Mega Thread Coaching Staff Pickups

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Footballers are the biggest whingers and complainers going around.
It's natural when you've got 40 blokes for 22 spots.
Having been involved in lots of footy clubs at all different levels the number one most important thing is to find leaders in the playing group who have the strong follow me character trait,that are almost an extension of the coach himself.
They are absolutely devoted to the coaches cause but most importantly will denounce anyone who isn't.
Those blokes doing the whining are either transformed or weeded out very quickly.
Your Luke Hodge type is the perfect example.
It's why Chris Newman is held in such high regard from his peers.
He has been a huge part of changing the cancerous mindset that RFC players have had for over 20 years.
Because we found ourselves at the polar opposite end of the scale.
Every club has their complaining types but it's at which end of the totem pole they are that matters.
Ours were at the top for a long long time.
Everyone will follow the top dogs,good or bad.
I reckon Adelaide are that club now.
Just the very fact that we were somehow able to make the 8 from where we were speaks volumes about our player leadership and their relationship and belief in the coach.

I don't think the players had a role in it as much as some would like. I think the board and supporters had a bigger say.

Remember during the year they were trying to get BGibbs. Riccuito on TV said he thought if he was going somewhere it would probably be Port. He knew then AFC's list was not that appealing going forward. Now he is in the board.

TBH its a good thing Adelaide got rid of their CEO and Coach. They can only improve which makes our job harder!

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
No idea what the link is between Sando and Northey but I liked Northey so I dont mind. If it was the shock news then the Northey move blew Sandos out of the water.

I actually thought the coach most in the gun was McKenna and he would be saved by the fact that there are just no real obvious blokes that you would really want to coach your club out there. Adelaide will be lucky to find someone who was as impressive on a successful playing group as Sando was so its hard to really feel a benefit unless this bloke really has the good oil like Hinkley.

No doubt over there they look at Hinkley at Port and get furious that they got the wrong ex Geelong assistant. s**t sometimes this year I did also.

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
Didn't Newy stab Terry in the back or i'm dreaming?:confused:

images

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Isn't that exactlya recycled player is someone not getting a regular game at their old club?

No a recycled player is a player that had a shot at a club but failed.Miles never had a shot at GWS, their list had too much talent and quality. Like Sam Mitchell and Barlow, they are not recycled either!

That's why getting players from GWS has proved successful for clubs like us an Port. We get players that are not recycled!

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Isn't this the exact same thing as St Kilda ,the coach was going to upset the senior players boys club and they didn't like it so the coach gets moved on and the boys club remains in tact.
I thought that had to do with snobby members not wanting to see their golden oldies put out to pasture
In the end it will still eventuate, but slowly and less painful to the members
Was it the right move ????
Watters didn't have 3 yrs at it though and had an inferior list and operating budget

Didn't Newy stab Terry in the back or i'm dreaming?:confused:

Dreaming, you have actually bought the Wally version of that meeting

There was growing disquiet in the team, so a meeting between Wallace, Newman, and King (I forget if anyone else was there) was arranged.

King was there because the younger players looked at him as someone who could talk on their behalf. King raised some concerns that the younger players had, and left. These concerns primarily focused around the lack of contact most of them had with Wallace (it was famously noted that Post went 12 months without even having Wallace talk to him, and this was not unusual).

Wallace asked Newman if he had lost the players, and Newman said he thought he had. Wallace then asked if he should stand down, and Newman responded along the lines that maybe it was time, but it was ultimately his decision.

Both parties left the meeting with the understanding that Wallace would resign.

Wally then went for some drinks with Royal and another of his former footscray mates. At those drinks two things occurred. They learned that the older players in the team (off memory Richo and Bowden) did not know about the meeting, and were still supportive of Wallace. The second is that Wallace on hearing this, changed his mind.

This is where conjecture comes into play. The story of the meeting between Wallace/King/Newman leaked, with Newman and King thrown under the bus as traitorous scum. Word I heard was it was one of the parties at Wallace's retirement drinks, and the message was Newman tried to stage a player coup, which Wallace would fight with the support of the senior players.

Of course this saw the s**t hit the fan, go public, and the club arranged for hasty off site meetings the next day. There it was decided Wallace would not be offered a new deal, and upon hearing that Wallace announced his resignation effective immediately.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

There was growing disquiet in the team, so a meeting between Wallace, Newman, and King (I forget if anyone else was there) was arranged.

King was there because the younger players looked at him as someone who could talk on their behalf. King raised some concerns that the younger players had, and left. These concerns primarily focused around the lack of contact most of them had with Wallace (it was famously noted that Post went 12 months without even having Wallace talk to him, and this was not unusual).

Wallace asked Newman if he had lost the players, and Newman said he thought he had. Wallace then asked if he should stand down, and Newman responded along the lines that maybe it was time, but it was ultimately his decision.

Wally then went for some drinks with Royal and another of his former footscray mates. At those drinks two things occurred. They learned that the older players in the team (off memory Richo and Bowden) did not know about the meeting, and were still supportive of Wallace. The second is that Wallace on hearing this, changed his mind.

This is where conjecture comes into play. The story of the meeting between Wallace/King/Newman leaked, with Newman and King thrown under the bus as traitorous scum. Word I heard was it was one of the parties at Wallace's retirement drinks, and the message was Newman tried to stage a player coup, which Wallace would fight with the support of the senior players.

Of course this saw the s**t hit the fan, go public, and the club arranged for hasty off site meetings the next day. There it was decided Wallace would not be offered a new deal, and upon hearing that Wallace announced his resignation effective immediately.
Well you have doubts to what happened by your excellent summary. Going by all of that and the 100s of similar stories when Googling the TW sacking there was a lot of smoke
I think IMO senior players led by Newy had a say just by the overwhelming reports at the time
Unless stated otherwise its hard to ignore

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Yup good summation.

Sanderson arrived at the club just prior to the Tippett salary cap saga unfolding IIRC. Then he loses Walker to a year long knee injury as well as the ability to hit the draft for early talent to rejuvenate the list, his captain misses a year as well and their future CHB walked. All of this was overseen by the same board that had given Sanderson an extension not 10 months ago and yet he is the one that pays the price. To me it appears that the Crows wanted to get Goodwin in before he committed to the Dees, hence the dramatic and out of the blue decision to oust Sanderson. Now Goodwin is going to the Dees for 5 years the Crows will miss out on their preferred target and will end up with someone they didn't really want and IMO will only go backwards because of it.

Well you have doubts to what happened by your excellent summary. Going by all of that and the 100s of similar stories when Googling the TW sacking there was a lot of smoke
I think IMO senior players led by Newy had a say just by the overwhelming reports at the time
Unless stated otherwise its hard to ignore

no, its very different

you said he stabbed him in the back.

firstly, he didn't do it behind his back, he told him to his face that he thought he had lost the players, and when asked by Wallace if he should resign he said it may be time

Not sure how you can accuse someone of backstabbing when they say it straight to their face

Secondly a key part most ignore is while Wallace had clearly lost the players, there were no moves (from what I heard) from the players to oust the coach. No contact with the board on this, no contact with the coteries. None of them said "quit". They raised concerns, lost faith in him, but no one was pushing for his removal. Even the club in the meeting the next day indicated that they expected Wallace to fulfill his contract. It was Wallace who chose to move on early.

Its one thing I am dirty on with Royal or the Footscray bloke who leaked this to Robbo, they really did a job on Newman. Newman did what anyone would expect of a player in his position, he answered the questions he was asked honestly and direct to Wallace's face. Wallaces mates repaid that by labeling him as someone who tried to overthrow Wallace against his will

Squibbs

Premiership Player
May 25, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Sanderson arrived at the club just prior to the Tippett salary cap saga unfolding IIRC. Then he loses Walker to a year long knee injury as well as the ability to hit the draft for early talent to rejuvenate the list, his captain misses a year as well and their future CHB walked. All of this was overseen by the same board that had given Sanderson an extension not 10 months ago and yet he is the one that pays the price. To me it appears that the Crows wanted to get Goodwin in before he committed to the Dees, hence the dramatic and out of the blue decision to oust Sanderson. Now Goodwin is going to the Dees for 5 years the Crows will miss out on their preferred target and will end up with someone they didn't really want and IMO will only go backwards because of it.
We all hope so. :p

went from 3rd to 11th to tenth:eek:
Poor List Management prior to even taking up a coaching role
Lost Tippett to Sydney as part of poor administration
Lost their next best forward to injury
Lost two years worth of fresh talent in the drafts due to poor administration

The club now has a new CEO and new board members, coach is next
We went through this process 5 years ago

However, what will be interesting to watch is how the performance of Adelaide from this point forward, after having removed their coach, compares to us, a team that has chosen not to

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Poor List Management prior to even taking up a coaching role
Lost Tippett to Sydney as part of poor administration
Lost their next best forward to injury
Lost two years worth of fresh talent in the drafts due to poor administration

The club now has a new CEO and new board members, coach is next
We went through this process 5 years ago

However, what will be interesting to watch is how the performance of Adelaide from this point forward, after having removed their coach, compares to us, a team that has chosen not to

Yes but we had a coach who selfish and out for himself and contract was ending. Sando was pretty well respected in the AFL community and had 2 years to run on his contract.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
no, its very different

you said he stabbed him in the back.

firstly, he didn't do it behind his back, he told him to his face that he thought he had lost the players, and when asked by Wallace if he should resign he said it may be time

Not sure how you can accuse someone of backstabbing when they say it straight to their face

Secondly a key part most ignore is while Wallace had clearly lost the players, there were no moves (from what I heard) from the players to oust the coach. No contact with the board on this, no contact with the coteries. None of them said "quit". They raised concerns, lost faith in him, but no one was pushing for his removal. Even the club in the meeting the next day indicated that they expected Wallace to fulfill his contract. It was Wallace who chose to move on early.

Its one thing I am dirty on with Royal or the Footscray bloke who leaked this to Robbo, they really did a job on Newman. Newman did what anyone would expect of a player in his position, he answered the questions he was asked honestly and direct to Wallace's face. Wallaces mates repaid that by labeling him as someone who tried to overthrow Wallace against his will
Sounds like semantics to me

Sounds like semantics to me

garbage

one is betray behind someones back

the other is telling someone what you think of them and leaving it at that

I know you have it in for Newman, but smearing him with this just to continue your attack on him is ridiculous.

Attack his age, skills, output, whatever. You can at least argue a fair point on all of that. Trying to put him up as a backstabbing prick to continue your agenda is beneath you

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
No a recycled player is a player that had a shot at a club but failed.Miles never had a shot at GWS, their list had too much talent and quality. Like Sam Mitchell and Barlow, they are not recycled either!

That's why getting players from GWS has proved successful for clubs like us an Port. We get players that are not recycled!

Hang on so he didn't have a shot because they thought he wasn't good enough, sorry that is the epitome of a recycled player, just because the level of not good enough is higher with players coming from GWS GCS etc he is still recycled, as is Ivan Maric.

Some recycled players work out and many don't, every club tries out a few and dumps most of them at the end of the year, our strike rate is fairly good really, but what we need now is some real class whether recycled or not I don't care, we need some players with good finals experience to teach our team what is required, someone like a Nick Dal Santo, we must at least win a final next year or next year is a definite failure and our coach will then be under massive pressure.

Back