Opinion Speculation over - Eade Coach

Who will be our next Coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratten did very well with an ordinary list. I wouldn't be adverse to getting him. He got them playing a couple of games into September.

Mick, the 'Coaching God' of the landscape, has taken the same list and instead of taking them to the Granny, has got them missing finals.

Ratten did very well with an ordinary list. I wouldn't be adverse to getting him. He got them playing a couple of games into September.

Mick, the 'Coaching God' of the landscape, has taken the same list and instead of taking them to the Granny, has got them missing finals.
hard gig.. half of them were playing vfl to be fair, mick is just cleaning out what is no good and getting the right cattle in..

hard gig.. half of them were playing vfl to be fair, mick is just cleaning out what is no good and getting the right cattle in..
Yes, but the point remains is that he really struggled with a list identical, or close to what Ratten had.

I don't think the list was identical. Ratten had a firing Scotland, Carrazzo and a couple other mids in far better form than they are now.

I don't think the list was identical. Ratten had a firing Scotland, Carrazzo and a couple other mids in far better form than they are now.
Perhaps not now, but it was pretty close when Malthouse took over.

Granted guys like Carazzo and Scotland have gone downhill with age, but guys like Simpson have entered AA form, as well as Murphy and Gibbs entering their physical prime. It balances out pretty well.

Meh, just my opinion really. ;) I thought the list Ratten had wasn't super awesome and he did very well with it.

I agree it wasn't a super awesome list I just think it wasn't identical :p

Bolton still favourite.

Granted guys like Carazzo and Scotland have gone downhill with age, but guys like Simpson have entered AA form, as well as Murphy and Gibbs entering their physical prime. It balances out pretty well.

Meh, just my opinion really. ;) I thought the list Ratten had wasn't super awesome and he did very well with it.
i thought he was stiff to go, but it was like harvey at freo, if there is a better coach out there.. grab them

Kinda sorta, but not really.

Ratts did do pretty well and had a pretty good run at it.
The list wasn't too bad really but under performed to the potential (considering the high draft picks and Juddy in the team). They improved under Ratts but started to stagnate in the development and when they missed the finals (thanks to the Suns) the club and a large portion of the supporters thought it was time for a fresh approach. The general consensus was that he was a one trick pony who didn't have a plan B & C when things weren't going the Blues way in a game (ie. wasn't able to make changes to the game plan or player moves to stop the other teams momentum). I personally agreed with this view because it happened over and over again. That said, I loved Ratts the player and the man and he is a legend at the club.

The supporter group was largely divided however and it put a lot of people odd side when he was dumped and a lot of those people are still dirty on the fact he was replaced by MM.

As for Mick, the list issues that were evident before we're still there when he took over .... 1. No proper KPF. 2. No A-grade KPB 3. Team defensive mentality completely inept. 4. Not enough strong bodied inside mids.

So when Mick came in he wasn't able to address 1, 2 and 4 in a single off season and they have only now appeared to have address the biggest of these issues ..... "1"..... and that's not guaranteed with Jaksch and Jones but it looks promising.

The one thing he could address early was "3". The team were much harder at it almost immediately and although they didn't get off to a great start in terms of win/loss, we could see that they were a much harder team to beat because of the defensive effort. The team has struggled with the new game plan though because it's so different to what they had been exposed to. It's really only the last 1/2 of 2014 that we could see the players are getting comfortable with the system. With the new additions I will be very extremely surprised if they don't progress and play finals in 2015.

Anyway, about Ratten as coach for the Suns??? I would say NO. I think his optimum coaching level is right where he is now. He is an expert midfield coach (possible none better than him) but he appears to lack the ability to analyse the bigger picture when a plan B, C or D are required.

Just my opinion of course, but I have watched it closely with a lot of vested interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomber thompson another meeting at Essendon Friday..
Mark Harvey confirmed as the senior assistant at Essendon this afternoon..

Dew
Bolton
Ratten
Sanderson
Thompson or
Beveridge

Where's all the news and rumours gone..
We know Bolton had an interview on Monday..
Who was booked in for yesterday and today..?
If this was a melbourne club.. Everyone would be all over it..

Last edited:
If this was a melbourne club.. Everyone would be all over it..
I was listening to The Rush Hour in Triple M Melbourne and the blokes on there even said they have no idea who would coach. Listened to a couple of the latests podcasts from yesterday afternoon and nobody has any idea - not even any speculation. I honestly reckon GC just doesn't have any 'inside leakers' that the Melbourne clubs do, which is why it's so quiet.

The media can only report on pure speculation for so long before even they get bored.

I was listening to The Rush Hour in Triple M Melbourne and the blokes on there even said they have no idea who would coach. Listened to a couple of the latests podcasts from yesterday afternoon and nobody has any idea - not even any speculation. I honestly reckon GC just doesn't have any 'inside leakers' that the Melbourne clubs do, which is why it's so quiet.

The media can only report on pure speculation for so long before even they get bored.

It's pretty funny at the same time. Damo must be tearing his hair out. Needs a scoop!

Or Blight shouldn't have coached Adelaide or St Kilda, or Ayres at Adelaide, and that Sheedy should have stayed in "retirement"

Guys you are missing my point.The Matthews,Blights, Sheedys of the world all achieved a huge amount of success in their gigs,,,, what Im saying is the guys I mentioned have not achieved any success be it making finals and winning to progress towards the GF.
Matthews for Christ sake took the Magpies to a flag after some 32 years . In that 32 years the Pies had plenty of good teams and a number of successful coaches yet Matthews achieved.He saw the light and got out and a few years later achieved the 3peat at the Lions.
Blight nearly got the Cats there ( and it was Blight who took Ablett senior off the wing and placed him at full forward,the result is now history) and then went to the Crows for a 2peat.
Don't have to mention Sheedys record, especially with his baby bombers as they called it.
Now the guys I mentioned wouldn't have a clue how to coach to this level of achieving.
Imagine a Matthews, Blight etc having a list like ours in their coaching prime,,,, s**t they would have us winning the flag after 4 or 5 years and a 3peat on the horizion!!!!!!

Guys you are missing my point.The Matthews,Blights, Sheedys of the world all achieved a huge amount of success in their gigs,,,, what Im saying is the guys I mentioned have not achieved any success be it making finals and winning to progress towards the GF.
Matthews for Christ sake took the Magpies to a flag after some 32 years . In that 32 years the Pies had plenty of good teams and a number of successful coaches yet Matthews achieved.He saw the light and got out
Stopped reading there. Credibility lost imo. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion - but that is categorically wrong. He drove that club into the ground after that flag and was rightfully pushed.

Stopped reading there. Credibility lost imo. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion - but that is categorically wrong. He drove that club into the ground after that flag and was rightfully pushed.

Hey,I take your comment, no worries, but the point is he got them a flag after 32 years and then went on to get the Lions 3 flags in a row.
Can you imagine if a guy like this in his coaching prime had a list like ours to coach... geez, what he would of achieved 3 flags in a row without a problem. That's the extreme difference between a coach that has had success and a coach that hasn't.Thats why I feel we need Bomber.

Hey,I take your comment, no worries, but the point is he got them a flag after 32 years and then went on to get the Lions 3 flags in a row.
Can you imagine if a guy like this in his coaching prime had a list like ours to coach... geez, what he would of achieved 3 flags in a row without a problem. That's the extreme difference between a coach that has had success and a coach that hasn't.Thats why I feel we need Bomber.

These sacked coaches like Bluey, Sanderson, Mcarthey, Voss, Harvey, Walters etc, just do not possess the ability to take a list like ours to the next level.
And it is a risk to give the job to a rookie again, eg, Bolton, Dew,Beveridge etc.
That's my reasoning into getting a coach that has been there and done that so to speak..... thus Bomber, as he seems to be the only one available with these credentials.If Worsfold was available I would grab him. Proven coach at finals level and would install some hard grunt into our young list.

How can the media catch Bomber at LAX or Mexico or wherever the * he went, but can't ambush him in Melbourne somewhere to ask about his plans in 2015? FFS.

I don't even mind the wait for our coach, I just want to know what Bomber is doing.

Maybe Bomber is locked in Blighty's rape dungeon in Degreaves Street

Mate, I actually agree with you in wanting Bomber as well. But, I just don't get what you're trying to say. Are you saying that a coach is no good until he has had success?

No, what im saying is imo, the sacked coaches I mentioned have not got the coaching ability to lift a team to that next level, and a small minority of new coaches have that ability, for example Hinkley at Port Adelaide.We made a huge mistake by not appointing Hinkley over Bluey as the first coach for the Suns.
Why we would entertain a Sanderson, Ratten etc, when they have already failed.?
I see some support for Ratten on this post, but one has to be joking. He had his time and didn't make the cut . As for Sanderson and Mcarthey, well the turmoil amongst the players and others involved in those clubs created by these coaches was overwhelming and the club had no choice but to punt these coaches.So why the hell would we be looking at them for our senior coaching position or even a assistant coaching position.?
Another example was Vossy , a champion player on the field and great ambassador off the field. Such was his standing and recognition at the Lions, he got the senior coaching job without any real experience at coaching. He f...ed up because of the lack of coaching experience at this level, he was stubborn, and commanded the job to be done his way over-riding other assistant coaches opinions.( very similar scenario to Bluey) etc etc.
Yet he had the offer( if you remember) before taking on the Lions coaching job to go to the Eagles and do his coaching apprenticeship under Worsfold for a number of seasons.History shows this did not happen,and Vossy suffered because of this.His demands to get Fevola was granted, but s**t, at that time of Fevs career he was a walking time bomb with his gambling problem etc etc.Now we see Vossy going to Port as a assistant coach under Hinkley. With this move Vossy will now learn the trait of what it requires to be a senior coach at AFL level. That's all good, but Vossy should of done this with the Eagles under Worsfold some 4 or 5 years ago and he may well of been the Lions senior coach say in 2014 with the experience to grow the results.

To add from my prior post; the current successful coaches over the past few seasons be it for example, Clarkson, Lyons, Longmire, endured apprenticeships and stepped up to the senior coaching role and have achieved success. And yes plenty of others have done the apprenticeships but haven't made the cut. The fact is, that some guys will be fantastic coaches and others wont be,just like players, some will make the cut and become stars and others that have potential just don't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back