Other Teams
Horks
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Old Tone has been quoted in the Herald Scum this morning as announcing a planned overhaul of the national school's curriculum, saying that it ignores much of Australia's history, or otherwise '"focuses too much on indigenous history" - also claims that schools focus too much on the left side of politics...

Not really sure how this joker can legitimately claim that Australian schools focus too much on Indigenous Australian History... This country, for the most part, knows f*ck all about it...

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The problem is that known indigenous history is pretty patchy, and not hugely useful to most students.

Whilst I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that we need to learn less about aboriginality and unions and more about settlers and business or whatever, I do think that the history curriculum in schools is pretty shitty and needs rethinking. I love history but it bored the crap out of me until late high school when we actually got to opt for electives.

The first 9 years of high school we mostly focused on Australian history, which if we're being honest is overkill. There's just not that much of interest to learn.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Old Tone has been quoted in the Herald Scum this morning as announcing a planned overhaul of the national school's curriculum, saying that it ignores much of Australia's history, or otherwise '"focuses too much on indigenous history" - also claims that schools focus too much on the left side of politics...

Not really sure how this joker can legitimately claim that Australian schools focus too much on Indigenous Australian History... This country, for the most part, knows f*ck all about it...

Agreed. I learnt at university last week of a massacre in the 1840's where a group of farmers and ex convicts muderered an entire tribe of Aboriginals. They killed the men by cutting their genitals off and leaving them to die, they raped the women and then stabbed them in the vagina until they died and then they buried the babies so only their heads were above the surface and they had a competition between themselves of who could kick the hardeest to decapitate the babies and see which of their heads flew the furthest.

It is criminal that I was not taught the horrific events of that nature when I was in Primary and then High School.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Hmm... ^^^

Sometimes I think 'massacre' is enough of a description and the gory details may be better left out for the young ones... Reading that is rather hard to stomach...

I can't believe that only in the past 12 or so months that I've actually found out who John Batman was - Anyone from Melbourne would have seen a plethora of places named after him - There's the suburb Batman, the train station in the same suburb, there's Batman Park on St George's Road and there is the Seat of Batman in the electorate - An early settler of Melbourne, Batman made a 'treaty' with the local Wurundjeri people in order to 'rent' the land from them - But in the end he skipped out on his part of the deal. He made quite profitable endeavours from bounty hunting of Indigenous peoples, especially in Tasmania...

It's an interesting take of our country's history to know that a murderer/bounty hunter is still celebrated through various landmarks throughout the city of Melbourne.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Hmm... ^^^

Sometimes I think 'massacre' is enough of a description and the gory details may be better left out for the young ones... Reading that is rather hard to stomach...

I can't believe that only in the past 12 or so months that I've actually found out who John Batman was - Anyone from Melbourne would have seen a plethora of places named after him - There's the suburb Batman, the train station in the same suburb, there's Batman Park on St George's Road and there is the Seat of Batman in the electorate - An early settler of Melbourne, Batman made a 'treaty' with the local Wurundjeri people in order to 'rent' the land from them - But in the end he skipped out on his part of the deal. He made quite profitable endeavours from bounty hunting of Indigenous peoples, especially in Tasmania...

It's an interesting take of our country's history to know that a murderer/bounty hunter is still celebrated through various landmarks throughout the city of Melbourne.

Could have been worse they seriously considered naming Melbourne after him.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The first 9 years of high school we mostly focused on Australian history, which if we're being honest is overkill. There's just not that much of interest to learn.

How long were you at high school for?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I don't disagree and I found it hard to stomach as well when I heard it but sometimes I think the Australian education system tip toes around what white settlers did to the Aboriginal people. They sort of tell the students what happened but not enough to actually make any emotional impact. It is supposed to be repulsive and I would hope if a child were to hear that they would be more open to acknowledging that Australia's past is not as rosy as some would like us to believe.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Agreed. I learnt at university last week of a massacre in the 1840's where a group of farmers and ex convicts muderered an entire tribe of Aboriginals. They killed the men by cutting their genitals off and leaving them to die, they raped the women and then stabbed them in the vagina until they died and then they buried the babies so only their heads were above the surface and they had a competition between themselves of who could kick the hardeest to decapitate the babies and see which of their heads flew the furthest.

It is criminal that I was not taught the horrific events of that nature when I was in Primary and then High School.
Damn.

I have heard about some bad, largely unreported stuff in WA, which is why I imagine ol'history wars never decided to cast his glare there. Didn't know what he would stir up. But that is horrific.

It seems to be universal though, from Australia to Japan, conservative politicians are enamored with historical revisionism...

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Australian history was the most boring subject I endured at school.

The country really didn't have much to talk about until world war 1 when we started making heroes out of people put in harms way by the British....and then thanked them for it.

Damn.

I have heard about some bad, largely unreported stuff in WA, which is why I imagine ol'history wars never decided to cast his glare there. Didn't know what he would stir up. But that is horrific.

It seems to be universal though, from Australia to Japan, conservative politicians are enamored with historical revisionism...
yes, but did it happen?

Honestly, if we could just do Australian History from say 1980, I reckon the more people would pay attention.

otherwise It is completely irrelevant to the vast majority of modern Australians and I'd be happy to keep to say 1 semester in yr 8.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
It really is that. To become a teacher you obviously need a university degree but teachers average over $10,000 less per year than the average person with a university degree

Given how many unemployed people have a university degree, I can't take that as truth.

Added why is job security never factored in?

What's the point of getting 5K extra a year in wages when you're a far far higher % more likely to be made redundant.

ClokesShankedIt

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jul 5, 2011
Near the point post
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sounds a little too "perfect". Link?

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
Love to know how Australian History has a left lean towards it.

Unless he is referring to Curtin's role as prime minister.

Well they don't say anything about how kick arse the first settlers were in taking over a whole continent.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hardly, its the left that so loves to rewrite history. Curtin instead of being a coward, hypocrite and a soak is some sort of war hero. The union disgrace of both wars is neglected, ditto their efforts re WAP. Stolen Children is taken seriously rather than the massively overstated nonsense it has shown to be etc etc.

As for the above massacre, if its the one I am thinking of a farmer was speared and killed first.

The public school system is riddled with hard left sorts and the syllabus reflects that.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Hardly, its the left that so loves to rewrite history. Curtin instead of being a coward, hypocrite and a soak is some sort of war hero.

Have always loved your form on this Meds. I suppose Menzies should have had his way and every last troop been sent off to defend the Raj?

Back