Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos already came out this morning and said he's not going anywhere. So it doesn't matter what they do. --a new club probably approaches Clarko every year too. But he hasn't left, and won't leave either. (just as an example in terms of people being approached). The only coach I remember going was Ross Lyon, and that's because he knew Saints were a sinking ship and he was failing. So he walked into a good side, and now all of a sudden he's a 'good coach'. I think, (personally), that he's overrated. But... what would I know. xD

Yep, and there was also an option in his contract to whether he would coach the final year of his contract. Freo offered him a shitload, which also helped. Terminated Harvey's contract without and care in the world and who could blame them.

Oh, bring me back the days of Mark Harvey as a head coach, the most cringe worthy media conferences and responses to completely fair and reasonable questioning of himself and his team that i have ever seen.

Lets take a trip back down memory lane to Mark Harvey, Fremantle coach, 'On the Couch' after letting slip a 50 point half time lead to Melbourne, you will either look away cringing or be laughing your arse off *spoiler alert*

Last edited:
Roos already came out this morning and said he's not going anywhere. So it doesn't matter what they do. --a new club probably approaches Clarko every year too. But he hasn't left, and won't leave either. (just as an example in terms of people being approached). The only coach I remember going was Ross Lyon, and that's because he knew Saints were a sinking ship and he was failing. So he walked into a good side, and now all of a sudden he's a 'good coach'. I think, (personally), that he's overrated. But... what would I know. xD

Ross also had a million a year offer from Freo coupled with a couple of big investments of his losing all value.

This team is being groomed for Goodwin and has a clear path. Whilst going home would have to count for something for him, with Adelaide I am not so sure it would be as attractive to step right into it and take over. I don't see much success coming to Adelaide over the next couple of years though, and I don't see him being able to ride that out, without getting the sack. Fans are so fickle with coaches after all.

If it does happen, Melbourne needs to swing it that Adelaide pays 80+ percent of the wages of our replacement coach.

The only reason we let Goodwin walk is if he has failed to impress so far as Roos' understudy. We can't be playing the charity game just because Adelaide suffered a tragedy. If he's good, we keep him.

The only reason we let Goodwin walk is if he has failed to impress so far as Roos' understudy. We can't be playing the charity game just because Adelaide suffered a tragedy. If he's good, we keep him.

And all the talk is that the club are rapt with his contributions to date. Can't see him going anywhere.

Yep, and there was also an option in his contract to whether he would coach the final year of his contract. Freo offered him a shitload, which also helped. Terminated Harvey's contract without and care in the world and who could blame them.

Oh, bring me back the days of Mark Harvey as a head coach, the most cringe worthy media conferences and responses to completely fair and reasonable questioning of himself and his team that i have ever seen.

Lets take a trip back down memory lane to Mark Harvey, Fremantle coach, 'On the Couch' after letting slip a 50 point half time lead to Melbourne, you will either look away cringing or be laughing your arse off *spoiler alert*

Random bump but I just watched that Mark Harvey thing, god that was bad.

**** Goodwin, he can ship out too.

Had two shots to use his intell against essendon this year and failed on both occasions. Tyson has gone backwards at a furious rate under him and the midfield in general is not improving.

On top of that, how is he supposed to communicate with the players when the bloke can't even speak properly? maybe that's why he's not getting through.

Terminate Roos and Goodwins contracts and go grab a hawthorn assistant. In fact, grab the hawthorn bootstudder, couldn't possibly do any worse.

I'm going to throw an olive branch to the Roos supporters and say that the has done some good things and acknowledge that he has improved our list and culture (to a degree).

The problem though is what he hasn't done and our current footy speaks volumes. Basing our gameplan around defence hasn't tought us how to defend better. It has taught us how not to attack. It has been the most naive, counterproductive approach to what is a very simple notion. Learn to play footy. How a team of AFL players could be so inept at football basics is beyond me. Yes we have rebuilt but we've been in a holding pattern and Roos has brought in 22 new players who have been under utilised.

The question I ask is this. What on earth is Roos going to achieve after 3 years at the helm that he hasn't already achieved in 2 years?

It is quite clear that his ethos on footy belongs back in 2005. Every time I see Simon Goodwin interviewed he talks about how we can and need to score better. The guy is relevant to the modern game and quite frankly looks frustrated.

Goodwin has to take over at the end of this year. Roos is very important to the club but he is better served as a coaching director.

hilarious

**** Goodwin, he can ship out too.

Had two shots to use his intell against essendon this year and failed on both occasions. Tyson has gone backwards at a furious rate under him and the midfield in general is not improving.

On top of that, how is he supposed to communicate with the players when the bloke can't even speak properly? maybe that's why he's not getting through.

Terminate Roos and Goodwins contracts and go grab a hawthorn assistant. In fact, grab the hawthorn bootstudder, couldn't possibly do any worse.
We didn't need "intell" to beat Essendon. We just needed a well drilled team who didn't resemble a country amo side.

I'm going to throw an olive branch to the Roos supporters and say that the has done some good things and acknowledge that he has improved our list and culture (to a degree).

The problem though is what he hasn't done and our current footy speaks volumes. Basing our gameplan around defence hasn't tought us how to defend better. It has taught us how not to attack. It has been the most naive, counterproductive approach to what is a very simple notion. Learn to play footy. How a team of AFL players could be so inept at football basics is beyond me. Yes we have rebuilt but we've been in a holding pattern and Roos has brought in 22 new players who have been under utilised.

The question I ask is this. What on earth is Roos going to achieve after 3 years at the helm that he hasn't already achieved in 2 years?

It is quite clear that his ethos on footy belongs back in 2005. Every time I see Simon Goodwin interviewed he talks about how we can and need to score better. The guy is relevant to the modern game and quite frankly looks frustrated.

Goodwin has to take over at the end of this year. Roos is very important to the club but he is better served as a coaching director.
Yep Roo's is good for the club with culture and devlopment, but the game has surpassed him

I strongly disagreed with this opinion before this match, and maybe its still the heat of the loss but your spot on
We arent showing any signs of improving our attack, even the win against Geelong was long bombs forward down the line and us taking contested marks

The side looks so structured that it doesnt play with any fun, instead of backing in our players to win the ball and damage the other side its all about mitigating the damage to us and trying to scrap goals at the other end
Its actually degenerated into Neeld style footy the last few weeks but with better players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I strongly disagreed with this opinion before this match, and maybe its still the heat of the loss but your spot on
We arent showing any signs of improving our attack, even the win against Geelong was long bombs forward down the line and us taking contested marks

The side looks so structured that it doesnt play with any fun, instead of backing in our players to win the ball and damage the other side its all about mitigating the damage to us and trying to scrap goals at the other end
Its actually degenerated into Neeld style footy the last few weeks but with better players
When we get the ball the amount of hesitation is astounding. They just aren't drilled. There's no understanding between players, no fluent movement or moving to position for the receive. We should be able to move the footy without even thinking about it. The Saints players today knew what they were going to do as soon as they got the footy, our guys had nfi and just improvised. That's training pure and simple.

When we get the ball the amount of hesitation is astounding. They just aren't drilled. There's no understanding between players, no fluent movement or moving to position for the receive. We should be able to move the footy without even thinking about it. The Saints players today knew what they were going to do as soon as they got the footy, our guys had nfi and just improvised. That's training pure and simple.

Something extremely simple I noticed during the game

Melbourne player marks the ball in the D50, chips it to the pocket... Said player looks up and the Saints players are 5m boundary side of our blokes forcing us to take a dangerous kick in board and meaning a turnover is far more damaging and dangerous... Plus they know we cant kick for s**t so they are just waiting for the error

Then you swap the scenario to when the saints had it in their defensive 50
Saints player looks up and the melbourne player is defending 5m towards the centre of the ground trying to take the centre corridor out of the equation and make it harder to score
Saints are able to move the ball down the wing and get it inside 50 under little pressure because even if they turn it over on the wing its hard to generate a score from there

We are fundamentally playing it wrong, Modern footy is all about scoring from turnovers in the forward half, yet we are still trying to absorb pressure in our back half which is what sides want us to do

Something extremely simple I noticed during the game

Melbourne player marks the ball in the D50, chips it to the pocket... Said player looks up and the Saints players are 5m boundary side of our blokes forcing us to take a dangerous kick in board and meaning a turnover is far more damaging and dangerous... Plus they know we cant kick for s**t so they are just waiting for the error

Then you swap the scenario to when the saints had it in their defensive 50
Saints player looks up and the melbourne player is defending 5m towards the centre of the ground trying to take the centre corridor out of the equation and make it harder to score
Saints are able to move the ball down the wing and get it inside 50 under little pressure because even if they turn it over on the wing its hard to generate a score from there

We are fundamentally playing it wrong, Modern footy is all about scoring from turnovers in the forward half, yet we are still trying to absorb pressure in our back half which is what sides want us to do
Definitely out-coached today. They got it way too easily out of defense and their spread was automatic and ours was sluggish and reactive.

Definitely out-coached today. They got it way too easily out of defense and their spread was automatic and ours was sluggish and reactive.

Its so basic though, I get what we were trying to achieve last year and that was too be competitive and accountable
Weve done that, what were we trying to achieve today?

We look like a 4th division soccer team playing manchester united, we wont try and outplay them but rather degenerate the game into a slug and try and sneak one on the counter attack

Its so basic though, I get what we were trying to achieve last year and that was too be competitive and accountable
Weve done that, what were we trying to achieve today?

We look like a 4th division soccer team playing manchester united, we wont try and outplay them but rather degenerate the game into a slug and try and sneak one on the counter attack
We definitely needed to tighten it up last year and at periods throughout the game gain control of the tempo. Roos was right in that regard but it was ridiculously one dimensional. The kicking backwards and switching of the footy for no other reason than to put off forward movement has really stunted the attacking instinct and ability of the group. The second half of last year was very hard to watch but many of us buttoned our lips because at least the big losing margins had been stemmed even though it was apparent that our last 10 games were a wasted opportunity.

Pre-season was going to be all the more critical though and we just had to smash it with everything we had regarding logical, attacking ball movement. It just hasn't been good enough.

We definitely needed to tighten it up last year and at periods throughout the game gain control of the tempo. Roos was right in that regard but it was ridiculously one dimensional. The kicking backwards and switching of the footy for no other reason than to put off forward movement has really stunted the attacking instinct and ability of the group. The second half of last year was very hard to watch but many of us buttoned our lips because at least the big losing margins had been stemmed even though it was apparent that our last 10 games were a wasted opportunity.

Pre-season was going to be all the more critical though and we just had to smash it with everything we had regarding logical, attacking ball movement. It just hasn't been good enough.

The media pressure hasnt been anywhere near roos thanks to Carlton and Essendon
This week he deserves to be under the blowtorch

Watched the Bulldogs vs Pies, the dogs ball movement is years infront of ours, they look like a gelled unit who attack in waves
We seem to attack in small groups

Since the Geelong match Melbourne's average score is 56.5 very hard to win with that average. The overall average is still only 70. Leigh Mathews made a good point all this chipping the ball backwards achieves is that it allows the opposition team more time to set up defensively. Hawthorn rarely go backwards that's why they've won the last two premierships. Don't have the foot skills, then learn to.

The media pressure hasnt been anywhere near roos thanks to Carlton and Essendon
This week he deserves to be under the blowtorch

Watched the Bulldogs vs Pies, the dogs ball movement is years infront of ours, they look like a gelled unit who attack in waves
We seem to attack in small groups
Dogs look a lot fitter and stronger too. Questions have to be asked of our club off field.

Dogs look a lot fitter and stronger too. Questions have to be asked of our club off field.

The other question has to be asked of Roos directly

Tyson, Jones, McDonald, Garland, Dawes, Lumumba and a host of others arent in good form
You cant carry half a side thats out of form

Time for some armchair coaching observations...
Roos very obviously believes that premiership sides are built around a solid defence. FWIW (* all) I agree with this philosophy. He takes this to the nth degree by playing an 18 man press in front of the opposition ball carrier. It makes for a scrappy game because, unless the opposition can run the ball through the press, or kick like ******* hawthorn, it's going to be lots of contests. Problem is when we eventually get the ball back we have No one ahead to kick too. Hence the sideway kicks. We hardly ever get cheap slingshot goals because we don't have anyone ahead of the ball.
I would love for us to keep Jeffy and Hogan always on our half of the ground. And for some of our guys to try and run the ball. Garlett, Watts, McDonald, Garland are all meant to be quick but when do you ever see any of them cut a defence up with a running bounce through the middle?
Can't be much fun playing to this game style either. No flair, no offence, no instinctive ball movement. No fun.

I disagree entirely with a philosophy that relies on being second to the ball.

If you focus on defence, you are not focussing on attack and if you are not focusing on attack you are not focusing on winning the ball.

I'm done with Paul Roos and I don't like Goodwin. How depressing is that, not only do I dislike the current coach , I hate his successor too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back