Meet Up Collective.. Keeping the MAGPIE alive!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a season ticket for all home and away games for the Magpies with my Club1870 membership, I live within 10 min walking distance of Alberton yet Ive only been to one home game and 1/2 an away game at Woodville.

Unfortunately, as a shift worker I cant make it to all the Magpie matchs.

My priority is getting to all of the Power home games - plus 3 or 4 interstate each year... Magpie matchs are unfortunately few and far between for me.

Three notches down the side of my Maggies season ticket so far. And I could only stick around for the first quarter on Saturday.

second-rate
adj
1. not of the highest quality; mediocre
2. second in importance, etc

Not sure why people are so offended by Portia calling the SANFL a second-rate competition. Some in this thread don't really understand what 'second-rate' means, do they? Similar to how someone (tribey or finbarr) pointed out the other day that people think 'mediocre' is synonymous with 'terrible'. Which it clearly isn't.

I appreciate that bigger crowds at our SANFL matches would be better, I was somewhat disappointed with the attendance on Saturday myself. But bitching about people preferring the Power to the Magpies is stupid and won't achieve anything.

Cum @ me brahz.

Last edited:

Things going against seeing the 2nds play in the SANFL:

- Playing football,
- Family events,
- Plenty of the 53k don't have access to the game - nor do some even care about going,
- Lots of the younger generation are more inclined to watch the AFL than other lower standards like the SANFL, NEAFL, WAFL, VFL.
- The SANFL is generally just shithouse run better by potatoes and ice-cream cones.
- People can fit one game of AFL into their weekends, and with an AFL bye might choose to go on holidays instead of staying to watch the reserves,
- Lots of people can take or leave watching the SANFL, because it hasn't been as an attractive prospect to the younger generations since a better and higher class of league has become national.
- People like myself aren't old enough to remember much of the pre 1997 dynasty so the Port Adelaide Power are the evolution of the PAFC to them.

Other than the occasional trip to Alberton to see how my favourites in Redden, Newton, Butcher and now Flynn, I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV or even have the radio on in the background to listen to the Life FM or RPH muppets moan about how awesome our reserves are.

The SANFL is no longer as important to us as it was 20+ years ago, and it continues to become as relevant as the VFL and WAFL.

WHY? - The SANFL aren't going to like seeing the Maggies dominate this season.
There was no way it was gonna turn out any different, surely they knew this when they agreed to the terms... s**t we aren't even using Raikiwhatever and he was one of our 'big' signings having stayed with the Magpies. The concessions are just way over the top.

As for kicking Port (and the Crows) out of the comp, well there was a perfect opportunity to do that last year but they cant live without the money and exposure the Magpies and the Crows teams are giving them, so no way is that gonna happen.

Either way, getting bigger crowds would be nice but it wont save our current set up. There will be a lot of tears and we will probably be pushed to change. I just hope we dont lose the opportunity to list guys like N.Krakouer and Haren who could use the opportunity to get back into top level football.

time out

ok try again, without the personal abuse because some don't choose to go to the sanfl games.

Last edited:
time out

ok try again, without the personal abuse because some don't choose to go to the sanfl games.

absolute rubbish, cant let that go by, the personal abuse came from the other side, who was it that called someone the worst person in the world, mouth breathers, real childish stuff by those whose opinions id usually ignore, then the childish memes came out. good thing youve deleted most of the crap.

After all that, I still encourage everyone who can to get to the Magpies games to do so. They are playing some great, team-oriented football. I'm sure our AFL players vying for a spot in the Power appreciate our support and it's exciting seeing our young players develop and grow.
I don't know about anyone else but I can't get enough PAFC football this year!

absolute rubbish, cant let that go by, the personal abuse came from the other side, who was it that called someone the worst person in the world, mouth breathers, real childish stuff by those whose opinions id usually ignore, then the childish memes came out. good thing youve deleted most of the crap.

It all started when Portia was called pathetic for saying the sanfl is a second rate competition, then it started blowing up. It wouldn't have escalated to that level without the initial attack. The competition is second rate compared to the AFL, that's no insult it's reality. Port play great football in the second tier competition but really against teams that simply can't compete with Port's model.

But that's not what this thread is supposed to be about as far as I could tell from the OP. The question seems to be why aren't people going and how do 'we' get them to go. Someone says why they don't go and it gets turned into a pissing contest about who is the better supporter. People should just stay away from that, it's pretty simple.

There was no way it was gonna turn out any different, surely they knew this when they agreed to the terms... s**t we aren't even using Raikiwhatever and he was one of our 'big' signings having stayed with the Magpies. The concessions are just way over the top.

As for kicking Port (and the Crows) out of the comp, well there was a perfect opportunity to do that last year but they cant live without the money and exposure the Magpies and the Crows teams are giving them, so no way is that gonna happen.

Either way, getting bigger crowds would be nice but it wont save our current set up. There will be a lot of tears and we will probably be pushed to change. I just hope we dont lose the opportunity to list guys like N.Krakouer and Haren who could use the opportunity to get back into top level football.

I prefer to be much more optimistic.

There was an 80% reshuffle of coaches in the off season, which surely would have an impact of team performance while clubs get used to a new playing style.

Not only are Port dominating, but South & Sturt too, who were bottom dwellers in recent times.
The form of Centrals & Noorwood is diminished.

If the SANFL want to improve, they need to let Port & Crows set the new standard & allow the other clubs time to follow.

Here's hoping the model sticks.
People attending our games would help with this & I see no reason why we can encourage more people to come & see the Powers up & coming talent.

It all started when Portia was called pathetic for saying the sanfl is a second rate competition, then it started blowing up.
To be fair, I had an idea that that was going to be the response I got when I posted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I had an idea that that was going to be the response I got when I posted.

Mate, if you're not interested in the Maggies, thats fine.
But leave this discussion for those who are interested in the Maggies (troll somewhere else).
Cheers.

Let it go mate.

I love going to Magpies games and have a season ticket but with AFL games every second week, it's hard to justify to the family spending EVERY weekend at the footy.

Every other is reasonable but EVERY just gets too much.

Getting to Alberton can be a real pain in the carse if home is in the Eastern or Southern Suburbs too.... and how much time have people got to watch football? Especially with it being on the telly. I love the maggies and all too but I don't think you're going to get many more people to the SANFL games then you have now. People have jobs, family and stuff. Portia is right.

But leave this discussion for those who are interested in the Maggies (troll somewhere else).
Cheers.

Or you could have posted it in the Port Adelaide Magpies sub forum instead of the main board?

I love going to Magpies games and have a season ticket but with AFL games every second week, it's hard to justify to the family spending EVERY weekend at the footy.

Every other is reasonable but EVERY just gets too much.
I agree it's tough. In my case though, my eldest daughter INSISTS on us going to the both the AFL and SANFL homegames. :)

Wow... was a fun read last night, but on topic.

One reason people may not go to Alberton so often is the struggle to get there. I went on the weekend (live in Brighton) and the train into the city was 10min late, which meant it got into Adelaide 10min late. Just as I got off the train the one to Outer Harbour left, which meant it was a 30min wait for the next train. Took 1.5hrs to get to the game and the same to get home. Not sure how many catch the train to Alberton, so not sure if its worth the club requesting an extra train in that half hour gap before and after the game.

Whats the value of a Maggies membership for the club? Could it be worth the club scrapping the Maggies memberships all together, add an extra $10-20 onto the PAFC membership which includes say 5 games to Alberton, having the option to upgrade to all home games/all sanfl games. Then those that are wanting the pen/pin ect, can buy a membership pack (Shirt, hat, pen, pin ect) on top of that. Price it so those paying full magpie memberships now won't be worse off under the new structure, but it could encourage others to attend games, then potentially upgrade the magpie part the following season.

Wow... was a fun read last night, but on topic.

One reason people may not go to Alberton so often is the struggle to get there. I went on the weekend (live in Brighton) and the train into the city was 10min late, which meant it got into Adelaide 10min late. Just as I got off the train the one to Outer Harbour left, which meant it was a 30min wait for the next train. Took 1.5hrs to get to the game and the same to get home. Not sure how many catch the train to Alberton, so not sure if its worth the club requesting an extra train in that half hour gap before and after the game.

Whats the value of a Maggies membership for the club? Could it be worth the club scrapping the Maggies memberships all together, add an extra $10-20 onto the PAFC membership which includes say 5 games to Alberton, having the option to upgrade to all home games/all sanfl games. Then those that are wanting the pen/pin ect, can buy a membership pack (Shirt, hat, pen, pin ect) on top of that. Price it so those paying full magpie memberships now won't be worse off under the new structure, but it could encourage others to attend games, then potentially upgrade the magpie part the following season.

As I posted above and AdsGoNads linked to, there is the $50 upgrade option to see all Maggie home games. I have one

As I posted above and AdsGoNads linked to, there is the $50 upgrade option to see all Maggie home games. I have one

Yeah but I'm saying include it in the Power memberships. Dont rely on people wanting to upgrade, give it to them as part of their Power membership to use if they want to. If 30,000 (guestimating 11game members here) all got a 5game (or 3game) pass to Alberton, there is a good chance that crowds will be quite large. And even with a 3game/interstate/country membership could throw in 1 Alberton game as well.

It would all depend though on the amount of money the club gets from sole Magpies memberships to see if it could be financially viable for the club to do this with only a small rise in membership costs.

Or you could have posted it in the Port Adelaide Magpies sub forum instead of the main board?

Mate, the idea was to generate discussion & interest amongst all PAFC supporters.

After all, we are One Club ;)

Mate, the idea was to generate discussion & interest amongst all PAFC supporters.

After all, we are One Club ;)

Yes, I am well aware that we are one club but your previous post stated:

Cheers.

So if the discussion is for those who are interested in the Maggies, your best bet is too put it into the Magpies sub forum. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back