Official Club Stuff Coaches box changes + SANFL Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you guys are being a little ungrateful after having been spoonfed ridiculously good news the last year or so regarding the club. Sure, this won't rank as a oh boy wowee this is awesome appointment. However we are still quietly building a team that our excellent upper management feel can do the job.

At least we are filling the roles, which would have been too much to ask a few years back! Don't forget where we have come from.

Aaron Greaves

Chief Executive Officer - Barwon Sports Academy
Talent Transfer Coordinator - Victorian Institute of Sport
Midfield Development Coach - Melbourne Football Club

Aaron Greaves

From searching the "cache" of the Demon Land forum, they are generally more positive about Greaves than all the other assistants. Read that he was able to do something that Royal struggled to do, which was get the players attention. Apparently interviews and talks very well.

No choice but to see how he goes, perhaps coaching a group of players that will actually focus and work hard will help him a lot.

I'm not sure if mentioned elsewhere but in sanfl news, ex homesick port boy Nick Stevens has Bern appointed glenelg coach.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I'm surprised he didn't stay with Gippsland Power or move to an AFL Club as an assistant, coaching an SANFL side would be like a backwards step.

Aaron Greaves has solid coaching background in local footy (like Ken and Richo) and U18 footy.

Aaron Greaves to coach Geelong Falcons

Came to Melbourne as an assistant with a strong reputation from his coaching experience.

Demons add to coaching panel

Topped the goalkicking for St Joseph's in the Geelong Football League in 2005 with 84 goals.

Well rounded experience at Vic Institute of Sport and as a teacher. He might be unknown to us but comes with a strong footy pedigree not unlike Ken, Richo and even Brendan McCartney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be an appointment to come because Rohdey was certainly referencing a coach for the talls on AA last night when he said the ink was still drying on a contract.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-10-25/port-adelaide-signs-new-development-coach

"Former Geelong Falcons coach Aaron Greaves will be reuniting with old colleagues when he joins Port Adelaide’s coaching line-up.

The 35-year-old has been an assistant coach with Melbourne for the past two years and will now move to Alberton to take on a coaching development role.

Greaves will also be responsible for ruck coaching."

Sigh. As good as our off-field signings have been lately, it shits me that we still keep putting line coaches in charge of positions that they've never played in. What are Tyson Edwards and Aaron Greaves supposed to teach Jay Schulz and Matthew Lobbe about playing in KPF or ruck roles?

Sigh. As good as our off-field signings have been lately, it shits me that we still keep putting line coaches in charge of positions that they've never played in. What are Tyson Edwards and Aaron Greaves supposed to teach Jay Schulz and Matthew Lobbe about playing in KPF or ruck roles?
I can only conclude from all of this that Hinkley really must have been keen to move Rehn on. I can't fathom how we couldn't keep him with Walsh coming and then proceeded to lose Healey and relocate Hocking. They obviously see a full time ruck coach as unnecessary.

Agree. Can't help but feel we have lost something in ruck coaching with a switch from Rehn to Greaves. And given the improvement we saw in both Lobbe and Redden last year it feels risky. Time will tell i guess.

Greaves was a 197cm 97kg key forward.

AaronGreaves01.jpg

Here's an old Geelong Addy article from when he was a player.

Aaron Greaves

AT 26, Geelong VFL forward Aaron Greaves is used to people telling him he has missed his boat.
Too old and too slow for the big league, said his doubters, who would be most surprised at the half-forward's red-hot start to the VFL season.
Greaves booted six goals in the Cats' VFL win at the weekend, lifting his total to 11 majors from three games.
Inadvertently, Greaves has become the reserves' early-season spearhead, fulfilling a vision VCFL coach Rodney Eade had almost a year ago.
``The thing I liked most about him other than he was big and strong, kicked long and could take a pack mark, was his work ethic,'' Eade said of his Vic Country centre-half forward.
Aaron Greaves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back