2nds Coburg Tigers - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw the below on Andy Browne's twitter account:

"...Frankston supporters were disgusting. There is no place in this game for some of the comments made."

Did anyone hear or see anything about what this might mean? Hopefully none of our players were racially abused or anything.

Granted, I haven't heard many glowing reports about Frankston as a place - Browne is meant to be a fairly smart bloke so whatever this is in reference to, he must have taken offence to it in some capacity. He doesn't seem the like the sore loser type to take to his twitter account and rant about a loss.

hectic

Senior List
Nov 5, 2009
Eeevan's Mullet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons, Green Bay Packers

"...Frankston supporters were disgusting. There is no place in this game for some of the comments made."

Did anyone hear or see anything about what this might mean? Hopefully none of our players were racially abused or anything.

Granted, I haven't heard many glowing reports about Frankston as a place - Browne is meant to be a fairly smart bloke so whatever this is in reference to, he must have taken offence to it in some capacity. He doesn't seem the like the sore loser type to take to his twitter account and rant about a loss.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/racism-claim-hits-vfl-club/story-fn7x8me2-1226335756055

A VFL club is caught up in racism allegations after fans allegedly targeted opposition players at the weekend.

An AFL-listed player accused supporters from the Frankston Football Club of making racist slurs against players from the Coburg VFL side during yesterday's match.

Richmond player Andrew Browne said on Twitter the fans made the comments to players in the quarter-time and three-quarter time huddles.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo

Definitely was plenty of abuse from the group next to the scoreboard, especially for Graham and Webberley. Didn't hear any racism, but I couldn't always make out what was being said. Heard maori lad being referred to as Izzy, but that's about it.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

now lets not start sticking stereotypes into the debate. ive lived here all my life, walked the streets at night after a few(younger days) and never had a problem. cant say thats any better or worse than any other place. lets not let a few knobs idiocy get in the way of this topic.

Apr 7, 2004
Pluto
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TOO
Definitely was plenty of abuse from the group next to the scoreboard, especially for Graham and Webberley. Didn't hear any racism, but I couldn't always make out what was being said. Heard maori lad being referred to as Izzy, but that's about it.

Oh thats ok dude, they were most likely tigerheads from this forum...
But the AFL/VFL better smarten up because tipping that a few big boys will be fronting up at the next Franskston game with a "couple of issues to debate", if what has been reported is on the money..;)

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
McDonald has pretty much chucked it in. He's back at his home town requesting to play for the local side but obviously can't as he is contracted to the Tiges.

Cites distance and lifestyle as the reasons for leaving which is strange considering Punt Rd is 90 minutes away from his hometown. Ah well, another contradiction to our 'pyscho analysis' testing. What a waste.

El Tigre

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2010
Deutchland
AFL Club
Richmond
McDonald has pretty much chucked it in. He's back at his home town requesting to play for the local side but obviously can't as he is contracted to the Tiges.

Cites distance and lifestyle as the reasons for leaving which is strange considering Punt Rd is 90 minutes away from his hometown. Ah well, another contradiction to our 'pyscho analysis' testing. What a waste.

at pick 51, the players are either going to have questionable skills, questionable attitudes, or questionable size. And they'll always be someone picked lower that she should have picked (even when you take out rookie promotions) eg: in that draft: Puopolo
Tho i tend to agree that that we should place a higher importance on good character than natural skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now lets not start sticking stereotypes into the debate. ive lived here all my life, walked the streets at night after a few(younger days) and never had a problem. cant say thats any better or worse than any other place. lets not let a few knobs idiocy get in the way of this topic.

Sorry if that came out the wrong way theflea. I've got nothing against Frankston personally and certainly didn't mean to sledge the place (I remember going there as a young kid to visit family friends and have fond memories of the beach). Haven't been there in a good 15 years though at least.

What I meant to say was from what other people have told me, it perhaps hasn't got the best reputation going around (probably the stereotype you refer to). I guess this is what happens when you move to the big smoke and ask 'locals' about various suburbs and areas :p

I grew up in Ballarat so I can hardly through any stones :D but like you, didn't have any trouble personally growing up there. I'm sure Frankston isn't anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be :thumbsu:

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes...I think it is always positive, isn't it? It reads like my co-teacher's reports at work. Even the student that doesn't even bring a pen and doesn't do any work in class somehow is "a lovely student who is always listens in class. A pleasure to teach!"

They lost to Frankston FFS....are there no negatives that could have contributed to this? Everyone played well..some were a quiet at times (but we lost to the bottom side who have been comprehensively beaten every week....ommitted!)

Read Continstar's appraisal of our players' performance for a counter, and probably more accurate picture and some of the 'positives' may be quite a bit reduced.

Jimmy6019

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes...I think it is always positive, isn't it? It reads like my co-teacher's reports at work. Even the student that doesn't even bring a pen and doesn't do any work in class somehow is "a lovely student who is always listens in class. A pleasure to teach!"

They lost to Frankston FFS....are there no negatives that could have contributed to this? Everyone played well..some were a quiet at times (but we lost to the bottom side who have been comprehensively beaten every week....ommitted!)

Read Continstar's appraisal of our players' performance for a counter, and probably more accurate picture and some of the 'positives' may be quite a bit reduced.

Lol... maybe it's somwhere in the middle?

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Whats the point of that coburg report if they r just going to write crap they must think we r all dumb arse nuffers.

Oct 21, 2010
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Richmond
Tom Derrickx
Although it was a frustrating day for the forwards, with the slow ball movement in, Tom continued to present and make a contest. He took two big contested marks and kicked an excellent goal from the boundary. His defensive work inside forward-50, with four tackles, also was pleasing to see.

Tom Derrickx
Although it was a frustrating day for the forwards, with the slow ball movement in, Tom continued to present and make a contest. He took two big contested marks and kicked an excellent goal from the boundary. His defensive work inside forward-50, with four tackles, also was pleasing to see.

Some of you may have noticed that there was a little bit extra in the article earlier on today. There were some negative type comments that were posted. These reports are simply editted versions of the feedback the players themselves recieve. Naturally the club isn't going to make criticism public, so they give us the feelgood version that highlights the good things the players are doing.

We should be thankful that we're getting these reports as a few years back we were lucky to hear anything about the kids at Coburg.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I gotta say i often muse over the punters report Fresh from the game pouring cold water over anyones efforts, barely touched it, far from impressive, low and behold we see the stats days later to learn 30 possies again.....or plucked towering marks at will....me thinks might pay to leave the bar before reporting back next time:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back