Collingwood 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll see, still have plenty of top line talent, Reid missed the entire year, Swan couldn't get going, Cloke was ok but didn't set the world on fire.

I wouldn't be suprised if they make the 8, However would realisticly see them in that dogfight again between 7-10th

He won't get sacked. Too much egg on Collingwood's face considering they got rid of Malthouse (damn good coach) for him.
How long can you put it off though? he looked as clueless as Sando in "the Chosen Few" doco

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13th

Defence: Nathan Brown and Ben Reid are always injured and Maxwell has retired. Leaving Frost as the only KPD. Leaving them short in defence and they will struggle against tall forward lines such as Port , Hawks , Sydney and Adelaide etc.

Midfield: Lost Beams to Lions. Leaving Pendlebury to carry the extra load. Swan is no where near his best , Macaffer tore his ACL and Ball retired. So basically Sidebottom is the only senior realistically capable to help out.

Forwardline: Who else is there to help out Cloke? Teams pretty much need to double team Cloke and Collingwood don't have an influence at all. White won't kick 2-3 goals every game. There only other reliable goal kicker is Elliot.

Losing Beams will hurt a lot. The picks they received in return aren't going to have an immediate impact. Lumumba is also gone, Swan is almost past it and I'm wary of Greenwood backing up his 2014 form.

They have some promising youth coming through, but it will be a while before it starts to pay off.

They've gone backwards each year under Bucks and I can't see them arresting the decline.

I can see them sliding to 14th, ahead of the Saints, Dees, Dogs & Blues.

Young rucks, only 3 decent mids in their prime (Pendles, Sidebottom, Greenwood), injured key defenders, inexperienced other defenders, minimal forwards targets besides Cloke and Elliott.

A better run with injury gives them a much better chance but if they make the 8 I think it's fair to say it's an amazing effort. I don't know why they ever rebuilt but now Beams has left it turns it in to a full blown rebuild (if it wasn't before).

That said Beams leaving might help Buckley as 2015 might be a write off but 2016 should be a year in which the draft picks they've stockpiled over the last couple of years start to deliver more and they stop losing experienced players.

I'd say considering how much they invested in Buckley that 2015 should get him a free pass regardless of results but 2016 will be the making or breaking of him as a coach. Top 10 with a team on the rise in 2016 or bust but next year they should try and have a year like Brisbane where they really developed with young players as the year went on.

We will make the 8 with a decent injury run. Beams is a huge loss, but by himself he's a drop in the ocean compared to what we've had to deal with the last couple of seasons.
But you have to get better each year just to stay the same position or so the saying goes.

Beams gone. Maxwell a huge loss to the backline as the 2nd half of 2014 showed. Lumumba and Ball gone. Swan - may be able to play a bit better than he did in 2014 - at 31 though it's unlikely he gets to his best again. Macaffer gone for the year. Quite a few like Young, White, Blair, Keeffe and Dwyer have probably hit their ceilings.

Greenwood and Varcoe will obviously provide some cover as experienced players to replace those who have left, but not a whole heap.

If you are to make the 8 I think it's resultant on several ifs:
- Reid and Brown can be fit and play full seasons
- Kennedy, Seedsman, Broomhead, Freeman can step up very quickly
- No key players (Cloke, Pendles, Sidebottom etc) get injured

It's too many if's when compared to a lot of the top 6 who shouldn't fall too far and then teams like Gold Coast who are on the up and then even Adelaide, Richmond, West Coast whilst they didn't have injuries like you did last year they didn't have their 2nd best player walk out and they are more even and mature teams.

were definitely a middle rung team however are capable of very good footy (beat swans,north,port), we have so many players that aren't great but aren't s*** and have potential like Fasolo,Dwyer,Grundy,Goldsack,kennedy,blair,adams,brown,white,keefe,thomas,williams,sinclair,karnezis,toovey,seedsman, its just whether these players can go from 6.5 to 7.5's, i think the jury is still out with buckley as i think a clarkson or lyon could make this club easily top8

Losing Beams will hurt a lot. The picks they received in return aren't going to have an immediate impact. Lumumba is also gone, Swan is almost past it and I'm wary of Greenwood backing up his 2014 form.

They have some promising youth coming through, but it will be a while before it starts to pay off.

They've gone backwards each year under Bucks and I can't see them arresting the decline.

I can see them sliding to 14th, ahead of the Saints, Dees, Dogs & Blues.
I'm big wraps for Buckley and I think once be loses the dissent in the older guys in the playing group the team'll go the right way, but I think people are being very generous with their assessments of us. 13th-14th is the mark I expect us to finish. God I hope I'm wrong,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back