GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
So, reading both the AFL website and Freo's, it has us as "the front runner" for Colin Sylvia's services. What are your thoughts on him? I've become a convert to the philosophy that a team can't have too many good midfielders, but there's talk that he also can play on the forward line. What do you all reckon he'd bring to the team if we acquire him?

I think we're going after him to be played more in the forward line than the midfield. Like Ross said, we need more scoring power and Sylvia isn't as good as our current midfielders.

So, reading both the AFL website and Freo's, it has us as "the front runner" for Colin Sylvia's services. What are your thoughts on him? I've become a convert to the philosophy that a team can't have too many good midfielders, but there's talk that he also can play on the forward line. What do you all reckon he'd bring to the team if we acquire him?

Had an extremely good season or two a few years back where he played as a high half forward. Reckon his slide downwards coincided with a lot of Melbourne de-listings and their form drop over the last three years (where they went from "crap" to "under 12s could beat them"). Would be an okay pickup but I would think that if he isn't a huge player for us, Ross wouldn't be afraid to drop him and use him for depth only.

Would only take if he took $350k a year and came through free agency.

Ive been dead against him landing at freo, had a nice old debate with KPR about him over numerous emails. My reasoning for not wanting him is he wouldn't replace anyone in our midfield but would hinder the development of guys like Neale, Sheridan and Sutcliff. Same goes if he plays more through the forward line, with Walters, Ballas and Mayne already down there plus Crozier most likely increasing game time next year. I just see Sylvia as a surplus to needs who (1) would not be best 22 and (2) would take the place of a younger player.

That's the route. He's an unrestricted free agent. If he were to come into the 22, who might he replace?

You'd probably see him, Clancee Pearce, Matt de Boer, and Suban all fighting for a place. Lachie Neale will need to be at his best next year, too. He can have Suban's spot for round 1 and we'll see how he goes from there.

Btw, sick of all this "young player's development stiffled" crap. They should all be playing WAFL until they're better than the guys out on the track. You field your best team, not your 'potentially best team'. Viv Michie, if he stays at Fremantle and completes a full pre-season, will be taking a spot in that team next year. Morabito will too after he goes through the WAFL for a bit. Fit Jonathan Griffin in there too. Ibbotson as well. There will be players who miss out (hell, even Sylvia may miss out). I love the fact we have all these youngsters playing well. They'll force their way in if they're good enough and force some older player to retire earlier.

You'd probably see him, Clancee Pearce, Matt de Boer, and Suban all fighting for a place. Lachie Neale will need to be at his best next year, too. He can have Suban's spot for round 1 and we'll see how he goes from there.

Btw, sick of all this "young player's development stiffled" crap. They should all be playing WAFL until they're better than the guys out on the track. You field your best team, not your 'potentially best team'. Viv Michie, if he stays at Fremantle and completes a full pre-season, will be taking a spot in that team next year. Morabito will too after he goes through the WAFL for a bit. Fit Jonathan Griffin in there too. Ibbotson as well. There will be players who miss out (hell, even Sylvia may miss out). I love the fact we have all these youngsters playing well. They'll force their way in if they're good enough and force some older player to retire earlier.

Agree young ones need to ea rn their spot and need more time in gym to get bigger bodies to break tackles and tackle big opposition bodies it was so obvious the kids couldn't do that on Sunday good example is the missed sutcliffe tackle on I think smith which was a critical point in the last qtr where he the scored a goal and if it had stuck could have been different story.

Sylvia is a ready player and tough nut, so with the right environment and rtb nurturing he should thrive.

He's obviously experienced and you would think very motivated after being at Melbourne his whole playing career. Will he buy into the Lyon battle plan and can he carry out his role??
On wikipedia they have him listed as 186cm and 85kg. Still only a small to mid forward but another bigger body to run through the midfield which does suit Lyons battle plan. Was a number 3 draft pick.

Has he been totally Melbourned though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a handy pickup if the price was right. FA is an opportunity for a free hit and while we'd prefer a tall I don't think there are any out there with FA. His work ethic has been questionable in the past but you'd back Lyon to turn that around.

One of the main benefits would be to free up Fyfe from the inside mid role. To fully take advantage of his talent you want him roaming the ground/spending time forward where he can fully exploit his marking ability, gets wasted when he's playing inside and hacking the ball forward.

Would be a handy pickup if the price was right. FA is an opportunity for a free hit and while we'd prefer a tall I don't think there are any out there with FA. His work ethic has been questionable in the past but you'd back Lyon to turn that around.

One of the main benefits would be to free up Fyfe from the inside mid role. To fully take advantage of his talent you want him roaming the ground/spending time forward where he can fully exploit his marking ability, gets wasted when he's playing inside and hacking the ball forward.

By all reports he has elite skills, and RTB will fix his work ethic.

I would have him swapping in the midfield with Fyfe, so they each play roughly 50% in the midfield and the rest in the forward line.

I see him as a de Boer replacement.

If it was a trade situation, I'd straight swap D. Pearce for Sylvia. Uses the ball way better.
Pearce is lacking foot skill and his pace isn't as electric as I remember. Plenty of outside run in Sutcliffe, Sheridan & hopefully everyone's Fav Morabito (fingers crossed round 1 sub at home).
Just hope we continue playing Neale, Sutty, Sheridan & Crozier so we don't end up in a stkilda situation one day haha.
Not that it would happen.

Our list management model has been working well. 186cm talented, attacking midfielder. Id say as long as we arent paying too much and not losing draft picks go for it. As for the younger guys, refer to list managment model. It aint broke.

On current form no he is not in our 22.
What a load of deadset rubbish. He is one of the few Demons players who can hurt you and as a result has been closely tagged rotating when playing either forward or midfield. In the freo system he would definitely thrive in my view as he wouldnt be targeted by the opposition like he is now. Has the potential to be a top 5 player for us if opposition doesnt pay him respect. His pace and strength would be very hard to match up on. He has elite strength and speed and kicks the ball a mile. If we sign him opposition teams will struggle to find a suitable match up to play on both Mayne and our new gun recruit. On top of that signing him will provide us with another versatile player who we can rotate between forward and mid. Everyone knows we need a key forward, but signing Sylvia will allow us to play Fyfe and Mundy forward more and that will add to our marking strength in the forward line considerably. Sylvia would be an awesome addition to our team if he plays to his potential. We are building a team of super, super strong and althletic mult-postional mids/forwards and he would definitely add to the mix. Really, really hope we sign him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back