Cloke chasing contract extension (poll added)

Does Cloke deserve a contract extension?

• Yes, just give it to him, we need to lock him in for beyond 2017

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, not at all, he is over-paid and under-performing

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Prefer to wait and review season 2016

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
From The Age

Collingwood veteran Travis Cloke is expected to open contract renegotiations mid-season, with the power forward to chase a three-year extension.

Cloke's five-year deal does not expire until the end of 2017, but, as is becoming the custom among the league's best players, extension talks are set to begin more than a year out.

However, it is understood discussions this time will involve only Cloke and his manager-father David – the former Collingwood and Richmond great.

Cloke will be 30 when his contract expires, but, having looked after his body well and still being mentally fresh, he is likely to seek a three-year deal.

No thanks. Fool me once.

He can have a one year contract extension at a significantly lower price. Once a player turns 30 we only really deal with 1 year extensions at a time. Surely Trav won't be any different.

The only way he gets more if he kicks 50+ goals this year.

I'd say they'd be happy to tack 2 years onto the contract to take him to the end of 2019, but they should have it weighted towards games played and various other performance rewards, not a huge base payment.

He'll obviously be on less than his current contract but his pay will depend upon getting out on the park and performing.

I don't think other clubs will be belting down the door to pay him huge dollars but there will be a bit of interest about if he stays sound.

This sounds so much likes he wants to cash in again from his reputation from yesteryear. Let him perform in line with the expectations.
I would rather give White another contract.

Great, let's see what crazy antics Damir gets up to this time.
As a previous poster said, once he hits 30, 1 year extensions. Unless he does something slightly resembling a power forward this year, he won't have a lot of currency with other clubs. Moore and Gault should be maturing as tall forwards towards the end of his contract so the ball is certainly in the Club's court for negotiations.

He'll have to really perform this season.

Heard on the radio that Frank and Ox called him the most overrated forward or even player and I can't disagree with that.

Great, let's see what crazy antics Damir gets up to this time.
As a previous poster said, once he hits 30, 1 year extensions. Unless he does something slightly resembling a power forward this year, he won't have a lot of currency with other clubs. Moore and Gault should be maturing as tall forwards towards the end of his contract so the ball is certainly in the Club's court for negotiations.
Gault ffs I just had breakfast.

If cloke has another season like his last two he wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on. He'd wanna have a big year if he wants to make some serious cash, atm I'd be lucky to offer him 500, that would be the absolute most. And if he greedy cat of a father takes us for a ride again I'd tell them to go and stuff it.

If he comes out and kicks 70+ this year, happy to pay him a decent fund! But yeah, I was willing to go for a ride last time cause he was the in the best 3 key forwards in the league, now he'd be lucky to be in the best 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will have a career best season. Bookmark it. Love cloke but can't understand why he's after an extension so far out. If anything his value has diminished over the last season or 2.

Having said that, the big boy is obviously motivated by good coin so I expect a 65-75 goal AA season from him. He sure loves those 5 buck notes.

Reading between the lines on this one ...

Treloar (6 years) + Pendlebury (5 years) + Aish (3 years) + Howe (3 years) have just signed big contracts ...

... With Sidebottom (FA) + Adams + Williams + Brown + Frost + Swanny set to sign contract extensions this year (a few of those will be due a healthy pay rise) ...

... This is Cloke saying "don't forget to leave enough room for me in the salary cap".

Curious excerpt from the article ...

Negotiations over Cloke's last contract, when he was chased by several clubs, including a significant offer from Fremantle, were played out heavily in the media – something he is keen to avoid this time.

... Now HTF did this article end up in the media?

From CFC? ...

images

The Cloke camp are leaking the idea of a contract extension two years out through the media, saying they are keen to avoid playing it out in the media?!?!?

Sounds like a threat to me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Give him a 2 year extension now on his current form!!! if he has a blinder this year he will want more.

Yeah, get signed before he hits good form and wants more money.

I'd rather he sign a contract soon so that we get him for cheaper than at the end of the year, when he's played as a CHF roaming up the ground and dominated.

Wait until at least seeing how he goes in 2016, and start negotiations sometime in 2017.
Get all of our youngsters signed on as a priority first - and don't break the bank on Trav - particularly nowhere near his current salary.

I could see Cloke playing for another couple of years after his current deal (2018 +/- 2019)... but the question becomes how valuable will he be to our team at that stage? And that depends not only on his form, but those around him (plus any KPF we may bring in).

IIRC he had a cracker of a year when his contract was up for negotiation, and then went downhill after he was re-signed?

Don't see any motivation for us to offer him a contract two years out.

I'm pretty sure he had a near career best season in the 1st year of his 5 year deal, just getting pipped for the Coleman medal by Roughhead.

Reading between the lines on this one ...

Treloar (6 years) + Pendlebury (5 years) + Aish (3 years) + Howe (3 years) have just signed big contracts ...

... With Sidebottom (FA) + Adams + Williams + Brown + Frost + Swanny set to sign contract extensions this year (a few of those will be due a healthy pay rise) ...

... This is Cloke saying "don't forget to leave enough room for me in the salary cap".
out of that lot...
  • sidebottom - 3 years (must)
  • williams - also 3 years
  • brown - 2 years performance based
  • frost - 3 years
  • swan - 1 year extension. no-one except gws would consider him for longer

IIRC he had a cracker of a year when his contract was up for negotiation, and then went downhill after he was re-signed?

Don't see any motivation for us to offer him a contract two years out.

Like what Magpie Ink said he had a cracker of year in the first year of his contract. Cloke's contract year was a down year comparatively (Although after the last 2 years we would have taken it) and I think the contract talks became distracting.

Back