C'mon Ed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie McChins said:
Everybody has to have the same opportunity to recruit the players based on the ladder. The draft works. The best football we have ever had was when we finally washed out the benefits that the Brisbane Lions received in the late '90s, and that took about 10 years

Typical Ed. Makes some good points in his latest rant but can't resist a self-interested swipe.

Swans chairman Andrew Pridham has repeatedly backed his club's $1 million-a-year academy, and said it benefits the entire competition.

Yep. Sydney developing players for Sydney to draft is brilliant for my club...

http://maps.sportandrecreationspatial.com.au/map.php#

Play around with that guys - I live in a remote area and get errors when I try to get specific information.

I've read some rather contradictory reports tonight regarding participation rates in NSW and QLD (one commissioned by the AFL but never published....) so more data = better results.

I still don't get why they can't be AFL funded/run academies.

Sure - fine idea. If you want a national competition, then EVERY club must be seen as a desirable location, surely?

Although, a thought occurs to me....

I was of the understanding that growing up supporting and then playing for your local club was about the best thing a footballer could do.

Evidently, I am mistaken.

Geez, I'm in form tonight...

I ALSO see that Eddie mistakes concessions for equality....

Pensioners, watch out! No more concessions on public transport for you, that's unequal!!

I'm not sure how that related to what I posted and I'm not sure the academy is making Brisbane desirable.

Read my following post re: playing for your local club for some context. My error, not yours :)

I still don't get why they can't be AFL funded/run academies.

Spot on, I agree. An easy fix to what is becoming a complex problem.
Eddie is 110% spot on the money with this, the only clubs - and fans - complaining will be those reaping the benefits of these academies, etc.
And before anyone shoots me down about GC academy, I don't agree we should have one either.

Eddie said:
That is to have an uncompromised draft and not to have any of these other elements on the side, whether it's a cost-of-living component, or whether it's zones or whether it's academies, or anything else

As much as I dislike Eddie, he's on the mark with this.

The VFL clubs gave up zones so the competition would be centered around a draft. The academies are basically zones by another name.

I think they are a good idea, but all players should enter the draft regardless of which state they're from - and I don't care who pays for them since the AFL bankrolls the Northern states anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how you chaps proclaim his vision.

You know, many problems arise in societies where one voice drowns out all the rest...history is full of them. The fact the other Melbourne clubs don't voice opposition simply reinforces my view - the competition is nicely divided, every club looking out for their best interests.

Divide and conquer, another lesson from history.

And I ask again - if you are a professional AFL footballer - shouldn't ANY club feel like home?

As much as I dislike Eddie, he's on the mark with this.

The VFL clubs gave up zones so the competition would be centered around a draft. The academies are basically zones by another name.

I think they are a good idea, but all players should enter the draft regardless of which state they're from - and I don't care who pays for them since the AFL bankrolls the Northern states anyway.

The academies are promoted as development centres in expansion markets. Zones =/= Academies, by any stretch.

Furthermore, your last comment is exactly the issue facing the AFL - they prop us up and will continue to do so, until time immemorial. Maybe start with THAT as a basis for "equalisation and fairness".

Re-brand all the expansion clubs as "AFL XXXX" - since they bankroll us anyway. Our success, to this point apparently, is solely due to AFL intervention. Sorry guys, you can't have it both ways. Either you want us in or you want us out. Sadly, the members and fans don't get to decide that, since I think, judging by the boards, you'd prefer us out.

But no, we'd rather look at simple financial year policies rather than effective, long-term strategies.

BTW chaps, let me know when you catch up to the definitions of equality and fairness too.

I'm keen to have that erudite discourse.

The academies are promoted as development centres in expansion markets. Zones =/= Academies, by any stretch.

What were zones, then?

Furthermore, your last comment is exactly the issue facing the AFL - they prop us up and will continue to do so, until time immemorial. Maybe start with THAT as a basis for "equalisation and fairness".

Re-brand all the expansion clubs as "AFL XXXX" - since they bankroll us anyway. Our success, to this point apparently, is solely due to AFL intervention. Sorry guys, you can't have it both ways. Either you want us in or you want us out. Sadly, the members and fans don't get to decide that, since I think, judging by the boards, you'd prefer us out.

But no, we'd rather look at simple financial year policies rather than effective, long-term strategies.

Nice rant, is there a point to it?

The AFL bankroll clubs outside Qld and NSW, too.

What were zones, then?

Nice rant, is there a point to it?

The AFL bankroll clubs outside Qld and NSW, too.

Zones were areas of development for established clubs - not expansion clubs. The differential is immense. Expansion clubs use them both as development AND marketing - traditional Australian rules states need less marketing. Dispute this, and I'll send you to the AFL's PR department for clarity.

The AFL bankrolls every club - and yet we decry the Lions or the Swans winning flags on the back of "concessions"? Maybe Carlton should have dug deeper to lure Voss, or the Pies to chuck an extra 500k at Brown, with their AFL dollars? Surely THAT would be fair and equitable?

Where do you want it stop? I know my vision, and it's likely the same as yours - but the AFL bankrolling clubs isn't the way forward.

Let's just get EVERY CLUB off AFL dollars and see what happens then. Y'know, the market forces that business enterprise likes to suggest is "fair and equal".

I'm up for it. Keen to step to the club to rub a dub?

And still we have no takers on the contextual relevance of "equality" and "fairness" in a "business" market.

Where's Adam Smith when you need him?

Salary cap, draft.

Two equalisation measures which apply to 14 clubs equally, despite no two clubs being created equal.

Two equalisation measures which the remaining 4 clubs want exemptions to, on the basis no two clubs are created equal.

Cool.

Woah, wait a sec.

Equalisation being applied to an unequal environment is your first statement.
Equalisation and extras being applied to an unequal environment is your second.

So, in essence, you're suggesting that some inequality is evident. Is it also the case that the competiton was always this way? If so...what's the problem? There are no degrees of equal or unequal - they are complete definitions.

Either it is equal, or it isn't. Pick one.

Or look at at this way...

Is 1 more or less equal to 2 than it is to 3?

Before you answer, consider this:

The AFL presents a business model and reports in a financial sense. So, given your position, we can say the Lions have 30k members, since that's "roughly equal" to what we have now (c25k), in the effort to wring more advertising money to assist us in off-field development.

Oh wait, I get it...

You're confused over the definitions of "equal" and "fair".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back