News "Cloke deserved more free kicks"

Remove this Banner Ad

452774790-travis-cloke-of-the-magpies-is-held-in-a-gettyimages.jpg

452773962-travis-cloke-of-the-magpies-marks-the-ball-gettyimages.jpg

Geez AFL, ya reckon?
Nah, just ask some people here. You can see he is clearly trying to wrestle here. :drunk:

So we missed out on three more behinds umps probably doing trav a favour and saving him the embarrassment of missing more set shots.

So we missed out on three more behinds umps probably doing trav a favour and saving him the embarrassment of missing more set shots.
He's kicking a lot better, so much so that the mental demons seem to be gone, which isn't to say he's not missing them at all.

Cloke should try a bit of sucking up to the umpires. his mouthing off every single time doesn't make him endearing to the umps. Should try the under 14s strategy..."good decision ump"...."your on fire today ump". .."you have be to be the grand final umpire". works for Sellwood.

This is what works for Selwood.

giphy.gif

I thought the umpiring was fine tbh. Unless they're talking about last years game against Adelaide
Have to disagree. I've posted elsewhere that to me the umpiring matched the game: low standard, and was far worse than in the Swan's game.
The scragging that Talia was permitted was very Silvagni- like. The free kicks for barging through with the head, not given for most of the year, resurfaced. At least players pinned in the ground weren't holding the ball, and players who pulled it in were.
Overall, I think that umpiring has improved this year, but poorer standard games like ours in recent times , seem to bring out the worst in the umpires too.

I wish they had showed that one on the wing where Cloke got tackled mid mark and ended up spilling it which was the worst miss, the crowd went nuts (myself included).

If I've got the correct one in mind that wasn't the aspect of it that frustrated me. What really hurt was that they generated a goal from the resulting boundary throw in.

It turned an I50 to us into a goal to them...

If I've got the correct one in mind that wasn't the aspect of it that frustrated me. What really hurt was that they generated a goal from the resulting boundary throw in.

It turned an I50 to us into a goal to them...

"But it doesn't have any bearing on the game"....cough splutter.

Probably just a change in the game. Umps are more inclined to pay free kicks in a lead up contest. Chopping the arms, the in the back etc. Cloke isn't the quickest or more athletic so needs the wrestle. He rarely is able to get both arms up at the ball with all the holding and umps are less inclined to pay free kicks in that sort of contest.

Hang on...so it's ok for the umpires to be "against" a particular player? Huh?

No not at all, I am not blaming Cloke at all. I just think the umpires don't like the way he carries on when he gives away free kicks and that affects the umpires decision process when it comes to Cloke.

It's not OK for the umpires to be against a certain player.

The good news that may come out of this is that the umps may pay more attention to Cloke in marking contests.
The bad news is they may also pay more attention to Keeffe and Frost.

What they give with one hand they take away double with the other.

That being said, Keeffe and Frost tend to spoil with hands and already get pinged any time there is the slightest suggestion of a hold.

No not at all, I am not blaming Cloke at all. I just think the umpires don't like the way he carries on when he gives away free kicks and that affects the umpires decision process when it comes to Cloke.

It's not OK for the umpires to be against a certain player.

Notice to all umpires:
It's not Ok for you to treat players differently....and that includes Clokey.....ok?

Anyone who plays on Talia should get more free kicks Jay Schulz should of worn a saddle a few weeks back, Talia is a damn good defender but he gets away with a fair bit if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What also needs to be addressed is our general free kick numbers.

Avg frees for

18th
2013 15th
2014 equal 17th
and 2012, 11, 10, 09, (you get the picture)
You'd have to go back to the Richardson brothers and Pricey to see us in the top 4 of free kicks I reckon.

we're just a dirty side?

What also needs to be addressed is our general free kick numbers.

Avg frees for

18th
2013 15th
2014 equal 17th

In fairness I believe our free kick against numbers are also low. We play a style that isn't conducive to high free kick numbers so I wouldn't concentrate on raw data.

Anyone who plays on Talia should get more free kicks Jay Schulz should of worn a saddle a few weeks back, Talia is a damn good defender but he gets away with a fair bit if you ask me.

Talia is an interesting case because he scrags more than anyone in the game except Glass, but at the same time is an exceptional defender so I would be advising my defenders to emulate what he does because even though it's ugly it's very effective!!

Talia is an interesting case because he scrags more than anyone in the game except Glass, but at the same time is an exceptional defender so I would be advising my defenders to emulate what he does because even though it's ugly it's very effective!!
True if you can get away with it why wouldn't you, I'm pleased he's getting a bit more noticed in the press for it after sundays game though ;)

Cloke gets held lots. Lots of the fullbacks are masters eg Rutten, Glass, Mackenzie, Talia, Lonergan.

When they entwine his arm as they invariably do, he needs to jump rather than wrestle to make it more obvious that he's being held.

Cloke needs to be smarter in this regard, then a few will possibly be paid, then he may stop being held as much.

In fairness I believe our free kick against numbers are also low. We play a style that isn't conducive to high free kick numbers so I wouldn't concentrate on raw data.

Our free kicks against are low but that's because we don't infract knowing we get screwed in umpiring contests. That's why our defenders tend to punch the ball away rather than scrag.

We have been flogged for years in ruck contests. Leigh Brown was absolutely slaughtered by the umpires and Grundy is getting worse if anything. Witts is also leaning the ropes.

The AFL's umpiring system is a complete debacle. It's completely ******* up the great game. I've stopped watching any other games but Collingwoods and its just infuriating me to the point I am about to give up all together.

Here are a couple of others

785443-11c0346a-162f-11e4-8b83-8df6d69c6921.jpg

340049-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

It really was utterly ridiculous.

Happens every week and I see it but the Blind Scumps can’t see it at all and they are lot closer then I am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back