'Cognitive dissonance' - Do you witness this phenomenon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the 1950s, social psychologist Leon Festinger proposed the theory of 'cognitive dissonance' as an attempt to explain the seeming irrationality of cult members who continued to have faith that a UFO landing was imminent despite constantly being wrong in their predictions as to when. In simple terms, the theory relates to individuals who:

1) hold two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time; or
2) are confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance#Theory_and_research

We have all been guilty of this at one point or another; indeed it is something which afflicts all of us more than most are probably willing to admit. For example, every semester at uni I would tell myself that I would attend classes and achieve better grades than the semester before, even though I knew the trend went in the exact opposite direction. When I found myself skipping classes in week 1, I would tell myself that I would make up for it the next week, even though I knew that was highly unlikely. And so on.

One of the more fascinating things to come out of Festinger's work was how we will delude ourselves into actually believing something to fit preexisting notions, and the stronger the dissonance, the greater the self-delusion. This short clip explains it well:

This explains why the biggest defenders of struggling coaches on team boards on bigfooty (for example) are those who have invested the most emotion into believing that said coaches would take their team to the promised land. It is not simply a matter of 'pride' or 'saving face' (although these are no doubt factors as well), but with each passing match/season where these beliefs seem to be getting proven wrong, such individuals are likely to convince themselves even more that their initial/earlier belief systems were correct.

That is, the more the evidence runs against our preexisting notions, the more mental stress we feel (cognitive dissonance), the more likely we are to delude ourselves into believing more strongly in our original views and reject anybody or anything that challenges those views - even when that means holding two completely contradictory views at the same time.

Is this a phenomenon you witness day-to-day? Is it possible you might be affected by your own cognitive dissonances? Are you the type of person to alter your worldview to fit the facts, or the type to fit the 'facts' into your worldview?

Over to you, bigfooty.

Jokes aside, SB, this is a good one. I encounter it in life all of the time, and it pisses me off. I know you love your Orwellisms and this one really strikes at the core of Doublethink.

It is partly a necessity I think. I know you are one to question anything and everything, and I respect that. But I couldn't dothat - it would do my head in; at some point we need to come to conclusions and 'carry on' so to speak. If I couldn't do it, I would be in a constant state of inertia. The bullshit is all around us, sometime we just gotta cop it.

In my experience, it gets physically, emotionally, mentally (and spiritually?) tiring maintaining a belief in something that is obviously not for me, so I tend to let go, move on and hopefully learn from whatever it was. This doesn't display a weakness, rather a kind of strength to admit one is/was wrong. It also doesn't mean I change for the sake of it either. I guess we all have our belief systems and whatever is true for oneself and doesn't harm anyone else, then that's fine, too.

tl;dr

837803d1349250497-im-over-here-ranting-just-ignore-me-keep-calm-carry-variations.jpeg

Every time I try to believe something it seems to be proven wrong within a week. Or at least be brought into question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting that the person who appears to suffer the most from this disorder is the person to make a thread about it
Yeah I reading it thinking "I wonder if he realsies this article is describing him". I don't think he does.

Yeah I reading it thinking "I wonder if he realsies this article is describing him". I don't think he does.
Your signature suggests cognitive dissonance itself.

But then again your purpose on this forum is to cut people down as a beacon of cool rationality. Which isn't cognitively dissonant, but it is galling and... wrong

Is this a phenomenon you witness day-to-day? Is it possible you might be affected by your own cognitive dissonances? Are you the type of person to alter your worldview to fit the facts, or the type to fit the 'facts' into your worldview?

It's something never more evident than when one visits the HTB. Very few posters there are able to break out of it and offer fairly balance views that change based on available evidence.

On a broader scale, the feeling of reviewing a belief in light of new evidence and finding out that you were wrong is an uncomfortable one. Comfort comes with stability, so it's easy to see why this phenomenon occurs.

I'm pretty sure everyone has seen it and others and is guilty of it themselves.

I know for cricket that sometimes my use of statistics can be pretty selective depending on my opinion of the player.

I'm also guilty of the uni skipping one.
Ian Redpath is a better batsman than Mark Waugh if you're using Test averages as a mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back