chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Not sure how much interest this will create or how seriously it will be taken but I'm a passionate SANFL and Sturt supporter and follow Subiaco in the WAFL.
With the advent of AFL reserves teams undermining the integrity of both comps is it time that both leagues strengthened ties between each other and between the traditional stand alone clubs?
For example, Sturt and Subiaco currently sit 2nd on respective league ladders, just under AFL reserve teams, let's assume that both clubs play off in the grand final and lose to said AFL reserve team. Would it be worth Sturt and Subiaco playing each other?
Would it be worth starting an inter-league comp that doesn't include AFL affiliated teams?
Our state league clubs have been left behind with the advent of a Victorian based AFL, yet supporters are still passionate and deserve better. I don't think the Foxtel Cup provides this.
My avatar is a photo of a visiting tour of WA Sturt did in August, 1920, they played East Perth, Subiaco and a WA combined team.
If it could be done in 1920 why not now?
Maybe choose a "sister" club and have invitational games against each other. There's many ways to do this and let's face it, our respective Football Commissions aren't doing enough to protect our clubs, so our clubs have to do it for themselves.
I've thought about this for a few years now and would be interested to hear others thoughts.
Cheers.

I have always thought that many years ago after the VFL expanded and became the AFL that the SANFL and WAFL should of joined forces and created the Champions League. I still think it could be done now but it would need some serious support.
The future of the WAFL and the SANFRL is very bleak and unless they become proactive I can't see them being anymore than amateur leagues within 20 years.

If the leagues themselves won't hop on board then what's to stop clubs doing it off their own backs? Costs and sponsorship are obvious limitations but start off small and then try an inter league comp and then talk to Tassie and non affiliated VFL clubs like Port Melb.

What baffles me the most chazwazza is that the Commissions aren't seemingly doing enough. Are their hands tied? Are they restricted by the government in what they can do? I understand the income coming in from the AFL teams is significant, but at what price?

I am very interested in the outcome of the upcoming WAFL review of the alignments, although I think I can already guess the answers. So yes, the clubs themselves need to come up with more answers and different solutions and lobby the commission aggressively.

I think I know the stance of the commissions. Which is why clubs should do it off their own backs if they can manage it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back