COLA is and was AFL smokescreen

Remove this Banner Ad

Gazza Greatness

Premium Platinum
Oct 11, 2008
Werribee
AFL Club
Geelong
First and foremost this is not a Sydney Swans troll.....

Years ago I had office in Melbourne along with two interstate offices in Sydney and Brisbane. At the time I was fortunate enough through my bank at different intervals to be granted mortgages to own each of the 3 offices rather than lease. Fast forward a few years down track and all three offices once again all at different intervals were sold with the Sydney office by far being the best return and it was always going to be that way for the Sydney property although more expensive was going to give greater returns in long run.

Therefore, if I was a footballer and was in a position to investment money into property particularly as a first home buyer (exempt from Capital Gains Tax) the Sydney property market would be very inviting. Given the supposition that a Sydney Swans player could have easy access to a willing mortgage lender along with a professional property advisor, for mine it would be in that players best interests to invest his money into the Sydney property market, rather than say the Adelaide property market.

Hence, if a Sydney Swans player invests his money wisely into the Sydney property market, in time he will be better off and not worse off, contrary to AFL propaganda.

Bottom line - having been in business for many years myself it is fundamentally important at all times to protect your own assets....... and there are not too many bigger assets to the AFL than the Sydney/NSW market place, to have the Sydney market place fall away would be a major financial blow not only to the AFL but to all clubs that represent it, so yes Sydney in the past to some point has needed to be supported/protected and slowly but surely they are beginning to stabilize and with the introduction of GWS let's hope as Aussie rules supporters that the Sydney/NSW becomes a financially successful and vibrant football state, if not future subsidies of some nature will have to exist.

Apologies for length of thread but had story to tell about a very touchy and somewhat misunderstood subject with AFL being biggest culprit.

Last edited:
We all know that the COLA is a way of propping up Sydney. Not sure why the charade is continuing about this.

If the COLA was a real phenomenon, the clubs in Melbourne and Perth would get more than those in Adelaide and Brisbane. The AFL is a joke as it treats us all like morons.

This discussion has only been posted a couple of times before........:rolleyes:

The A-league teams don't have a cost of living allowance.

Also American teams in expensive cities such as New York, LA, and the like would never get one, and it would be seen as an absolute farce if they did.

Teams like Green Bay wouldn't exist because their cap would be so low they wouldn't be able to compete.

No of course it's not A TROLL. :rolleyes:

What sort of business were you in ? Brothel or sweat shop ? Going by your current location as far as business goes you obviously could not run a piss up in a brewery. You've sold offices in Sydney and Brisbane and are now in Werribee. Just GTFO. :rolleyes: Great business acumen.

Perfect example of an idiot starting a s**t throwing thread, all the usual following imbeciles hitting the like button and Mods start handing out cards to anybody that has the temerity to dare fire back in kind. Pathetic.

Given his post was trying to explain a point (even though COLA has been discussed to death) and yours was an over-the-top personal attack, I can see why cards might find their way to you.

. You know what here's the first bloody proof -

The argument that they have no advantage because they had to lose players to fit Tippett and Franklin is about as dumb as it gets. They had the COLA before Tippett and Franklin, so all that proves is that they had to lose players to keep from breaching the salary cap + COLA, not from breaching the salary cap.

The issue is with why Sydney have an advantage of 1 million dollars over other clubs in their TPP, not with why they were able to afford two particular players. And this issue goes back many years, as Jason Dunstall himself alluded to in that clip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argument that they have no advantage because they had to lose players to fit Tippett and Franklin is about as dumb as it gets. They had the COLA before Tippett and Franklin, so all that proves is that they had to lose players to keep from breaching the salary cap + COLA, not from breaching the salary cap.

The issue is with why Sydney have an advantage of 1 million dollars over other clubs in their TPP, not with why they were able to afford two particular players. And this issue goes back many years, as Jason Dunstall himself alluded to in that clip.
... they breached the salary cap + cola? Where is your proof of this? I know people will always argue that the swans had an advantage because of the COLA because of jealousy. That fact is you have no proof. Not only that, Adelaide are the real cheats with Tippett who (I think by memory, don't quote me on this) were breaching their own salary cap to pay him. Secondly, the buddy move was audited by the AFL... what more bloody satisfaction do you need, apart, from this? And I know what everyone will say... about how the AFL, big brother etc. has always protected/supported the swans. Well I have one response for this, it is that your brain can't comprehend how well this club has done in terms of recruitment compared to other clubs. You and others will never understand or even want to comprehend how and what they did because you don't want to, in your own self-bubble you always want to believe that the swans are and were cheaters. If we try to explain to you, by the way by you I don't you as an individual I am talking about everyone that has a problem with this will never care about what we have to say.

The stupid melbourne-based media exaggerated it way too much and now the whole of vic is like COLA, COLA, COLA. Get the * over it... there was no cheating here. It is called smart management, something clearly the other clubs do not have. There are just so many points I can write to counter-act each one about the COLA but i seriously cbf. I wish good luck to Hawthorn but I dear hope we win because then we can rub it into your faces until the next season.

Mean housing costs per week, by state, for owners with a mortgage:
  • Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4130.0

Edit: note that these are the capital city figures.

Lets assume that most Sydney players own their houses. They get 10% more (in theory anyway), and can afford houses that are more expensive than players in other states. At the end of their playing time, they have a house which is more expense than if they were playing in any other state.

Why should players in Sydney effectively end up with more than players in other states?

The only sound argument for a COLA is with rookies. An argument could be put forward for players on ~$50k who have to rent in Sydney getting additional support, which is the way the AFL is changing it going forward. However it should be capped at say $100k - players on $300k don't need help making ends meet.

• Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306

So what you're saying is that the allowance should be around 52*$60 per player per year.

That seems fair. How do you extract another $900,000 from the AFL?

• Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306

That is $4,420 difference for home owners, or 1.77% of an average $250,000 footballer, or 0.55% of an $800,000 footballer.

I think first contract draft recruits and rookies are the only ones who needed to be protected but it was never about a cost of living support. Anyone earning $250k per annum or more doesn't really need any cost of living support and are probably living a lifestyle far beyond the means of people in the ABS survey data.

Last edited:
Given his post was trying to explain a point (even though COLA has been discussed to death) and yours was an over-the-top personal attack, I can see why cards might find their way to you.

The defence rests. Trolls are trolls and people that can't hit the like button quick enough are only lifeless parasites.
One in particular who if he has the balls to PM me we can talk COLA till the cows come home.

We all know that the COLA is a way of propping up Sydney. Not sure why the charade is continuing about this.

If the COLA was a real phenomenon, the clubs in Melbourne and Perth would get more than those in Adelaide and Brisbane. The AFL is a joke as it treats us all like morons.

This discussion has only been posted a couple of times before........:rolleyes:

and make sure Sydney never bottoms out because if they do. No One would go and watch them in Sydney and they could die

Remove this Banner Ad

Back