Mega Thread Coaching Staff Pickups

Remove this Banner Ad

We really need to get aggressive with our recruitment on and off the field.

I know behind the scenes we are talking to lots of different people, but we need results. I am not enjoying this post-season at all. We are holding ground only, despite our best attempts.

We really need to get aggressive with our recruitment on and off the field.

I know behind the scenes we are talking to lots of different people, but we need results. I am not enjoying this post-season at all. We are holding ground only, despite our best attempts.

we could be the bulldogs?

we could be the bulldogs?

We could be going backwards, yes... but I'm not content with holding ground at 7th/8th for a 3rd consecutive year. In our quest for a premiership we need to move forward soon.

If we fail to capitalise on our handful of guns we got with high draft picks, we at least need to become a top 4 destination club so when players like Deledio, Cotchin, and Riewoldt eventually leave, we can replace them via FA. (Cotch will retire early)

If we're not entrenched in the top 4 within 3-4 years, I reckon we will be pretty screwed. The system favours the bottom clubs and the top clubs.

Now that Mathew Scarlett has left the Doggies - He is 1 that i would like at the Club
Exactly what I came here to post. Wasn't aware that he'd left the club but just assumed that with McCartney gone, Scarlo would be gettable.
Get him. Seriously. Was one of the driving forces behind the culture change at Geelong.

Heaps of cheapies mate.

Thats my worry bud.

I want to be clear, I applaud the club in recognising that 4 years ago our footy department was really under funded. I just feel we have gone way over the top with player development appointments compared to actually assistant coaches who's main role is instructing mids, forwards, backs, tactics, defensive acts etc. If you look at our coaching numbers we have 10 coaches. ONLY 4 are specific to our main senior list, the other 5 are one vfl coach and 4 development coaches who also I would assume play a similar role as a assistants for the VFL side. Chocco is spread across both senior and vfl development My question is that the right mix ?

Maybe I am being a tad impatient. Being i am part of the Richmond lost generation. Those who were born in 1972 who have only seen not much success. I know our list is the best its been in decades and I don't want us to waste the opportunity the next 3 years offers for us. I also recognise that Dimma is still 5 years in making mistakes come game day, to his credit he is learning but I am disappointed we have not further targeted high quality assistants to support him with there game day Intellectual property.

To say i am toey about the 2015 season, would be a understatement.

Exactly what I came here to post. Wasn't aware that he'd left the club but just assumed that with McCartney gone, Scarlo would be gettable.
Get him. Seriously. Was one of the driving forces behind the culture change at Geelong.
What's the culture like at the club he just left... they're a rabble!!!

Just to summarise is this what it looks like so far in terms of key coaching roles.

Departures since end of 2012:
Leppa
Campbell
Daly

Inclusions:
Truck

Is that correct or have i missed something along the way?

As has been mentioned earlier, i feel like we are 2 main assistants short. Who takes Daly's duties? we can't do that spread the load across the others crap again, just doesnt work.

According to RFC Website:

Head coach: Dimma
Ruck and Midfield coach: Lade
Defensive analyst: Ross Smith
Offensive structures (midfield spread) and forwards: Mark Williams (not chocco)

So now we can add in Truck as a backline coach which is great.

I don't like having Lade working with rucks and mids, they both need to be their own roles IMO as they are both vital to getting first hands on the ball. Work in unison but dont lump both roles with the 1 bloke who has only ever played as a ruckman.

Also don't like having Mark Williams working on offensive structures (midfield spread) and forwards. one again that role needs to be split with the offensive structures going to a specific midfield coach who works with Lade.

It just seems like we arent getting the proper 1 on 1 line coaching the players need to understand what they are doing.

Its a professional sport and a game that involves running patterns, interchange rotations, zoning, positional structures during various situations amongst other things but we have 4 main blokes trying to train and teach 5-6 layers of our game plan, just doesnt seem right?

Obviously the club knows best, but i would love to see us get a specific midfield coach to take loads off the others so each line gets a bit more attention.

Senior Development coach: Chocco
Defenders development coach: Greg Mellor
VFL Coach: Tim Clarke
Ruck / Forwards development coach: Max Bailey
Midfield spread development coach: Andrew McQualter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the culture like at the club he just left... they're a rabble!!!
Ok forget it then. Probably the best full back of the modern era. Strong personality. Exceptional work ethic/commitment as a player.
Not worth considering I guess.

That's true. To be honest I had forgotten about him! Embarrassing.
Still I reckon Scarlett would have plenty to offer. Even if only on a temporary/part time basis.

Thats my worry bud.

I want to be clear, I applaud the club in recognising that 4 years ago our footy department was really under funded. I just feel we have gone way over the top with player development appointments compared to actually assistant coaches who's main role is instructing mids, forwards, backs, tactics, defensive acts etc. If you look at our coaching numbers we have 10 coaches. ONLY 4 are specific to our main senior list, the other 5 are one vfl coach and 4 development coaches who also I would assume play a similar role as a assistants for the VFL side. Chocco is spread across both senior and vfl development My question is that the right mix ?

Maybe I am being a tad impatient. Being i am part of the Richmond lost generation. Those who were born in 1972 who have only seen not much success. I know our list is the best its been in decades and I don't want us to waste the opportunity the next 3 years offers for us. I also recognise that Dimma is still 5 years in making mistakes come game day, to his credit he is learning but I am disappointed we have not further targeted high quality assistants to support him with there game day Intellectual property.

To say i am toey about the 2015 season, would be a understatement.

Come the end of the rookie draft we may have up to 15 players 21 or younger so in that regard it makes sense to have so many development coaches and personally I don't mind that their is only four main list coaches. However I don't like that Lade and Williams have yet to be replaced when it has been their areas the past two seasons that have let us down (more so Williams). This is where I think we can get better.

Problem with Scarlett is he is not that interested in coaching long term/full time. Basically wants to supplement his retirement in Torquay with a little extra cash.

I've come around a bit on McCartney, would like him or Sando at the club next year.

agreed, macca would be good and sando ok but prob a bit pricey.....

hope the club steers way clear of mooney and scarlett both A grade knobs in my opinion.... too many dickheads and know it alls can be like a festering sore, i remember after the pies had a bit of success i knew it wouldnt last as they had/have too many knobheads -

Macguire, Buckley, shaw, didak, tarrant, shaws, swan (dont mind him), the toolish clokes, malthouse, johnson, wellingham, daisy thomas, pert, maxwell, jolly, beams and big mouth harry obrien-la bumba just off the top of my head. as someone told me once " too many clowns spoil the circus". :D

If Bomber stays at Essendon, they will have 5 experienced people with senior coaching experience in their football department.

Meanwhile, we have "the most coaches in the AFL".

Which method is better?

If Bomber stays at Essendon, they will have 5 experienced people with senior coaching experience in their football department.

Meanwhile, we have "the most coaches in the AFL".

Which method is better?

Bomber is no chance to stay at EFC - he all but said at the B&F he can only stay if as senior coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back