leave me with a slightly underwhelming feeling. One thing that he has going against him in terms of his accuracy which I feel is underrated is the fact that he is throwing to a bunch of WR's under 5-8, thats not small thats tiny. Gordon should make Hoyer a more accurate QB

Mingo: He is turning into the complete opposite to what I thought he would be. Although low on sacks he has had a very good year for the browns. Playing through injury and being one of our better run stoppers. I wonder if we had more pass rushing options he would play more often at MLB. Big couple of weeks without Sheard, hopefully he can get a few sacks.

Gilbert: He has played better then some might have you believe. After a VERY rough start where he couldn't get anywhere near the WR's. He has played better and broken up a few plays. I think he will turn into a good player.

Manziel: I feel guilty for saying this but I'm starting to get itchy to see him play.

Top players through first half of the season: Thomas, Bitonio, Dansby, Gipso, Gabriel, Hawkins, Haden, Skrine

Biggest worry: Dline

I agree that Justin Gilbert has played better than he is maybe getting credit for, but he did play 0 snaps on the weekend against the Texans. He has been thoroughly outplayed by K'Waun Williams, who would arguably be one of the best rookie CBs in the league at the moment. He's been making a lot of plays.

I'm not sure what has happened with our D-line. Coming into the season, it was shaping as the obvious strength of our whole team. Obviously there have been a lot of injuries - Taylor and Winn missing games, Hughes and A Bryant out for the season. But they're getting absolutely no pressure on the QB and they can't stop the run to save themselves. Rubin has been a non factor, and I'm not sure the personnel group is quite right especially when they have Taylor lining up on an end.

I've been very very impressed by the contribution of the RBs.

Tate's gone now, but Crowell and West have been immense.

Whitner has proved a very astute mature pickup, as has Austin (despite him not having the speed he used to).

I'm interested to know what Browns fans think of the Manziel vs Hoyer debate.

Personally I'm glad we stayed with Hoyer. Although he has been average at best the last 4-5 games I think he still deserves to play out the season. Throwing in Manziel for the last few games of the season does not give us the best chance to win now. If Manziel does come in the chances that he play well with the offence that we have at the moment would be slim. Which would create doubts that he has any kind of future. He needs a full pre-season next year with all the resources at his disposal.

On another note. Heard some worrying news about Justin Gilbert from Tony Grossi. Apparently the coaches are very unhappy with his overall effort and dedication. I thought he was heading in the right direction. However Tony mentioned the dreaded 'B' word when he was talking about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back