Coalition to revive work-for-the-dole program

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
From the governments website: https://employment.gov.au/work-dole

None of the things listed above can be bad for the individual.

What exactly are the issues that Lefties have with work for the dole schemes?????

Because it doesn't actually work.

Most unemployed people have shocking levels of self-esteem and motivation..they have the skills mentioned, but, none of the drive.

That issue can never and will never be addressed by such programs. It comes down to the individual.

What WILL work is short courses with GUARANTEED WORK AT THE END OF THEM.

Ruck Machine

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
Reality
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Most unemployed people have shocking levels of self-esteem and motivation..they have the skills mentioned, but, none of the drive.

That issue can never and will never be addressed by such programs. It comes down to the individual.

Wouldn't gaining work experience via work for the dole and actually achieving something boost self esteem?

Wouldn't being 'forced' to do menial jobs for the dole motivate people to find a better paid job? (They're working anyway, may as well get paid more for it).

I can't see logically how such a scheme could fail ...

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wouldn't gaining work experience via work for the dole and actually achieving something boost self esteem?

Wouldn't being 'forced' to do menial jobs for the dole motivate people to find a better paid job? (They're working anyway, may as well get paid more for it).

I can't see logically how such a scheme could fail ...

No because it doesn't work.

People struggle to turn up to work for the dole programs that currently exist anyway. Why is that? Because there is nothing at the end of the 13 week process to claim as an achievement. And most employers DON'T really consider Work For The Dole as a wonderful stepping stone into employment anyway.

You have to dangle a carrot. That's where actual courses can prove vital.

Ruck Machine

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
Reality
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
No because it doesn't work.

People struggle to turn up to work for the dole programs that currently exist anyway. Why is that? Because there is nothing at the end of the 13 week process to claim as an achievement. And most employers DON'T really consider Work For The Dole as a wonderful stepping stone into employment anyway.

You have to dangle a carrot. That's where actual courses can prove vital.

You say these individuals lack motivation ... and yet you also say the best way to get them into work is with the carrot? Doesn't make sense :drunk:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
From the governments website: https://employment.gov.au/work-dole

None of the things listed above can be bad for the individual.

What exactly are the issues that Lefties have with work for the dole schemes?????

That the title is aimed at the tt aca crowd, and not the actual people its supposedly trying to encourage

Mutual obligation is a fair term but the coalition probably think the words are too long for some of its voters

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd like to hear what the LNP truly want to achieve out of this. It all sounds good in theory, but the evidence suggests otherwise. People may get a temporary lift in self esteem and interpersonal skills, but knowing it will soon end with no real job to go to would be hanging over your head.

Again, what do they want to achieve from it?

It smacks of appeasment to a certain prejudice that some voters or party members have. Another ideological policy. I am afraid this government has no grasp on reality and is stuck in ideology. Businesses have come out in opposition to this too.

Band aid policies like this would not be required if governments (Labor or LNP) actually governed with vision and came up with a plan to create and encourage growth industries so there was sustainable employment.

What is it they think this will really achieve?

I'd like to hear what the LNP truly want to achieve out of this. It all sounds good in theory, but the evidence suggests otherwise. People may get a temporary lift in self esteem and interpersonal skills, but knowing it will soon end with no real job to go to would be hanging over your head.

It smacks of appeasment to a certain prejudice that some voters or party members have. Another ideological policy. I am afraid this government has no grasp on reality and is stuck in ideology. Businesses have come out in opposition to this too.

Band aid policies like this would not be required if governments (Labor or LNP) actually governed with vision and came up with a plan to create and encourage growth industries so there was sustainable employment.

This 'adult' government has no idea, policies on the run. This country is run by our grand-parents, not the greatest forward thinkers and I doubt that any of Abetz, Truss, Brandis, Johnson, maybe even Barnaby have a lap-top or know what one is.

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
Someone has done the maths

Oq2jk07.png

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

More over, The Government seem to be hell bent on destroying many of the possible of the jobs of the future, especially in alternative energy technologies. We are the perfect place for solar, wind & wave power generating technologies.
Playing stupid political games is all they seem to be able to come up with. But that is Eric Abetz to a T.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I spent about 7 months on the dole after I finished uni, over 6 years ago. I have been fortunate enough to not go back.

Having to navigate my way though the roadblocks made by parasitic Job Nework Agencies was hard enough. If I had to do 25 hours of menial labour a week on top of that I would never have found a job.

These campaigners and the people who agree with them have NFI. Everyone loses with this type of 'crack down'.

EDIT: the automatic replacement to 'campaigners' is not cute. Whats wrong with the good old fashioned asterix?

Just read that this policy may not go through in its current format, waiting for feedback.
Just another thought bubble policy, wouldn't you think that you would do your homework first before presenting policy.
Just small things like consult the various stakeholders?
Yep, again another example of: "we are ready to govern". More like doing an traineeship but overpaid.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just read that this policy may not go through in its current format, waiting for feedback.
Just another thought bubble policy, wouldn't you think that you would do your homework first before presenting policy.
Just small things like consult the various stakeholders?
Yep, again another example of: "we are ready to govern". More like doing an traineeship but overpaid.

Ready to govern in their opinion, which means roll out all the howard govenment stuff again, howard didnt make a mistake, we the voters were very silly children to take sweeties from that Rudd fellow.
Still we obviously came around, saw sense and put the adults in again. No need for them to change, they were right, we were wrong.
In their opinion
And why not, they didnt really demonstrate they have changed and we voted them in anyway

Enjoy

bombermick

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2009
Vermont South
AFL Club
Essendon
Stupid idea that would only result in people preparing templates, where they only have to change a few details. Much better to pay for people to do courses like security etc ...

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
It's looking more and more like the proposed changes to the dole won't happen. All the cross benches have said they are against it and are now starting to say they'll block or hold up other legislation if the government goes ahead with the changes. Abbott is going to have to very quickly decided between the changes to the dole or open war with the Senate.

I know which will kill his political career if he chooses that path.

Ruck Machine

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
Reality
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
My Suggested Dole Scheme

Months 1-3 - No mutual obligation requirements at an increased rate, payment 25% higher than current dole rate.

Months 4-6 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight at current dole rate.

Months 7-9 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight and work for the dole. Current dole rate applies.

Months 10-12 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight at 75% current dole rate.

Months 12+ - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight and work for the dole. Payment 75% current dole rate.

What do other people suggest to improve the system?

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
My Suggested Dole Scheme

Months 1-3 - No mutual obligation requirements at an increased rate, payment 25% higher than current dole rate.

Months 4-6 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight at current dole rate.

Months 7-9 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight and work for the dole. Current dole rate applies.

Months 10-12 - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight at 75% current dole rate.

Months 12+ - Mutual obligation requirements required 10 applications per fortnight and work for the dole. Payment 75% current dole rate.

What do other people suggest to improve the system?

Increase Newstart and spend the $5biillion on job creation.

The latest from these unemployed-hating idealogues would be hilarious if it wasn't for it's utter vindictiveness

Unemployed people face the loss of payments as a punishment for spamming employers with unsatisfactory applications to meet tough job search rules, the Abbott government has warned

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-be-cut-if-they-spam-employers-ministers-warn

Back