Tall Tales and True

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham Utd,
Can anyone explain why so many coaching moves @ Box Hill this year? Almost nobody left from last year; noting senior coach, Bello, & Academy head, Carroll, remain ... something like 6 newbies. To what extent would Hawthorn be involved in the process? Is it because people moved on, or were they moved on? Can anybody give a bit more info' about the fellas in question - new & old.

Can anyone explain why so many coaching moves @ Box Hill this year? Almost nobody left from last year; noting senior coach, Bello, & Academy head, Carroll, remain ... something like 6 newbies. To what extent would Hawthorn be involved in the process? Is it because people moved on, or were they moved on? Can anybody give a bit more info' about the fellas in question - new & old.

I would be interested to know too. Just a thought: You asked to what extent Hawthorn could be involved, and that makes me think that Box Hill might be considered as a training ground for future coaches. If that were true, I would like to see some former players step up into coaching appointments at Box Hill.

To what extent would Hawthorn be involved in the process? I don't know the answer to this question however I'd think HFC would certainly want to be involved with any coaching appointments since they will have an influence on the development of their players. I do know that most of last years coaches have been appointed to coach their own teams and some have taken on lesser roles at local clubs due to the time demands required at the BHH.

I think the timing was right for some changes and the club will benefit from the new coaches bringing some fresh ideas which is always good to make the pre season training more interesting. I'm positive about the introduction of coaches who were involved at other VFL clubs and at TAC clubs and believe they will assist with the development of the BHH list and add value for the development of the HFC players.

For more info on the coaches go to:
http://boxhillhawks.com.au/coaching-staff.html

I really like the appointment of Paul Kennedy who has had experience at three state league clubs and as a player I admired him as a footy smart hard nut goer who got the maximum out of his ability.

In the past retired AFL players have taken on assistant roles at AFL clubs however I cannot recall any being 'developed' with senior appointments in the VFL. Apart from the senior coach, I don't see the BHH as a training ground for future coaches. I think retired players may have gone straight into senior appointments in the SANFL and WAFL plus the TAC after obtaining the required level of coaching accreditation. I would love to see the likes of Brad Sewell in an assistant role at the BHH but I'd think it's likely retired players would only be interested in a full time appointment post their playing days. Before their appointments Bolts coached in Tasmania, DC in the TAC and Marco in the VFL development league.

Thanks, HH ... always appreciate your insights on the Box Hill front. Didn't anticipate there was anything particularly sinister in the rate of change, but pleased to hear it was pretty much 'natural selection'. Change can, certainly, be a good thing - new ideas and perspectives, as you suggest, particularly with stable leadership from Bello, Carroll et al. Going back to the BHH website, I'm reminded of the decent qualifications each new appointee seems to possess (I can even remember Kennedy from his days with the ol' Double Blues (Sturt FC) over here in Adelaide). Looking forward to hearing about some new recruits soon and then another successful Stangers' season ahead. Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back