Coaching Roundabout - Coaching structure for 2015 finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what the doggies are thinking.. but good for them. Bomber probably would have wanted too much effort anyway...

Not sure what the doggies are thinking.. but good for them. Bomber probably would have wanted too much effort anyway...
Why have a coach whose starting to settle in?! Get rid of him for an untried coach immediately!

Oh s**t our captain is pretty good to better off him for a near rookie, yes let's do that!

Can we please, please! Stay down the bottom of the ladder!

Actual thought.. More too end picks = super team

Enjoy my random rambling thoughts Rines.

Essendon could cover Mark Thompson's AFL fine

Caroline Wilson
November 20, 2014 - 6:24PM

A further twist in Mark Thompson's turbulent relationship with Essendon could see the club agree to cover the $30,000 unpaid fine that has put the 2014 Bombers' coach at odds with the AFL.

In a frank discussion with Gillon McLachlan on Wednesday Thompson has assured the league chief that he will honour his penalty, handed down as part of Essendon's 2012 governance and welfare failings.

That assurance means Thompson will avoid punishment from the AFL Commission meeting in Perth over Thursday and Friday. The commission had the right to not only ban the dual premiership coach from working in the football industry, but also to block Thompson from attending AFL games.

This would have prevented him from expanding his media work in 2015. Shown the door by Essendon chairman Paul Little last week, Thompson, already contributing to Fox Footy, has engaged Elite Sports Properties' Craig Kelly and is in negotiations with 3AW to play a key role in the radio network's football coverage. He is believed to be fielding a number of media offers.

Essendon is believed to have given some ground on its previous assurance it would not help Thompson with his AFL fine. As the 2014 senior coach negotiates his messy exit from the Bombers, the club he captained to the 1993 premiership, Fairfax Media believes he could also push for a small settlement given the nature and the timing of his removal.

Little told Thompson he had no job at the club some six weeks after virtually offering him the senior coaching role. Thompson publicly put his hand up for the job at Essendon's Crichton Medal count in the belief that James Hird would be removed as coach.

Deeply upset at being singled out and fined by the AFL and also at being let go by Essendon on the eve of the 2015 pre-season, Thompson now has legal representatives in negotiations with Essendon's lawyers. They will argue that the Bombers left him little time to move to another club.

Thompson has told friends he regrets agreeing to the AFL penalty, which he claims to have signed under duress. Fairfax Media expects him to request an opportunity to put his case to McLachlan and chairman Mike Fitzpatrick after the fine has been paid, in a bid to set the record straight and clear his reputation.

Consistent evidence from the ASADA investigation last year recorded that Thompson never encouraged the potentially dangerous and allegedly illegal injecting regime and on two occasions fought to prevent it.

The AFL has accepted the payment could now be further delayed while the issue of who will accept responsibility for the $30,000 is resolved.

Essendon was fined $2 million for bringing the game into disrepute and paid Hird an estimated $700,000 while he was on sabbatical, banned from working in football. It recently settled on $1 million with former high performance boss Dean Robinson, as well as covering his six-figure wage for close to six months after he was stood down. The club's legal bills to date have been conservatively estimated at $1 million.

* In other news, outgoing 3AW sport boss Mark Kleiman has returned to player management, joining Kelly's Elite Sports Properties management group.

The one-time Western Bulldogs and Collingwood team manager previously worked for Alastair Lynch's Velocity Sports.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-mark-thompsons-afl-fine-20141120-11ql25.html

finally found this post so i can make my joke now

afl: if you don't pay this fine we will prevent you from working at any AFL club and we'll also probably have discussions with our broadcast partners over any position you may have or wish to have with them.
thompson: lol i just embrassed you so hard n00b

essendon: oh noes

Did I miss something.. when did we 'sack' Thompson??? His contract wasn't renewed.. and a new role wasn't made for him.. I fail to see how that is sacking him..

The sacking analogy is wrong, though I can understand the tooing and froing with Hird , left Thompson ( partly his fault ) with a lack of time to field alternative offers. Some could argue Bomba deserves some type of compensation, though he was massively overpaid in his first three years. The swings and roundaouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I miss something.. when did we 'sack' Thompson??? His contract wasn't renewed.. and a new role wasn't made for him.. I fail to see how that is sacking him..

He may not have been sacked but he was shafted by the club by making him the face of the "knife Hird" campaign. I think he deserves something back from the club.
The bloke was told Hird was gone and probably thought he could be the man to help the club get through what would have been awful news (both for the fans and also for himself having rediscovered his passion).
The club then does a backflip and hangs onto Hird, saving one great by shafting another.

I feel bad for the bloke. Yes i want Hird as coach but the club stuffed up here, Bomber should be working with us next year. Another item in a long list of things that this club has dropped the ball on.

I know some people "love this club" and that the club is everything, but it really is (for me anyway) about the people that make up the club. If we continually are pushing out good people and making some incredibly stupid decisions I can see the logic from some that walking away from this organisation is an ok thing.
People bag them and call them bandwagoners, or weak for not sticking fat, but continually following an organisation/individual that is taking actions that you dont agree with, isnt weak, in fact if you dont believe in what something/someone is doing, following it and them is the height of weakness. Because you dont have the courage to challenge this idea that you "need to follow them" .
Basically I dont see how you can continue to support something that you dont believe in.
Its why the Hird/Thompson debate has been so stong here, we have many people who are strong enough to stand up and say that they arent following this person because their actions dont fit with my beliefs. Its a good thing that we have people like this, the bad thing is people trying to belittle or change that persons opinions because it doesnt fit with their own.

(This topic can be applied to Hirds Actions for some, Thompsons Actions, The AFL's and Essendon's)

The sacking analogy is wrong, though I can understand the tooing and froing with Hird , left Thompson ( partly his fault ) with a lack of time to field alternative offers. Some could argue Bomba deserves some type of compensation, though he was massively overpaid in his first three years. The swings and roundaouts.

I think he deserves compensation for the way it was handled, maybe not in any renumeration but the club should pay his fine. Frankly im surprised they didnt anyway.

I just don't understand why Bomber thought he had to throw his hat into the ring for Hird's job so quickly. He was always going to be the next in line so it wouldn't have hurt to let the dust settle on Jimmy and then take it from there. Pay the 30k for him as I wouldn't like to see Bomber hit hard times over this :rolleyes: and lets move on from him.

He didn't need to do it so quickly, that was Bomber's error. But I think Mercurial89 is right- I have no doubt some at the club (who knows who exactly) did lead him to believe Hird was gone.

So I understand in that context why Bomber feels sidelined. If the fine must be paid, I hope the club pays it for him. 30k is small change for them.

I still think it's a damn shame he's not at the club, but we move on.

I just don't understand why Bomber thought he had to throw his hat into the ring for Hird's job so quickly. He was always going to be the next in line so it wouldn't have hurt to let the dust settle on Jimmy and then take it from there. Pay the 30k for him as I wouldn't like to see Bomber hit hard times over this :rolleyes: and lets move on from him.

Do you remember what it was like when Hird had "been sacked"?

It was chaos, the members were calling the club wanting to know what was going on, and the coach wasnt even at the bloody count. Im sure Bomber was trying to help by offering the members some positive news to cushion the blow that if we lost Hirdy he would be there. Of course it would have been also a bit self serving because he wants to coach again by the sounds of things but that owuldnt have been the main reason, and hes only Human.

He did the ebst he could in a horrible situation not of his own making and then was promptly destroyed for it.

The only chain of events that makes any sense is Hird was going to be sacked, Bomber was told this, then Hird threatened legal action. Now he's being portrayed as 'erratic' etc.
I seem to remember someone else who was 'erratic', and he coached the club for 25+ years, helping to deliver 4 flags.
It's bad enough that Thompson's not going to remain as Senior Coach, but to not even be at the club is terrible.

The only chain of events that makes any sense is Hird was going to be sacked, Bomber was told this, then Hird threatened legal action. Now he's being portrayed as 'erratic' etc.
I seem to remember someone else who was 'erratic', and he coached the club for 25+ years, helping to deliver 4 flags.
It's bad enough that Thompson's not going to remain as Senior Coach, but to not even be at the club is terrible.

You can bet Bomber will come a knocking if Hird is removed sometime next season.

Is this the same Neil Craig who went to the university of Charlie Watts? The same guy who told a guy I know how to use roids and get away with it?
Who cares what Uni he went to. And that's 2nd hand information at best. How do I know you're not making s**t up because you're not a fan of Craig? Fact is we screwed up badly. Guess what we did after? Get one of the most respected men in the AFL with this background, to do the job that we needed someone to do in 2012.

I for one am extremely happy we have him at the EFC

Who cares what Uni he went to. And that's 2nd hand information at best. How do I know you're not making s**t up because you're not a fan of Craig? Fact is we screwed up badly. Guess what we did after? Get one of the most respected men in the AFL with this background, to do the job that we needed someone to do in 2012.

I for one am extremely happy we have him at the EFC

It's first hand information to me. We screwed up by having two guys as head of department with roles over lapping. We also screwed up by letting Dank purchase the supplements. However, our "governance" was actually quite good in comparison to most.

I'm disappointed that it has ended this way.. with confusion, angst and now (imho) some BS rumours about some serious health issues.

I was disappointed about his speech and gutted about what that would mean for our club. It was always my preference through the year that Bomber would step back into a key developmental role and continue to support Hird as Senior Coach. It is sad that circumstances have meant this can't happen.

It is very disappointing that an EFC great, a fantastic coach and someone with such an amazing record has been lost and we didn't get a chance to say a proper good bye. I believe he deserved more.

I wonder if Thompson had his time again whether he would do things differently...

With Chappy signed now.. it looks like our coaching and list are finalised for next year, bar the two recruits and rookie list.

I feel for Bomber regards that speech because he was undoubtedly told that Hird was gone. It had obviously gotten to the point that AFL house was informed, otherwise how did Caro know. Thompson carries the can for that but for mine Little is responsible and Watson also goaded him into it. I think Bomber was just putting his hand up for what he thought was a vacant position. I also think he was glad Hird was going the litigious route as Thompson was clearly angry with the way it was panning out in public opinion land and he hoped that Hird would land a few blows.

I think the only thing he should have done differently was get on the phone to Hird and explain that he only put his hand up because he was told it was vacant and was still 100% with him if he got the role.

As to the "crazy bomber" stuff. That is just a crock of s**t. Bomber is a ciggie smoker and when he does a whole game in the box and in the rooms he hasn't had a smoke for a few hours. By the time he's gets to the press conference he absolutely hanging and like all coaches he's riding high emotion at the end of the game. Part of their job is to conceal that and try to deflect confidence sapping criticism of the players. As he was already jumpy it was easy for him to play the clown as a deflection.

Also the years of pressure due to this saga will get to him. He also privately expresses regret to ex-team mates about being the suggester re Robinson. Also coming into the role in a one year gig would have had weird feelings, probably a bit like sleeping with the ex when you know there is no real chance of reconciliation.

However, the rumours about him ever since are just nutty. Schizophrenia is bad enough but the other day someone told me, with a straight face, that Bomber is addicted to ice!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back