Col Austen Trophy Night

Remove this Banner Ad

The BHH B & F was held last Friday night and Joffa Simpkin was the very worthy winner.

64 Jonathan Simpkin
58 Dave Mirra
57 Kurt Heatherley
54 Dallas Willsmore
53 Sam Collins and Jonothan O'Rourke
52 Teia Miles
50 Sam Iles
49 Tom Gordon and Tim O'Brien
46 James Sicily
45 Brendan Whitecross

President's Award [Most Votes In Liston Medal] - Jonathan Simpkin
Best Clubman - Sam Collins
Ron Gibbs Award [Outstanding Service By Volunteer] -Alan McDonald
Trainer's Award - Tom Gordon
3WBC Award - Sam Iles
100 Games - Dave Mirra and Liam Tobin
Leading Goalkicker - Sam Grimley
Most Consistent - Kurt Heatherley
Honest Efforts - Mitch O'Donnell
Best Player In Finals - Jonathan Simpkin
Best First Year Player - Daniel Howe

Development Team Top Ten
41 Chris Jones
39 Ryan Exon
37 Joseph Fisher
34 Jake Summers and Jordan Walker
33 Aaron Bond, Xavier Dimasi and Sam Gibson
32 Jermaine Miller-Lewis and Sam Switkowski

Best Player In Finals - Ryan Exon

The function was held at The Park in Lakeside Drive Albert Park and was attended by 200 people which was a very good number. President Tony Pinwell, Marco Bello and Dave Mirra all empathized whilst the club could be proud of a successful year they were disappointed with our performance in the grand final. The club will fully review all aspects of the year and work hard to go one step better in 2016.

Kurt Heatherley was the early leader and his third place and elevation to the senior list are encouraging for his future prospects. With Brian Lake's retirement it is likely Kurt will be given every opportunity to press for senior selection. Kurt spoke very well and thanked his parents for their support and mentioned they have moved to Melbourne.

Liam Tobin's message to the first, second and third year players was outstanding. He said senior and development players will receive financial offers to play local footy which will be very tempting however he challenged them to strive to develop into better footballers in the best environment at the BHH. I liked Liam's advice to embrace the opportunity to play football in the VFL because the chance to play local football will always be available at a later time. I would like to set the record straight about a post which suggested Liam was seen smoking a cigarette. Liam was questioned by a number of people and confirmed it was a case of mistaken identity because he has never smoked. Liam is a terrific young man and will be shaving/shearing his beard to raise money for charity, I think Beyond Blue.

Another rock solid year by Joffa. Great result from Willsmore. Has improved this year which is all you want from a kid. Crap finish but a very good year from the Stangas.

Wonder if the departure of Grimley will leave more space in our forward line for Chris Jones to play more senior BHH games next year?
Really like Chris Jones. Terrific set shot and very good contested mark. Has the turning circle of a Double B and is glacier slow.

Thanks fro the link hh.

Incidentally, Con Austin's brother used to deliver our bread in Hawthorn, by horse and cart, way back in the 40s.

Those were the days. Nightmen use to rattled cans when emptying toilets and milk was delivered in bottles with silver tin tops the birds would sometimes puncture for a drink. I can recall seeing John Peck lugging sides of beef and full lambs into a butcher's shop in Church Street Hawthorn. Life today is so cushy and sanitized by comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those were the days. Nightmen use to rattled cans when emptying toilets and milk was delivered in bottles with silver tin tops the birds would sometimes puncture for a drink. I can recall seeing John Peck lugging sides of beef and full lambs into a butcher's shop in Church Street Hawthorn. Life today is so cushy and sanitized by comparison.

We didn't have the night-man in Hawthorn, but we used to go to Mansfield for holidays, and I remember those days. One thing about the Hawks then, you would often run into a player during your daily rounds. As you said, Peck used to deliver meat, one time he was in Glenferrie road, and I had just bought a new autograph book, which he signed for me. Lance Wilkinson was teller at The State Savings Bank of Vic. Cam Mac McPherson worked for Saunders Chemist, and Jack Mc Leod at the Town Hall.

My father used to change into his night attire, and put the milk bottles out when he wanted any guests to leave.

You're right, they were fun times, but I think today's times, as far as the footy club goes are far more enjoyable.

I used to follow Camberwell in the VFA, and their success rate was on a par with Hawthorn's at the time.

and houdinihuddo served in the Bore War:eek:
People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass!!!!!

I'm a happy and healthy 65 years young having been spoiled rotten with what equates to an amazing record of a premiership every 5 years of my life. I love Hawthorn, they are the reason the sun rises in the morning and sets in the afternoon.

I was only kidding, it's just when people start mentioning John Peck.... well lets just say he was a tad before my time ;) I think it's great that people have supported Hawthorn for so long :thumbsu: (My Dad used to talk about all those ancient players as well :) )

People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass!!!!!

I'm a happy and healthy 65 years young having been spoiled rotten with what equates to an amazing record of a premiership every 5 years of my life. I love Hawthorn, they are the reason the sun rises in the morning and sets in the afternoon.

Always thought that quote was: " People who live in glass houses shouldn't undress!"

Wish I could go back 10 years hh. But being a Hawk supporter keeps one happt, and there's always the next premiership to look forward too.:thumbsu:

I was only kidding, it's just when people start mentioning John Peck.... well lets just say he was a tad before my time ;) I think it's great that people have supported Hawthorn for so long :thumbsu: (My Dad used to talk about all those ancient players as well :) )
There are 3 players I'd love to go back in time to see would be Peck, Edwards & Hudson. Ancient they may be.

Great they are.

An update of the final B & F voting for the players who polled more than 10 votes:
SENIORS
SIMPKIN* 64
MIRRA 58
HEATHERLEY* 57
WILLSMORE* 54
COLLINS 53
O’ROURKE* 53
MILES* 52
ILES 50
GORDON 49
O’BRIEN* 49
SICILY* 46