Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Browns blew it with Josh Gordon
Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2015, 8:01 PM EST
gordon.jpg
Getty Images
With Browns receiver Josh Gordon facing a one-year suspension that he’s not expected to be able to defeat via the appeal process, his time with the team probably is over. After not having him for 10 games to start 2014 due to a marijuana violation and suspending him for the regular-season finale after missing a walk-through practice, the Browns now won’t have Gordon for all of 2015.

Her arrived in 2012 via the second-round of the supplemental draft. Despite plenty of warning signs regarding marijuana use in college, the Browns under former CEO Mike Holmgren, G.M. Tom Heckert, and coach Pat Shurmur rolled the dice, likely knowing that with Jimmy Haslam poised to purchase the team from Randy Lerner, a strong season would be a key to remaining employed. So why not use the 2013 second-round pick in July 2012, if there’s a chance they won’t be there to use the pick in April 2013?

A negotiated two-game suspension to start the 2013 season showed that concerns about Gordon were well founded. But the Browns could have traded Gordon before the October deadline, and ultimately Haslam prevented president Joe Banner, G.M. Mike Lombardi, and coach Rob Chudzinski from doing so. After the season, Gordon had outlasted a pair of team presidents, a pair of General Managers, and a pair of head coaches.

Then came the news at draft time that Gordon was facing a one-year suspension. The Browns didn’t draft a single receiver to replace him, even though they could have had Sammy Watkins with the fourth pick or Odell Beckham after trading down with Buffalo to No. 9.

Now, Gordon has once again let the Browns down, and it becomes very hard for the Browns to trust him again. If he’s reinstated in a year, the Browns would be wise to trade him. This time around, they surely won’t get anything close to what they could have gotten in 2013.

This is absolutely horrible. Just keeps going from no hope - a ray of sunshine - to no hope again. When will the Browns get their s**t together.

This is absolutely horrible. Just keeps going from no hope - a ray of sunshine - to no hope again. When will the Browns get their s**t together.
When they hire Sonny Weaver Jnr.

The Browns have confirmed Josh Gordon's latest suspension, which is for "at least" one year.

It's technically an indefinite suspension, but Gordon can apply for reinstatement after one calendar year. As long as he avoids any further trouble — obviously a huge "if" — he will be reinstated. "Throughout his career we have tried to assist him in getting support like we would with any member of our organization," GM Ray Farmer said. "Unfortunately our efforts have not resonated with him. It is evident that Josh needs to make some substantial strides to live up to the positive culture we are trying to build this football team upon." For now, it does not appear the Browns will cut their troubled No. 1 wideout.

Report: Jordan Cameron eager to leave the mess in Cleveland
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptvmmzexndzintywmtcwmdcynwnjyjy4nte5yty4mtm5-e1411316416754.jpeg
AP
The Browns are once again looking like a mess this offseason. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan wanted out and got his wish. Wide receiver Josh Gordon wanted to play but has been suspended for a year. Quarterback Johnny Manziel is heading for rehab for an alcohol problem.

And now comes word that tight end Jordan Cameron wants out. Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that Cameron, who becomes a free agent next month, is not interested in returning to Cleveland.

Cameron was a Pro Bowler in the 2013 season and played well at times in 2014, averaging 17.7 yards a catch. But Cameron has also suffered three concussions in the last two years, and that may scare a lot of potential suitors off. It’s unknown whether the Browns even want to keep Cameron.

La Canfora’s story paints the Browns as a disaster, with Manziel and fellow first-round pick Justin Gilbert both looking like draft busts and owner Jimmy Haslam meddling in work that should be left to the coaching staff and the personnel department. If things in Cleveland are as bad as this story makes it sound, then it’s easy to see why Cameron would be eager to leave.

Browns bear some of the blame for Gordon’s suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2015, 7:26 AM EST
d622c534c40f8ca07b16fc7517047068.jpeg
Getty Images
On Tuesday, Browns G.M. Ray Farmer called out receiver Josh Gordon for his latest suspension — a ban that will last at least one year. Farmer also should have called out the Browns organization, too.

“As we have conveyed, we are disappointed to once again be at this point with Josh,” Farmer said in the release announcing Gordon’s suspension. “Throughout his career we have tried to assist him in getting support like we would with any member of our organization. Unfortunately our efforts have not resonated with him. It is evident that Josh needs to make some substantial strides to live up to the positive culture we are trying to build this football team upon. Our hope is that this suspension affords Josh the opportunity to gain some clarity in determining what he wants to accomplish moving forward and if he wants a career in the National Football League.”

The fans should hope that the suspension also affords the organization the opportunity to gain some clarity in determining the best way to protect players from further suspension. In Gordon’s case, the Browns failed to make sure Gordon realized that the ban on drinking alcohol applied beyond the end of football season — and to make sure that he honored those conditions.

It’s possible that the Browns told Gordon, and that for whatever reason it simply didn’t register. Regardless, the Browns failed to ensure that the message got through to Gordon, who wrote last week that he tested positive after having four drinks on a January 2 flight to Las Vegas.

According to Gordon’s open letter posted online, receivers coach Mike McDaniel reportedly was on the flight with Gordon. While it’s possible McDaniel wasn’t sitting close enough to Gordon to realize that Gordon was drinking on the flight, Gordon’s position coach should have been the first guy keeping tabs on the player, ensuring he realized what he could and couldn’t do in the aftermath of last year’s 10-game suspension, and ultimately taking all reasonable steps to prevent Gordon from committing another violation.

Ultimately, Gordon is responsible for his actions. But it’s naive to assume that the Browns had no role in Gordon’s mistaken belief that he could drink after the regular season ended — especially since a Browns employee was on the same plane with Gordon when he did that which he was prohibited from doing.

So, yes, Gordon hasn’t handled himself well. But the Browns also haven’t handled Gordon well. Especially since they could have traded him less than two years ago but the same guy who pulled the trigger on drafting Johnny Manziel slammed the door on getting a second-round pick and a player for Gordon.

Cleveland Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam has to realize that some of the problems began with him

by Terry Pluto, February 05, 2015 at 7:36 AM

16914793-mmmain.jpg

Ray Farmer and Jimmy Haslam have a lot to talk about, including the mistakes that were made in 2014. (Joshua Gunter / NEOMG)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Josh Gordon is suspended for at least a season. Johnny Manziel is in rehabilitation.

What an off-season for the Browns.

I've been told that Manziel "definitely" made the decision to enter rehabilitation. His drinking problems are well-known. The Browns have wanted him to get that type of help. But they also knew Manziel had to make the call himself -- or there was no chance for it to work.

I was told by someone close to the situation that he did just that, confirming Mary Kay Cabot's report of a few days ago.

But the failure of Manziel and Gordon on the field at least partly reflects on the Browns owner, and Jimmy Haslam has to realize that.

I know it was Haslam who negated a deal of Gordon being sent to San Francisco for a future second round pick. That was in 2013 when Joe Banner was the CEO.

And it was Haslam who was enamored with Manziel. I don't know where the Ray Farmer/Mike Pettine group rated Manziel -- but the Banner front office had no interest in him in the upper rounds of the draft.

The way Farmer/Pettine talked about "playing like a Brown" and a power running game with savvy quarterback play certainly didn't sound like having Johnny Football at the controls.

But I admit to knowing what I don't know -- and I don't know what happened in the draft room.

I do know that Farmer said it was his idea to draft Manziel at No. 22. After the season, Farmer talked about believing Manziel could still be a "solid" NFL starter.

I saw no evidence of that in his six quarters as a starter that produced five non-penalty first downs and three points.

I'm still not sure why Farmer simply didn't say, "Johnny has to prove himself." That is true for the Texas A&M quarterback on several levels, personal and professional.

Nor is it wise for Farmer to talk as if wide receivers are almost irrelevant. A talented receiver can really help an average quarterback look good, just as elite quarterbacks can turn so-so receivers into stars.

Just ask Cincinnati's Andy Dalton how throwing to the big and talented A.J. Green makes life easier for a quarterback.

With Gordon suspended and Manziel addressing his personal issues, the Browns can stop wishing/dreaming/hoping that those players will be a factor in 2015.

If Manziel does surprise, great. But his name must be written in pencil and deep on the depth chart. Gordon's actions erased himself for the season.
Rookie Crowell makes his case to stay CROWELL Undrafted running back displays speed, determination while gaining 102 yards from B1One of Ray Farmer's best moves was signing running back Isaiah Crowell as an undrafted free agent. Thomas Ondrey / The Plain Dealer

MORE PROBLEMS

I do wish the Browns problems ended right there. I'm stunned to hear of the reports of Farmer being one of those who supposedly sent texts to his coaches during games, a clear violation of NFL rules. He has been around the NFL for a long time and must know better.

That's why I'm holding back comments on Farmer texting until the league rules. I've long considered Farmer a good man and that is his reputation around the league.

But I also know what I don't know. I have no clue of who did what when it came to the texting, other than someone with the Browns embarrassed themselves. It will be very discouraging if that someone is Farmer.

I do like some of Farmer's big-picture ideas for the team, such as building on the run until you can find an impact quarterback.

Guard Joel Bitonio was a steal in the second round. Linebacker Chris Kirksey and Terrance West are excellent third-round picks, where only 20 percent of the selections become starters.

They added productive players as undrafted free agents: Taylor Gabriel, Isaiah Crowell and K'Waun Williams. All started games.

Fourth-rounder Pierre Desir did more than first-rounder Justin Gilbert at cornerback. Great for Desir, bad for the Browns and Gilbert. He was their first-round pick, the idea of Farmer and Pettine. Haslam had nothing to do with that choice.

Gilbert had issues when it came to being on time for meetings and preparing for practice and games. Either the Browns didn't know that, or they picked him at No. 8 anyway hoping the Oklahoma State product would mature in the NFL.

PAIN AND DOUBT

The Browns owner faces a major public relations and image problems just as free agency approaches on March 10.

In the last two years the Browns added four significant players -- Paul Kruger, Karlos Dansby, Donte Whitner and Desmond Bryant. Yes, the Browns probably "overpaid" for them, but a team in the Browns position often has to do that.
But Haslam has to make sure that the same mistakes that were made the last few years (including some by the owner) are not repeated.

Kruger and Bryant were signed by Banner, while his general manager Mike Lombardi pushed hard for Brian Hoyer. Farmer imported Dansby and Whitner, and I love those additions.

The Browns still are overflowing with salary cap room -- more than $20 million before they start shedding some players to create even more cap space.

Yes, money talks. It sometimes screams.

But the Browns postseason has been such a nightmare with the ugly departure of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and the mess with Manziel and Gordon. Furthermore, a depressing cloud hangs over the Browns until the NFL rules on the texting issue.

And doubts will linger about Farmer until the next draft and free agency. Can he execute a major upgrade of the roster? He has picks No. 12 and 19 in the first round. There are rumors about trading up for a quarterback, but it seems the Browns lack the high picks needed to make that happen.

Until Haslam sticks with the same general manager/coach for at least three years, there will be rumors that he's preparing to fire everyone -- again. That's why the owner needs to stand with his football people during these painful times.

Free agency and the draft are coming, something that can take a team off football life-support. But Haslam has to make sure that the same mistakes that were made the last few years (including some by the owner) are not repeated.

Ray Farmer feels like the #TextGate fall guy
Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
haslam.jpg
Getty Images
Browns G.M. Ray Farmer has been revealed as the previously-unknown personnel executive who sent text messages to the coaching staff during games regarding play calls.

A league source has told PFT that the messages actually went to a non-coaching employee on the sidelines, who then relayed the information to a member of the coaching staff.

And while the messages may have been actually sent by Farmer (or at a minimum with his phone), the real question is whether Farmer did it on his own or whether he did so with the knowledge or at the direction of folks above him in the organization. Such as, for example, the owner of the team.

The best evidence as to whether Farmer is simply the fall guy could come from whether his employment continues once the decision on discipline is announced. If owner Jimmy Haslam doesn’t fire Farmer for his role in #TextGate (especially after Farmer drafted Johnny Manziel at a time when the Browns knew or should have known that Manziel was a ticking time bomb), some (such as me) will suspect that Haslam is displaying loyalty to the guy who absorbed the #TextGate bullet.

Or maybe Farmer isn’t the fall guy. Maybe he was acting entirely alone. Maybe, just maybe, a key employee of Haslam’s billion-dollar business would deliberately and blatantly violate the rules under Haslam’s nose without Haslam knowing anything about it.

This time around, it apparently would cost far less than a $92 million fine to get the powers-that-be to accept that story.

ESPN Cleveland expects the NFL to "come down hard" on the Browns for embattled GM Ray Farmer allegedly texting in playcalls to the sidelines.

Characterizing this an "Offseason from Hell," beat writer Tony Grossi expects the Browns to face some "combination of fines, suspensions or draft choices taken away." Johnny Manziel is in rehab, Josh Gordon is already done for 2015, OC Kyle Shanahan essentially quit due to organizational dysfunction, and 2014 No. 8 overall pick Justin Gilbert already looks like a lost cause. And now the Browns may lose 2015 draft choices.

ESPN Cleveland expects the NFL to "come down hard" on the Browns for embattled GM Ray Farmer allegedly texting in playcalls to the sidelines.

Characterizing this an "Offseason from Hell," beat writer Tony Grossi expects the Browns to face some "combination of fines, suspensions or draft choices taken away." Johnny Manziel is in rehab, Josh Gordon is already done for 2015, OC Kyle Shanahan essentially quit due to organizational dysfunction, and 2014 No. 8 overall pick Justin Gilbert already looks like a lost cause. And now the Browns may lose 2015 draft choices.
You forgot about the new emblem...:confused:
browns-new-logo.jpg

Oh...and Jordan Cameron wanting OUT!
The only thing left to do is blame and sack the Head Coach...poor Mike Pettine. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time!

Last edited:
Goodell is a bona-fide idiot and/or terrible liar....

---------------------

Roger Goodell thinks Jimmy Haslam is doing a heck of a job
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 26, 2015, 6:47 AM EST
0e21112bc7420f89cddc3da7ca8ef540-e1424951206550.jpeg
AP
Since Jimmy Haslam took over the Cleveland Browns, they’ve gone 16-25, drafted a party-hard quarterback upon the advice of a homeless guy, and gotten themselves in trouble for illegal texting during games.

They’ve changed strategies, coaches, General Managers and team presidents, saw their best player repeatedly suspended for substance abuse, and unveiled a new logo which involved moving one block over on the Pantone chart.

Oh, and Haslam’s been investigated on federal fraud charges resulting in paying a $92 million settlement to the government.

But you know who thinks Haslam’s doing a swell job? NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Via Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon Journal, Goodell praised the work Haslam’s doing to turn around (?) the Browns.

I’m a big fan of Jimmy Haslam,” Goodell said. “There are few quick fixes in this business and the league is so competitive. You really have to build a foundation. If it was easy, anybody could do it. There are 32 competitive teams.

“He’s learned a great deal. He’s making very smart decisions for the long term. I think this community — and I know this is Browns country — I think they’re fortunate to have Jimmy Haslam as an owner and we’re fortunate to have him.”

As endorsements go, that ranks right up there with “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.”

Goodell made the comments during an appearance at the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce dinner, taking questions in a relaxed setting from Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf, and not reporters, who would have certainly leaned in on the assertion that there’s nothing to see here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jimmy was part of a group that paid me $44+mil last season I'd be brown-nosing him in public too.

At least you're honest PHX.

I'd take another direction and burn the money and make some noise. :)

At least you're honest PHX.

I'd take another direction and burn the money and make some noise. :)
I'd hope behind closed doors he's making noise but I'd honestly be surprised if he did.

No value in firing shots through the media though.

It's too embarrassing to be patting someone in the back yet knowing too well that there is obvious turmoil still lingering and that starts with guys like your starting QB wanting out... the back up is in rehab, OC leaves and best player suspended.. another reason why Go-To-Hell as they refer to Goodell on the Steeler forums... is a DUD commish... what he ought to be doing is explaining one on one why Haslam can't be expected to win with cracks in the franchise but since Go-To-Hell isn't a football person, wtf does he care... he doesn't have pride... he's basically the luckiest S.O.B. on the planet.

Does it annoy anyone else that all GG seems to do lately is post negative articles (and never positive ones) in team threads, and then spend the rest of his time posting articles in defense of the Raiders and why they shouldnt move to LA?

Just something i've noticed recently.

That, and the fact that majority of the articles he posts come from the worst "news" site going around, Florio the Fraud's PFT.

Does it annoy anyone else that all GG seems to do lately is post negative articles (and never positive ones) in team threads, and then spend the rest of his time posting articles in defense of the Raiders and why they shouldnt move to LA?

Just something i've noticed recently.

That, and the fact that majority of the articles he posts come from the worst "news" site going around, Florio the Fraud's PFT.
He really does enjoy it doesn't he? I can't begrudge it though, if I supported the raiders I would be cynical too

But seriously I enjoy him always posting negative articles and how much enjoyment he gets from it

Gimme DeVante Parker at 12, Ereck Flowers at 19, and if he lasts, cut our losses on Manziel and take Sean Mannion in a later round.

I'll ignore the Manziel bit...

I don't understand the obsession with taking a tackle in the first round. The media are loving the idea. Yes, we can upgrade RT. And yes, the front office has stated their commitment to building each of the lines. But, Mitchell Schwartz really isn't that bad. And I'm quietly confident with Michael Bowie. Considering we have three all pro linesmen already, I don't really see the need to spend a first round pick on another spot on the line. Plus, we plucked Bitonio in the second round with no fanfare. Give it another shot! Although having said, I wouldn't be surprised if we had La'el Collins at the top of our board.

And defensive line is a way bigger need than offensive line. Rubin wont be back due to his massive contract, and he played poorly anyway. Taylor hasn't lived up to the hype consistently yet either. Hughes and Winn are our best tackles, but are rotational players. And Bryant is good, but only on an end. I would kill to get Danny Shelton or Malcolm Brown.

Wide receiver will likely be the backup depending on how the picks fall - for example, a Shelton/Strong combination instead of Collins/Brown if La'el is off the board.

I'll ignore the Manziel bit...

I don't understand the obsession with taking a tackle in the first round. The media are loving the idea. Yes, we can upgrade RT. And yes, the front office has stated their commitment to building each of the lines. But, Mitchell Schwartz really isn't that bad. And I'm quietly confident with Michael Bowie. Considering we have three all pro linesmen already, I don't really see the need to spend a first round pick on another spot on the line. Plus, we plucked Bitonio in the second round with no fanfare. Give it another shot! Although having said, I wouldn't be surprised if we had La'el Collins at the top of our board.

And defensive line is a way bigger need than offensive line. Rubin wont be back due to his massive contract, and he played poorly anyway. Taylor hasn't lived up to the hype consistently yet either. Hughes and Winn are our best tackles, but are rotational players. And Bryant is good, but only on an end. I would kill to get Danny Shelton or Malcolm Brown.

Wide receiver will likely be the backup depending on how the picks fall - for example, a Shelton/Strong combination instead of Collins/Brown if La'el is off the board.
Brown I like a lot, but feel he's a bit one dimensional at the top level, and has no real explosiveness in his speed. Gimme Gurley all day if we're looking at a RB.

What about Jordan Phillips at NT? Raw, but athletic and HUGE (6'5 329lbs).

I haven't seen Shelton play, so can't really comment, but he is highly rated...

I get what you're saying about the defensive line. We were pants against the rush last year.

EDIT: wait, you're talking about the other Malcolm Brown from Texas... He's a bit passive at the line isn't he?

Last edited:
Brian Hartline is a nice signing. It wont get a lot of fanfare, but it's very much in line with Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins last year - our two best receivers. Along with Taylor Gabriel, it's a handy receiving group - especially if we do go after Cecil Shorts too. Still lacking that 'big' name, sure. But you can be reasonably confident that there wont be too many dropped catches. We'll be a run first team, but we can at least move the sticks - one reason why I don't think we'll go WR in the first round.

Most interesting thing this offseason will be Buster Skrine. I don't see Rubin, Cameron or Sheard returning. So we should have the money to match Skrine, but I can't imagine us overpaying him - not to the extent he'll get on the open market. Signing him to a massive contract when we already have Haden, Whitner and hopefully soon Gipson on big contracts would mean a lot of money is tied up in the secondary. Especially with Williams and Desir showing good signs, and Gilbert supposedly in a better place. The other factor is that I think we'd be happy to lose all four and collect compensation picks. Fits the build through the draft philosophy, while picking up cheap pieces through other means.

The best part though is Hartline saying that he had higher offers from other clubs, but left the money on the table to play in Cleveland. Someone finally wants to come to us! Now to sign Shorts, Trent Cole and a tight end...

Brian Hartline is a nice signing. It wont get a lot of fanfare, but it's very much in line with Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins last year - our two best receivers. Along with Taylor Gabriel, it's a handy receiving group - especially if we do go after Cecil Shorts too. Still lacking that 'big' name, sure. But you can be reasonably confident that there wont be too many dropped catches. We'll be a run first team, but we can at least move the sticks - one reason why I don't think we'll go WR in the first round.

Most interesting thing this offseason will be Buster Skrine. I don't see Rubin, Cameron or Sheard returning. So we should have the money to match Skrine, but I can't imagine us overpaying him - not to the extent he'll get on the open market. Signing him to a massive contract when we already have Haden, Whitner and hopefully soon Gipson on big contracts would mean a lot of money is tied up in the secondary. Especially with Williams and Desir showing good signs, and Gilbert supposedly in a better place. The other factor is that I think we'd be happy to lose all four and collect compensation picks. Fits the build through the draft philosophy, while picking up cheap pieces through other means.

The best part though is Hartline saying that he had higher offers from other clubs, but left the money on the table to play in Cleveland. Someone finally wants to come to us! Now to sign Shorts, Trent Cole and a tight end...
We don't really need a 'name' IMO. We need someone that can be a consistent deep threat.

I'd like to keep Cameron, but if we can't I'd hope we'll look to target a Busta Anderson or Devin Funchess at the draft table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back