List Mgmt. Colin Sylvia - Joins Freo as Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the problem - work rate. So, question is, can he change what looks like a lifetime of bad habits to make an impact next year?

Before Ross came to Freo Johno was pretty much in the same boat as Colin in now. Anyone remember Johnson's last season under Harvey? All i am saying is that it is possible to completely change a players career trajectory in one off season, particularly if a player possesses natural footy skills like both Johno and Colin. If Colin is training now, like has been reported than that is already a massive positive sign.

Before Ross came to Freo Johno was pretty much in the same boat as Colin in now. Anyone remember Johnson's last season under Harvey? All i am saying is that it is possible to completely change a players career trajectory in one off season, particularly if a player possesses natural footy skills like both Johno and Colin. If Colin is training now, like has been reported than that is already a massive positive sign.
Who would've taken Johnson though, really? Was he fashionable or valuable? Crowley was looking down the barrel of a delisting and there's plenty of guys like Clancee Pearce who became good AFL players because of Ross Lyon. But the theme is, they weren't worth anything: they realised this was their chance to make something of their career, and Lyon was the guy who told them they could.

Colin Sylvia has waltzed over to Perth knowing he probably had five other offers, as well as the Demons, who would take him. The fact he's on the money he is means that he wasn't a Gumbleton-like "ah, well, why not?" selection. Sylvia has come other with expectation and entitlement and not a fighting bone on his body: he's showing disrespect to Freo and Lyon by hitting players in the WAFL. Would a desperate case who wants to succeed, someone like a 2010-era Crowley or Northbridge coke bust Johnson really be doing dumb s**t like that?

Colin Sylvia was probably one of the dumbest recruits Freo has made since that Johnson prick from Essendon. Sylvia had a decade at the Demons and in a bad side, was still someone who never showed leadership, intensity, or pride for himself or his club. He just coasted along, floating in and out of packs and effort, and knew that mediocrity was all he needed to succeed.

I just don't think it was ever a smart move. Maybe on base money for a year or two. But it's a bizarre investment and one of over confidence, I think.

Even Danyle Pearce. How much is he on? For a leader, he doesn't affect games nearly as much as he should.

Who would've taken Johnson though, really? Was he fashionable or valuable? Crowley was looking down the barrel of a delisting and there's plenty of guys like Clancee Pearce who became good AFL players because of Ross Lyon. But the theme is, they weren't worth anything: they realised this was their chance to make something of their career, and Lyon was the guy who told them they could.

Colin Sylvia has waltzed over to Perth knowing he probably had five other offers, as well as the Demons, who would take him. The fact he's on the money he is means that he wasn't a Gumbleton-like "ah, well, why not?" selection. Sylvia has come other with expectation and entitlement and not a fighting bone on his body: he's showing disrespect to Freo and Lyon by hitting players in the WAFL. Would a desperate case who wants to succeed, someone like a 2010-era Crowley or Northbridge coke bust Johnson really be doing dumb s**t like that?

Colin Sylvia was probably one of the dumbest recruits Freo has made since that Johnson prick from Essendon. Sylvia had a decade at the Demons and in a bad side, was still someone who never showed leadership, intensity, or pride for himself or his club. He just coasted along, floating in and out of packs and effort, and knew that mediocrity was all he needed to succeed.

I just don't think it was ever a smart move. Maybe on base money for a year or two. But it's a bizarre investment and one of over confidence, I think.

Even Danyle Pearce. How much is he on? For a leader, he doesn't affect games nearly as much as he should.

That is a tad melodramatic mate. It was always a gamble in an effort to get more offensive capability into the team and it didn't paid off (yet). I do not resent his recruitment one bit.

Last edited:

hrm, the thing is freo recruited silvia under the assumption that he would make the effort and not just waltz over and expect a spot in the side that made the grand final the previous year. fair enough there were plenty of signs that he was lazy, but most people would of jumped at the opportunity to prove the haters wrong, its his last chance to show people that he can be a good footballer. unfortunately he decided to smack some bloke in the wafl and sulk on the sidelines instead.

id give him until the end of 2015 before completely writing him off though.

The fact that he's basically been the same footballer since he won the Rising Star award in 2006 aside, Pearce at least hasn't missed a game during his time at Fremantle, and has at least maintained the same level of play he'd previously shown at Port Adelaide. Far more than Sylvia did this year.

Tell you what, I'm a lot more disappointed in d Pearce than I am Sylvia, and I have no reason or rationale to explain that..... I still have the belief that Sylvia will turn up this year and play well... If so then he will be an astute choice. Look at Tarants first year, everyone was ready to jump on him... He moves back and dominated. Sylvia may have just needed the whopping he had recieved... At least he hasn't completely let us down in every important game he has played like d Pearce..... I'm actually embarrassed to have Danyle Pearce in our jumper theses days

Out of our last few finals, D.Pearce and Clarke have been the most disappointing... Pearce shits himself endlessly in pressure games. Clarke just goes missing.

Hopefully Sylvia gets his s**t together for next season. I still have hope.

Out of our last few finals, D.Pearce and Clarke have been the most disappointing... Pearce shits himself endlessly in pressure games. Clarke just goes missing.

Hopefully Sylvia gets his s**t together for next season. I still have hope.

Agree. Even if we have no rhyme or reason to support us. Colin also had two leg injuries that took him out for a total of 8 weeks and a suspension (stupid stupid stupid) for 2. I think he can improve. Pearce... Well he has always been poor in finals. I Don't think that will ever change

Tell you what, I'm a lot more disappointed in d Pearce than I am Sylvia, and I have no reason or rationale to explain that..... I still have the belief that Sylvia will turn up this year and play well... If so then he will be an astute choice. Look at Tarants first year, everyone was ready to jump on him... He moves back and dominated. Sylvia may have just needed the whopping he had recieved... At least he hasn't completely let us down in every important game he has played like d Pearce..... I'm actually embarrassed to have Danyle Pearce in our jumper theses days

Jay Van Berlo, Clayton Hinkley, Byron Schammer, Brett Peake, Andrew Browne, Daniel Gilmore, Josh Head, Justin Bollenhagen. Pearce is better to watch then all these guys. Bar maybe Peake on the run. What the * is so bad about D Pearce really?

We have other players that need to step up and make it so we barely notice Pearce's brain farts. He does his role and I think he puts a good shift in most times. Hes just a genuine b grader. He had a pretty good game against the hawks when we got hammered. It wasnt spectacular but better than most in a lossing side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are looking to Sylvia and thinking "leadership" then you are looking in the wrong direction. It is like looking at Watts and thinking "courage".

Strange thoughts on Pearce as well. How much a player is on has little direct relationship to their leadership ability. Cloke may be Collingwood's highest paid player, and Griffen or Cooney may be at the WB's. de Boer may be one of our lowest paid senior players and isn't a player who has a huge impact on a game, but shows plenty of leadership.

Seeing that Trengove failed the medical for the Richmond trade makes me think maybe Sylvia will come good. Maybe the medicos there aren't really looking after things and maybe that extends to general fitness and other aspects of the management. He literally might have needed a rehab year to get all the niggles and bad habits out.

Jay Van Berlo, Clayton Hinkley, Byron Schammer, Brett Peake, Andrew Browne, Daniel Gilmore, Josh Head, Justin Bollenhagen. Pearce is better to watch then all these guys. Bar maybe Peake on the run. What the **** is so bad about D Pearce really?

We have other players that need to step up and make it so we barely notice Pearce's brain farts. He does his role and I think he puts a good shift in most times. Hes just a genuine b grader. He had a pretty good game against the hawks when we got hammered. It wasnt spectacular but better than most in a lossing side.

The difference between the players you mentioned and Pearce is that they were drafted, and we're clearly spuds. Pearce was targetted to come across on good dollars to help us win a flag... His skills are ordinary, he goes missing whenever we really need him especially in finals, and we are stuck with him for another two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back