Coaches supplying ice to players in grassroots footy crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

UPDATE: SUBURBAN and bush footballers are using ice as a performance-enhancing substance, with some getting the drug from their coaches, senior police have revealed.

Footballers are putting their lives in danger by using the drug just minutes before they run on to the field in some cases — often feeling “like Superman”.

Abusers are as young as 14 and in some teams, there are as many as nine players on ice, football administrators and police have told the Herald Sun.

Players with heightened levels of aggression are also putting rivals at risk, ending up in tribunals for serious acts like striking, they say.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...d Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

What the * is wrong with these people? o_O

UPDATE: SUBURBAN and bush footballers are using ice as a performance-enhancing substance, with some getting the drug from their coaches, senior police have revealed.

Footballers are putting their lives in danger by using the drug just minutes before they run on to the field in some cases — often feeling “like Superman”.

Abusers are as young as 14 and in some teams, there are as many as nine players on ice, football administrators and police have told the Herald Sun.

Players with heightened levels of aggression are also putting rivals at risk, ending up in tribunals for serious acts like striking, they say.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/coaches-supplying-ice-to-players-in-grassroots-footy-crisis/story-fni0fit3-1227273787839?sv=11253431db9a12dc9f86c9ff106383d&utm_source=Herald Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

What the **** is wrong with these people? o_O

We all know what ICE is doing in the community generally. So it's pretty astounding to hear of its use in a manner such as this. Doesn't exactly surprise me though.

It would be interesting to see some genuine stats on this issue.

How many of these so called "aggressive" players who were reported for striking etc where using ice and other substances.

I have seen a few country and outer suburban football matches and they can become very heated even to the point where the crowd get involved with scuffles and assaults.

For a long time Australia has had the highest youth suicide rate in the world (only being overtaken by NZ recently). We are an affluent nation with an abundance of resources and opportunities and yet our youth take their lives needlessly at an extraordinary rate.

We always look for excuses and simplistic "easy outs". We rarely look deeper at what sort of nation of people we really are. What we stand for. What we don't stand for. How we resolve our past issues. How this nation was founded. Who TF are we and where are we going?

(Alcohol for example kills about 25,000 Australians each year and consumes about 1/3 of our total national budget for health. Smoking is not that far behind at about 18,000 deaths per year and making up about 20% of the Health budget. But, shhhhhh, we must keep Alcohol and tobacco use OFF the table, they are the profit making GOOD stuffs)

2 posts already about Hird and EFC. This should be good, see just how obsessed everyone is
please note, my post (indeed, this thread) has nothing to do with Essendon and/or Hird.

It's about a Coaches duty of care to his players. Now, if you make the connection....

From my point of view the Essendon PED thing has been mainly about hanging s**t on Essendon (I may as well be honest). Yes there are possible health issues regarding untested drugs and I should be more concerned about that than I am.

However, the Ice epidemic really concerns me. I've heard that kids are coming to my local school in ice. This worries me a lot. If footy coaches are giving it to their players they ought to be chucked in jail. People can have their lives ruined by this s**t.

From my point of view the Essendon PED thing has been mainly about hanging s**t on Essendon (I may as well be honest). Yes there are possible health issues regarding untested drugs and I should be more concerned about that than I am.

However, the Ice epidemic really concerns me. I've heard that kids are coming to my local school in ice. This worries me a lot. If footy coaches are giving it to their players they ought to be chucked in jail. People can have their lives ruined by this s**t.

Well if they are injured then thats a good thing.

This article just feels like click bait to me. Its all just hearsay and the usual police scaremongering. Just another day at HeraldSun - drugs, crime and celebrities.

As per Dogs Tackle's post above, the real problems in our society are never going to be talked about because the people with power make too much money off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whole sport is going to s**t. Honestly, how are we meant to sell the game overseas when drug use is so prominent. AFL is the new MLB.
You have to remember, this always went on

These days there is more media coverage, so things get around a lot quicker. Speed was an issue sometime back, now its ice.

This has always happened.

Philip Maguire ‏@MaguidhirP 2h2 hours ago
@ringsau Ice is now a massive problem & ASADA would have served the public better by investigating this rather persecuting Ess for 2 years.

Wow, just wow

Well, yeah. Who needs the police when we have ASADA?

I'm starting to see why Ings isn't running ASADA any more :rolleyes:

Edit: Not Ings fault....my brain didn't turn up to work this morning. Its having a long weekend :oops:

Last edited:
Seriously where on earth has duty of care gone?

I knew of a gang of roof tilers that were on speed everyday, totally hooked but as you would expect very competent.

They were young guys 17 - 25 yrs old, turns out the boss was supplying them the drugs at normal street prices. At the end of the week he would deduct what debt they had racked up, leaving them SFA sometimes.

Very profitable for boss man, supplying 5 guys daily, and as 1 left there was always another willing to join.

This was many moons ago but I can confidently say it still happens today. It is the world we live in, supply and demand.

Philip Maguire ‏@MaguidhirP 2h2 hours ago
@ringsau Ice is now a massive problem & ASADA would have served the public better by investigating this rather persecuting Ess for 2 years.

Wow, just wow

From a Health & Safety perspective he is probably right.

Having seen first hand how quickly Ice can change & destroy a young persons life I have no doubt this drug will have a far greater negative impact than TB4 or AOD in the years to come.

Not sure how that equals Essendon being persecuted though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back