Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams (Released December 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

They've announced their new album. Comparing it to Ghost Stories Johnny's said the difference will be night and day. New single certainly shows that.

Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Tove Lo (no idea who that is) and Merry Clayton(!) are on the album. And they've also said they'll do a full tour for this album, unlike what they did for Ghost Stories.

First single, Adventure of a Lifetime:

I will be over the moon if they include their best and unreleased song ever, "Ladder to the Sun"...

They are sitting on a classic song, and I don't think a band like Coldplay can afford to let it slide..

Sure, if their last three records all had classics, I'd understand...

Anyway...

Same as the Strokes, they are sitting on " Sagganuts"

Radiohead are sitting on Big Boots and Lift..( especially when I look at the track listing and see feral, when they could have included a mind bending track, ugh! )

Annoys the **** out of me..

Anyway, hope it's a good album

Last edited:
Adventure of a Lifetime is very cool...though the song at its core is kind of dull. Maybe it's supposed to be simple and atmospheric.

Lovely guitar noodling on the bass and lead...

Atmospheric, not really feeling the direction that the song moves, but could be a decent album track..

I've always believed that Coldplay are a better band when they do their darker/alternative style music and not when they are trying to obviously make radio pop hits...( talk and in my place were very cool songs though)

Coldplay are one of those bands I always visioned doing a Scott Walker and flipping into darker, more experimental realms. Echo and the Bunnymen meets New Order or something like that..(which hasn't occurred yet).

Last edited:

I really liked their song Magic from the last album. It was just that simplistic almost ambient feel about it which did it for me.

This latest track reminds me of their Peter Allen inspired song from a few years ago where the production is just over the top.

They cop an unfair whack and its 'cool' to hate them because they are such a benign and politically correct band, but FMD if Clocks, Shiver and The Scientist are not classic songs

I really liked their song Magic from the last album. It was just that simplistic almost ambient feel about it which did it for me.

This latest track reminds me of their Peter Allen inspired song from a few years ago where the production is just over the top.

They cop an unfair whack and its 'cool' to hate them because they are such a benign and politically correct band, but FMD if Clocks, Shiver and The Scientist are not classic songs
Too true, but I reject their shallow protests and follow with what pleases me and much of their material certainly does

They had some great songs, and 'A Rush Of Blood' holds up really well as a complete album. It would be good to see them go back to the simple acoustic beauty of a 'Sparks' or 'Green Eyes', instead of that over-the-top, wannabe-U2 kind of sound.

They had some great songs, and 'A Rush Of Blood' holds up really well as a complete album. It would be good to see them go back to the simple acoustic beauty of a 'Sparks' or 'Green Eyes', instead of that over-the-top, wannabe-U2 kind of sound.
Did you not hear Ghost Stories?

I heard A Sky Full Of Stars (or whatever it was called), which put me off completely. Sounded more over-produced than anything they'd ever done.
Listen to the rest of the album. Very sparse. Unsurprising given Chris' marriage was falling apart at the time.

Their first two albums were brilliant, but they just haven't gone close since. x&y had some good songs but a lot of rabble, and mylo xyloto was ok and a bit fun for the first few listens but just didn't have a lot of quality to want you to keep coming back to it. I didn't bother with Ghost Stories, the singles didn't do a lot for me and the reviews were generally fairly poor too

EDIT: I totally forgot about Viva La Vida. Which kind of says a lot about the album. I did really like Violet Hill, among others, but there just wasn't a lot of quality outside if the singles IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a good choice of a single to be honest ...

Up & Up is the obvious choice for a lead single off this new album...

It's amazing how bands and their managers often make the wrong choice for singles to promote. It's probably just chosen out of a hat..

It's not a good choice of a single to be honest ...

Up & Up is the obvious choice for a lead single off this new album...

It's amazing how bands and their managers often make the wrong choice for singles to promote. It's probably just chosen out of a hat..
Methinks the label gets involved.

I think its their worst album, the lyrics are so bad and overall it feels like they have run out of ideas.

It will be interesting to read how the mainstream media defend it, no surprise to see the herald sun give it 3.5/5

for me its been all downhill since viva la vida

I think its their worst album, the lyrics are so bad and overall it feels like they have run out of ideas.

It will be interesting to read how the mainstream media defend it, no surprise to see the herald sun give it 3.5/5

for me its been all downhill since viva la vida
Yeah it's kinda middling. I've not actually heard all their others so I can't say where it stands overall.

Up&Up is really solid. I don't mind Birds. I liked Everglow but now I've heard the lyrics properly it's just...eh.

I'll still go see them live though. They put on a hell of a show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back