Player Watch Clinton Young 2007-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Dasher The High-flying HAWK
http://wimmera.yourguide.com.au/news...px?storypage=2

High-flying HAWK

BY ROY WARD [BB]
2/01/2009 1:00:00 AM

FOR Hawthorn's Clinton Young the hardest part of going back to training has not been the strain of training but trying to forget about the biggest moment of his career, winning the AFL grand final.

The Hawks have been trying to put their September triumph over Geelong behind them so they can focus on the 2009 season.
But Young, 22, said it was not an easy thing to do.

Season 2009.

Clinton Young was reported in the Hawks 1st round NAB Cup clash against Melbourne on Saturday 21.02.09 at Launceston.

Panel negligent on reckless bumps​

It's easy to understand how Clinton Young escaped match review panel scrutiny yesterday with a reprimand and carry-over points. His misdemeanour in a clash with Aaron Davey in Launceston on Saturday was assessed as negligent contact to the body, and of low impact.

Sounds innocent enough so a reprimand and 93.75 points seems appropriate.

It was a blatant act of tunnelling, and Davey might have been seriously hurt.

If Young and Motlop were "negligent", I'll be interested to see the 2009 definition of "reckless".

NAB Cup Round 1 2009

Reprimands for Clint Young, Daniel Motlop

February 23, 2009 03:45pm

HAWTHORN'S Clint Young and Port Adelaide's Daniel Motlop have escaped suspension for incidents during the weekend's matches. Young, who got into the back of Aaron Davey during a marking contest, can take a reprimand and 93.75 demerit points by pleading guilty.

Round 1 2009 vs Geelong.

Kicks 10
Handballs 8
Disposals 18
Marks 6
Tackles 4
Goals 0
Behinds

Hawthorn 3.2 8.4 10.6 16.7 (103)
Geelong 4.8 8.16 14.19 15.21 (111)

GOALS
Hawthorn:
Franklin 5, Roughead 4, Dew 2, Osborne 2, Bateman, Rioli, Stokes.
Geelong: Gamble 2, Johnson 2, Mooney 2, Rooke 2, Ablett, Blake, Chapman, Enright, Lonergan, Mackie, Varcoe.

BEST
Hawthorn:
Mitchell, Franklin, Tuck, Birchall, Bateman, Roughead.
Geelong: Ablett, Johnson, Chapman, Ottens, Corey, Rooke.

A couple of days ago a thread appeared on the the Hawks main board with the thread opener querying Clinton's value to the team. A clear majority of posters responded with some in-depth positive evaluations which to my mind were more to the mark.

Here is what I wrote about My Man -

Gary Shadforth said:
Thank goodness a greater majority of posters commenting in this thread appreciate Clinton's value to the team abacking up the faith Alastair Clarkson has in him.

How short the memories are. Only two games back, you know, one that is called a Grand Final, a game that he would have been certain to be selected for due to his season's fine form.

Young had a big first half in the grand final causing Channel Seven commentator Bruce McAvaney to mention Young as a candidate for the Norm Smith Medal at half time before his ankle injury ended his hopes of the award.

Over the first half, before his ankle caved in, McAvaney constantly called him as ' ... the dangerous Young ......'.

I am so proud of Clinton. On debut against North in the latter stages of season 2005, fresh from being promoted off the rookie list, I recognised talent albeit so raw. As time unfolded over following seasons I observed from listening to and reading about Clarko and his honchos seeing so much potential in Clint’s attributes of escaping opponents, deftly baulking them with both sides of the body, running the lines and launching his now notorious raking 60 metre lefties in seeking team mates on the lead or aiming for the big sticks himself. .

The most important of those rockets was in the Grand Final when the Dasher lived up to his nickname in magnificent style to sail the pill though the middle to put our side in front of the Cats. It was at that point I said to myself: "We are going to win this".

Peoples in ths place, of course, are fully entitled to bag the young man. One quirk thay have is that it can be generally found that they bag most the members of the rest of our team when they are down in form. Not exactly the type of person to have alongside one in war-time trenches.

Young puts best foot forward(Artical)
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/tabid/4...x?newsid=74743

By Luke Holmesby 10:12 AM Fri 10 April, 2009
ClintonYoung_246.jpg
Clinton Young celebrates the 2008 premiership win

WHEN Clinton Young landed awkwardly on his ankle in the third quarter of last year's grand final, his immediate reaction was devastation.

Young is not the only member of his family to take the field this week. Little brother Lachlan, who has Down syndrome, took part in a match between the Ringwood Spiders and Mazenod Panthers at half time of Thursday night's Collingwood-Geelong match.

These teams are involved in the Football Integration Development Association, a competition for people with intellectual disability aged 14 years and over. There are more than 500 people and 25 teams connected to similar associations across Australia.

Thanks for the article, noosa.

Clinton personifies our players' teammanship.

I have had the pleasure of meeting (then) little Lachlan and his family before the 2007 final breathtaking clincher against the Crows. They had travelled all the way down from Minyip and had parked next to me at the Dome. Lauchie is a favorite with the players.

2009 Round 3 vs Kangaroos

Not a big game game from dasher but his work of the ball is shown with the 2nd highest tackle count of any Hawk behind Junior with 8!

Kicks 6
Handballs 5
Disposals 11
Marks 3
Tackles 7
Goals 0
Behinds

BEST
Hawthorn: Mitchell, Roughead, Bateman, Hodge, Guerra, Dew, Franklin, Whitecross, Birchall. North Melbourne: Gibson, Rawlings, Simpson, Swallow

Round 4 V Port Adelaide

Kicks 11
Handballs11
Disposals 22
Marks 9
Tackles 2
Goals 0
Behinds

PORT ADELAIDE
4.3 6.4 10.6 17.13 (115)
HAWTHORN 2.2 5.6 9.12 12.13 (85)
GOALS: Port Adelaide:
Tredrea 6, Ebert 2, Lade 2, Gray 2, Logan 2, Brogan, Pearce, Rodan. Hawthorn: Rioli 3, Franklin 3, Sewell, Moss, Hodge, Campbell, Dew, Mitchell.
BEST: Port Adelaide: Tredrea, K Cornes, Chaplin, Carlile, Logan, Pearce, Boak, Krakouer. Hawthorn: Rioli, Williams, Sewell, Bateman, Moss, Morton.

Thanks to LMH for the update article!

It has been a frustrating month for everyone at Hawthorn because we haven't been able to play our best football.​
We keep having premiership players coming back into the side but at the same time we have other blokes coming out.
On Saturday night I injured my hamstring against the Eagles, which was very frustrating.

I have had a sore left hip for a past few weeks and I think that might have caused the problem in my hamstring.
I have never done a hamstring injury in a match before and I pulled up as soon as I did the injury, went off the field and didn't come back.

Hopefully I don't spent too long on the sidelines but at least it should give me time to also get my hip right so when I return I will be fully fit.
Our family was very proud when my little brother Lachie played on the Melbourne Cricket Ground during half time in the Geelong versus Collingwood match on Easter Thursday. It was a great day and we were all very proud to see Lachie running around in front of one the biggest crowds of the season.

Lachie started on the wing but soon drifted to full-forward where he gave out plenty of directions but couldn't get on the end of any passes.
The whole family were in the crowd supporting Lachie. For one week someone in the family played in front of a bigger crowd than I did.

During the next few matches the team is hoping to play our best football and start putting some wins together.
We were able to fight our way to a win on Saturday night and now we hope to go on from there.:thumbsu:

Round 5 V West Coast

Injured early Dasher did his (hamstring) and will miss up to 3 weeks
Kicks 3
Handballs 6
Disposals 9
Marks 2
Tackles 6
Goals 0
Behinds

HAWTHORN 1.3 4.5 6.7 11.8 (74)
WEST COAST 1.5 2.9 5.11 7.14 (56)
GOALS:Hawthorn:
Moss 4, Roughead 4, Franklin 2, Rioli.
West Coast: McKinley 3, Embley, Lynch, Priddis, Hunter.
BEST: Hawthorn: Lewis, Moss, Mitchell, Bateman, Sewell, Roughead, Rioli. West Coast: Cox, Rosa, Priddis, Wirrpanda.
INJURIES: Hawthorn: Young (hamstring). West Coast: Kerr (cut mouth).

Snapped these pictures of Clinton Young at training recently.

ClintonYoung13820091-1.jpg
ClintonYoung13820092.jpg

Talking to Rusty he said how good it was to have him at the training sessions assisting in drill-sessions.

Theses are sad pictures, really. Dasher has suffered three almost concurrent injuries, calf, shoulder and hip, the latter causing the finish of a limited season.

The photos are distressing when one’s mind casts back to last year’s glory - Clinton had a big first half in the grand final and Channel Seven commentator Bruce McAvaney mentioned our Dasher as a candidate for the Norm Smith Medal at half time before his ankle injury ended his hopes of the award.

We have missed his 80 metres worth in baulking, breaking the lines and launching the lefties into the scoring zone. Our forwards have been starved of and missed so much Clint’s mid-field work.

Let’s hope the hero of the Wimmera district has a great pre-season prep and we get back the benefits of his dash on the flanks and speedy deliveries forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx
List assessment: Hawthorn
By Chris Fagan

Clinton Young
Another one whose season never got off the ground. He had a hip problem which caused him to miss the majority of games. He is a player we really missed because he is such a good outside running player with great speed and he can really kick the ball. We really noticed his absence, but he will be up and going next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sam-mitchell-is-hawks-best/story-e6frf9jf-1225782526118

HAWTHORN captain Sam Mitchell's consistency in what proved to be a difficult year for his club has won him his second Peter Crimmins Medal.

Mitchell gathered votes in 21 of his 22 matches to poll 170 votes to easily defeat second-year star Cyril Rioli (123)and brilliant forward Lance Franklin (121).

In other awards on the night, the AFL's youngest player this season, Liam Shiels, won the club's best first year player, while Clinton Young, who endured a frustrating year with injury, won the Best Clubman award.

Congratulations to ‘My Man’ Clinton for taking out the ‘Best Clubman’ award last night at the Crimmo Medal Night.

When I was at training a few weeks back, Rusty told me that Clint is regularly out on the training track with the boys assisting with drills and equipment. Dasher has had probs with calf, shoulder and hip, suffered almost simultaneously,

He played only 5 games this year. For a premiership player that’s near to the same bad luck Croady has had.

ClintonYoung13820091-1.jpg
ClintonYoung13820092.jpg

A forlorn Clint Snapped at training on August 13.

mb_young_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg
Hawk Clinton Young, pictured during the 2008 grand final, could be forced into retirement with a hip injury.
Photo: Paul Rovere

Young Hawk's career in doubt

Brent Diamond | October 18, 2009

HAWTHORN appears to be continuing to pay for its breakthrough 2008 premiership with doubt now surrounding the future of influential playmaker Clinton Young.
The Sunday Age understands the Hawks' aggressive trading for Port Adelaide star midfielder Shaun Burgoyne had much to do with the uncertain futures of two of their top ball-winners - with some doubt also over whether midfielder Rick Ladson can return to his best after undergoing knee surgery after round 16.
Young could end up following ruckman Robert Campbell, who retired this season with a degenerative knee injury.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/hawks-career-in-doubt/2009/10/17/1255624774809.html

Midway through the 2008 GF I thought Youngy was on the verge of becoming the best outside mid in the game.

Sensational kick, had dramatically improved his contesting skills and his ability to put on the afterburners and blow the opposition away, was elite.

Hope he gets back on the park. Fingers crossed for you Dasher.

Does anyone have anymore news about CY? I heard the rumor through a friend about 3 weeks ago that he was going to announce retirement and then The Age article landed?

At last an announcement from the club on Clint .... quite to the contrary of The Age article linked in the op.

Hawthorn Football Club said:
Clinton Young
Another one whose season never got off the ground. He had a hip problem which caused him to miss the majority of games. He is a player we really missed because he is such a good outside running player with great speed and he can really kick the ball. We really noticed his absence, but he will be up and going next year.

Clinton Young assessment

002YoungClinton5.jpg

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/news/lo...stralian-rules/young-still-young/1671689.aspx

Young still young

BY ROY WARD
9/11/2009 9:58:00 AM
"REPORTS of my death are greatly exaggerated." Those were the famous words penned by Mark Twain and they are also the sentiments of Hawthorn midfielder Clinton Young who is aiming to be on the field in round one next season.

Media reports last month said Young's AFL football career was in jeopardy and he was close to retirement.
Young suffered from debilitating groin and hip problems this year and was forced to end his season prematurely.

But Young, formerly of Minyip, said his body had responded well to two off-season operations and he was on track for a return in round one.
"They can write what they like but I know my own body," he said. "My recovery is going along well.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Thanks To LMH for the Link!:thumbsu:

Simon Taylor quizzes Clint ....

2009 HawkTalk / Yearbook

CopyofClintonYoungquizzedyearbook09.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back