News "Cloke deserved more free kicks"

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally the umpiring department has admitted that Travis Cloke is being treated unfairly.

While we know nothing will change it's nice to hear them admit it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-29/cloke-deserved-more-frees

AFL UMPIRES coach Hayden Kennedy has conceded Collingwood forward Travis Cloke deserved more free kicks during Sunday’s game against Adelaide at the MCG.

Magpies coach Nathan Buckley noted after the game that Cloke had not received any help from the umpires, and the 27-year-old forward said on Monday defenders still got away with more than they should.

Kennedy told Whistleblowers on AFL.com.au on Tuesday that Cloke deserved several free kicks during the contest.

"We know that Travis [Cloke] should have got a couple more free kicks. There were certainly some in the last quarter which we thought he should have been paid," Kennedy said.

The umpires never give big blokes many free kicks. It goes back years. I remember the so-called greatest fullback of all time climbing all over Lockett's back. It was ridiculous then and things will never change

It's a bit late now! Flogs wait till 5 weeks to go in the season to bring the obvious up

The good news that may come out of this is that the umps may pay more attention to Cloke in marking contests.
The bad news is they may also pay more attention to Keeffe and Frost.

To me its the constant wrestling that Trav initiates. If he chose to go for the ball, gets a good initial push off and has decent delivery he'll mark it every time. I mean put it this way - White dropped about 3 absolute gifts that Trav Cloke or even Jamie Elliot would have gobbled up.

However when he elects to wrestle and gets caught up in trying to beat them physically before taking the mark then I understand why he isn't getting paid as many frees as he probably should.

From Auskick through to AFL your priority should always be ball first.

The good news that may come out of this is that the umps may pay more attention to Cloke in marking contests.
The bad news is they may also pay more attention to Keeffe and Frost.
Don't hold your breath. This won't change anything imo.

I wish they had showed that one on the wing where Cloke got tackled mid mark and ended up spilling it which was the worst miss, the crowd went nuts (myself included).
Yes. This one. My blood is still boiling about that one.

Cloke had an absolutely dominant game yet unfortunately it will go down as an average game and a loss at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit late to come out with the "we were wrong" after the fact, it's meaningless rubbish. Cloke cops it week in week out with no protection, and the team as a whole gets reamed by the umpiring so regularly that most of us don't even bat an eyelid these days. Until the standard of umpiring improves across the board and the AFL takes some meaningful action is this area, I couldn't give a stuff what these clowns come up with in their weekly reviews.

Bit late to come out with the "we were wrong" after the fact, it's meaningless rubbish. Cloke cops it week in week out with no protection, and the team as a whole gets reamed by the umpiring so regularly that most of us don't even bat an eyelid these days. Until the standard of umpiring improves across the board and the AFL takes some meaningful action is this area, I couldn't give a stuff what these clowns come up with in their weekly reviews.

Spot On. They say they are wrong but the Umps get no Punishment for it and nothing happens

The worst was the "sorry, we were wrong" after literally, factually, empirically, objectively, costing us the game against Geelong in 2011 when Pendlebury's match winning goal was deemed to not be to our advantage...
And gave Geelong incredible belief for the rest of the year, just saying...

To me its the constant wrestling that Trav initiates. If he chose to go for the ball, gets a good initial push off and has decent delivery he'll mark it every time. I mean put it this way - White dropped about 3 absolute gifts that Trav Cloke or even Jamie Elliot would have gobbled up.

However when he elects to wrestle and gets caught up in trying to beat them physically before taking the mark then I understand why he isn't getting paid as many frees as he probably should.

From Auskick through to AFL your priority should always be ball first.
Oh please, Cloke marks the ball out in front every time when the ball is delivered to him properly, which let's face it is about once a match. The other 15 times each week the ball is lobbed up into the air, or to the disadvantage of Cloke and therefore he has to engage in a wrestle to take back the preferred position.

It's not Cloke's fault we've only got about 2 blokes who can kick it properly to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back