Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, was thinking this exactly. Even the younger talented guys getting picked each week might start thinking things were a bit s**t if they see hacks like Dawes and Labimbanba, and old favorites like Garland et al, getting picked week in week out, while other guys perform at Casey or are in and out every other week.

It's bullshit favoritism that really breeds disharmony in the team.

Rubbish - who is playing well at Casey that we honestly want in our team?

Rubbish - who is playing well at Casey that we honestly want in our team?
Despite having defended Dawes and Lamumba up until recently, I'd have both of them out for just about anyone.

As for "that we would want in the team?" - that's irrelevant within the perspective I'm trying to present. Good performances at Casey were going to be rewarded and the inseparable flip side of that is that s**t senior team performances get called out and players dropped. Especially senior players.

Why is that rubbish? Didn't Roos state early on that teams would be selected in merit?

Despite having defended Dawes and Lamumba up until recently, I'd have both of them out for just about anyone.

As for "that we would want in the team?" - that's irrelevant within the perspective I'm trying to present. Good performances at Casey were going to be rewarded and the inseparable flip side of that is that s**t senior team performances get called out and players dropped. Especially senior players.

Why is that rubbish? Didn't Roos state early on that teams would be selected in merit?

Like it or not - Lumumba and Dawes (as examples) are proven AFL players.

Replacing them with guys (for their position) like Terlich and Fitzpatrick, who IMO we know aren't up to it, isn't going to solve anything.

Not sure if anyone else notices this, but from the Casey games I've watched, the same type of drop offs occur where we will get our pants pulled down for long stretches then come out and be unbeatable. Seems to be the games we win even in the 2nds are dictated by the same problems as the seniors.

Out: Dave Misson and paleo diet
In: Matt Preston and carb loading

Definitely agree we have to lose Misson. Something needs to change with our fitness. Didn't they all come out and say they got smashed in the off season? Was the hardest pre season most have ever done? So I'm not even sure it's Misson's fault. I just think our players are lazy and have no idea on what it takes to run out an entire game. We have to try something though. Too many injuries and we look less fit than most teams in the comp.

As for Roos, I feel sorry for him in a small way. I know he's earning massive coin thanks to the AFL, but geez his coaching status has taken a hit with us. I don't think he felt this was going to be an easy job, but I'm sure he didn't realise just how hard it would be to turn these monkey's into AFL standard players. I think he has brought more professionalism to the club, no doubt. More media, more sponsors, so I thank him for that. But the way he has us playing football is not entertaining at all, and his message clearly isn't getting through to the playing group. Yes, 2 thirds of our list aren't good enough at this level, but it doesn't excuse lack of effort in so many games this season. Don't need to be skilled to tackle, run hard, chase and do the 1 percenters. So I'm seriously doubting Roos' ability to get the players up. His selections have been poor most weeks also. Too many talls in some games. Not having the balls to drop Lumumba or Dawes when needed to make a statement. Dishing out the same lines after a loss about past ghosts haunting the players. Simon Goodwin will at least have a core of really good young players. Whether his message gets through is another thing.

Roos on 360, same old deflections and generally being a politician. Apparently fan emails are negative and the whole club is too negative. No s**t it was negative, your team made Carlton look like Hawthorn. I'm not for the idea of changing the plan but ffs man some ownership of that turd we layed on the G Sunday would be good.

Roos on 360, same old deflections and generally being a politician. Apparently fan emails are negative and the whole club is too negative. No s**t it was negative, your team made Carlton look like Hawthorn. I'm not for the idea of changing the plan but ffs man some ownership of that turd we layed on the G Sunday would be good.
wat?

Didn't deflect at all, even went into the fact that the fans saying losses don't hurt him is bullshit. He was saying whatever it is is systematic, that he's been there long enough that he can't blame the previous coaches. The bloke can't win, says what he thinks and he's deflecting, says nothing and he's not invested in the club. Frank me drunk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also in his press conference he absoloutely took the blame that he hasnt improved our worst, he said also that he isnt blaming the past anymore and the coaching group has made this their own

But he refused to blame the loss on the events of the past, adamant that would not be a focus of his coaching panel in the team's review.

"I don't really care … to be honest," Roos said in response to a question about whether the players were still haunted by past losses.

"It's about performance. We've got to improve our performance as a footy club.

"Whilst I was sympathetic to the footy club and where it's been, the coaching group's been here long enough to not worry about what happened in the past.

"It's more about where we want to go and the direction we want to take the football club."

And another thing: right now we don't appear to have the resources (mental, physical, financial) to pull ourselves out of it.
I've been trying for a while to find Brendon Gale's speech (or at least the gist of it) to the Richmond board about the death spiral.

Something like poor off-field > poor on-field > disenfranchised club > poor off-field > poor on-field etc.

We might have gotten ourselves sorted for the moment off-field (thanks PJ). But if that doesn't translate to on-field success soon then we can't extricate ourselves from the loop.

So it goes.

And another thing: right now we don't appear to have the resources (mental, physical, financial) to pull ourselves out of it.
I've been trying for a while to find Brendon Gale's speech (or at least the gist of it) to the Richmond board about the death spiral.

Something like poor off-field > poor on-field > disenfranchised club > poor off-field > poor on-field etc.

We might have gotten ourselves sorted for the moment off-field (thanks PJ). But if that doesn't translate to on-field success soon then we can't extricate ourselves from the loop.

So it goes.

I know this isn't the gist of your post but, I'm pretty sure we had the resources to beat Carlton. Yet we still lost in pathetic style, even for us. The fact is there are no excuses for what happened on the weekend. The reason we lost however, is purely player effort, or lack there of. And there is no excuse for that.

I thought it was the first time since Roos has arrived that he took full responsibility for the result. He had to at some point. Can only blame the past for so long. New bunch of players(mainly), coaches(mainly) and new board(mainly). In the win/loss column we are improving. Ever so slowly. 2 wins, then 4 wins now 6 wins. But for most of us, it isn't quick enough. Especially when we are paying a coach so much $$ and we have been so bad for so long. We finally get a 'name' to our club, and most of us(including me) expect him to fix this fragile club overnight.

I think Roos has had to break down the culture from the past and try and implement a new one, Which is bloody tough to do, especially when a club has been so poor for so long. We need patience, but most of us don't have it. We want massive improvement and we want it now. We can see the expansion clubs flying past us, and clubs like Hawthorn, Sydney, Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood just getting further and further ahead on and off the field. It is hard to see or believe us ever matching it with those clubs again on or off the field. And the players feel that too. They have to. That's why players like Frawley, Rivers, Clark, Scully etc wanted out. Make no mistake, Roos(and Goodwin) has the toughest job in football. Reality is, if we win 8 games next year, will anyone here be happy with that?? Probably not. Because we crave immediate success. The issue for me is that our bad, still horrible. Our good has gotten better. But we still have games, quarters where we get absolutely bent over. And that isn't good enough. I'm prepared to cut him some slack if by the end of next season we show consistent effort in most games. Every team have off weeks throughout the season. We have off quarters that destroy us. That has to be improved.

As for people sending him emails and questioning his commitment? Poor form after the guy literally just came out and said he wants to talk to Jackson about staying on in some capacity. Have a go at him about his gameplan or lack of ability to get the players motivated, not his commitment to the club after saying he's open to staying long term.

That isn't really true, our injury list has been fantastic this year. Casey has been 90% MFC players for most of the year.

It feels like a lot. Salem, Kent, Viney, Pederson, Vandenberg, Trengove, Petracca, Tyson, Grimes, Jetta and Frost have all had extended stints on the injury list. I'd argue that is close to half our best 22 have missed a fair chunk of footy this year.

That's true, however Petracca, Grimes, Viney, Pedersen, Frost and Jetta were all unavoidable 'bad luck' injuries like bone breaks, ACLs and concussion.

I totally agree that our fitness sucks, but this year under Misson we've had minimal soft tissues.

Injuries are a cop out. The good teams are able to get a consistent level of 'effort' from whoever comes into the side. We might've lost against Carlton anyway (i doubt it), but if we could've seen the players laying fierce tackles, supporting their teammates with blocks, shepherds, etc going hard at the football, hard running.. then we couldn't really criticize them.

The fact is that they clearly didn't care, and this has been a recurring theme for too long.

Pretty much. We've been s**t for so long that we just assume it must be our turn for success. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
Exactly. People talk about the AFL like its just some wheel you spin and then it's your turn to win a premiership. Couldn't be further from the truth. As much as our club is moving forward, other teams are doing the same things. They're also putting who they think are the right people in the right places and drafting, having great preseasons. No one is standing still while our club tries to get it's s**t together.

Exactly. People talk about the AFL like its just some wheel you spin and then it's your turn to win a premiership. Couldn't be further from the truth. As much as our club is moving forward, other teams are doing the same things. They're also putting who they think are the right people in the right places and drafting, having great preseasons. No one is standing still while our club tries to get it's s**t together.
Hmmm except for the players in the first quarter on Sunday and during the other similar quarters and halves during recent weeks. Which is the point.

Nobody really expects for our turn to just come and for it to be a premiership bonanza.

What people expect is for the players that get paid amazing money to show up and put in effort every week, every quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back