Collingwood 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not getting snippy I just have a real distaste for your coach he's way overrated as a coach and a player his career so far has given me plenty of laughs I hope you sign him up for life.
yes my side did do more than I expected but in no way am I thinking our s**t don't stink.

I'm not getting snippy I just have a real distaste for your coach he's way overrated as a coach and a player his career so far has given me plenty of laughs I hope you sign him up for life.
yes my side did do more than I expected but in no way am I thinking our s**t don't stink.

Seeing as Buckley was born in Adelaide and played for Port in the SANFL, I can understand why you dislike him. FIGJAM just like anyone associated with Port:D

well he did win his one and only flag with port.
not that it counts after all it's just some backwater 2nd tier comp.

well he did win his one and only flag with port.
not that it counts after all it's just some backwater 2nd tier comp.

Think what you want about Buckley as a coach, but overrated as a player?!

There are a lot of players I dislike but I would like to think that I could still appreciate their abilities and achievements and rate them accordingly. There are plenty of greats of the game that did not play in VFL/AFL premiership.

Anyone who can list the following achievements should not be considered overrated.

Brownlow medal 2003
All Australian Team 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
Pies B&F 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003
Collingwood team of the century
Norm Smith Medal 2002
Collingwood Captain 1999-2007
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year 2003
AFL Rising Star 1993
Magarey Medal 1992
Jack Oatey Medal 1992
Port Adelaide SANFL premiership 1992
Port Adelaide SANFL Best & Fairest 1992

I pity you for your petty hatred and inabilty to appreciate a talented footballer.

that norm smith should have gone to vossy anyone that watched that game knows that.
as for the brownlow he did have to share his moment of glory with 2 others.
I'll agree he was a decent player but he played for himself before team maybe that's where the hate comes from.
truly great players have premierships. footy is a team sport it's not about individual accolades.

that norm smith should have gone to vossy anyone that watched that game knows that.
as for the brownlow he did have to share his moment of glory with 2 others.
I'll agree he was a decent player but he played for himself before team maybe that's where the hate comes from.
truly great players have premierships. footy is a team sport it's not about individual accolades.
So Tony Lockett, Bob Skilton, Robert Harvey etc were not 'truly great players' - geez:rolleyes:

But Charlie Manson won a premiership with the pies - a truly great player!!:D

I get the fact that fans dislike opposition players, but overrated as a player?

I would go as far to say that even AdamH wouldn't claim Buckley was overrated as a player.:eek:

Strong username to post content

any premiership player is hell even Aaron keating is.
he can sit in his office and look at all these awards but he would trade them all for a flag.
all the above are great players but they didn't win the ultimate.
you play to win the flag and your career is never truly fulfilled if you don't.

he can sit in his office and look at all these awards but he would trade them all for a flag.
Nice attempt at deflection..

mmm Buckley's career vs Aaron Keating's career, tough choice ...... o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mmm Buckley's career vs Aaron Keating's career, tough choice ...... o_O

Robert Harvey's career vs Aaron Keating's career, tough choice eh Falchoon..:thumbsu:

But I'm sorry - Harvey is not a 'truly great player' because he didn't play in a premiership team.;)

I wonder how many of the AFL Players of the century or in the AFL Hall of Fame are "not truly great" because they played elite football in a non successful team.

Stick a fork in it - it's done:p

I must admit though - I did love Charlie Manson when he played with the Pies...got the most out of his abilities and a genuinely nice and funny bloke.

Can be overrated when you're not rated yet. As for him as a player? You don't have much of an idea do you? You have to look past your distaste and objectively look at his career, flags or no flags. I used to hate Vossy from day 1 but couldn't deny his ability or career even before the flags.
How much of Buckley did you see?

All Australian Team 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003

Would just like to highlight these achievements of Buckley in particular. When you can win six straight All-Australian selections in non-finals sides (Collingwood missed the finals for seven straight years between 1995-2001), it's pretty hard to claim the bloke as "overrated". He was a very good player in some very poor sides right through the prime years of his career, and carried the Pies for a very long time.

Really had as good a prime (ages 25-29, 1997-2001) as any of his contemporaries; Averaged 27.86 disposals and 1.04 goals per game, and amassed 89 Brownlow votes, in 98 games between 1997-2001. Considering Collingwood won just 36 of those 98 games he played in during that period (and went 3-9 in the 12 games he missed), has any player in the AFL era gotten more Brownlow votes and in general achieved more individually in poor sides over such a stretch than Buckley? I can't think of any. I really don't know what more people expected of him individually during this time.

You should have kept Malthouse as coach that is a given. Eade obviously has a role that is important and is clearly a sought after person in the AFL.

Considering the way Carlton have performed under Malthouse it's hardly a "given" that he should have been retained as coach at Collingwood. The Malthouse of approx 15 years ago had Collingwood move from wooden-spooners to grand finalists in the space of three seasons, Carlton haven't performed any better under Malthouse than they did under Ratten and you could argue they've gone backwards under his tutelage (the raw results certainly suggest that). I don't disagree with your second point, I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy of some people who claimed that the proposed role for Malthouse at Collingwood from 2012-14 was largely pointless that then will inevitably point out that the loss of Eade (from the so-called "pointless" position) will be huge for Collingwood. You can't have it both ways, either Malthouse was offered a meaningful/important position at Collingwood from 2012-14 and the loss of Eade will hurt (to some extent) or the position Malthouse was offered was pointless and the Eade could almost be made redundant at Collingwood for that reason and it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, I expect trolls to take the position of Malthouse was offered a crap job from 2012-14 but the loss of Eade will hurt Collingwood, a position that doesn't exist.

Robert Harvey's career vs Aaron Keating's career, tough choice eh Falchoon..:thumbsu:

But I'm sorry - Harvey is not a 'truly great player' because he didn't play in a premiership team.;)

I wonder how many of the AFL Players of the century or in the AFL Hall of Fame are "not truly great" because they played elite football in a non successful team.

Stick a fork in it - it's done:p

You play football to win premierships, best & fairests and Brownlows are nice but they are an individuals consolation prize.

- Adams is only 21 and may be a prospect.
- Young played 17 games last year. Good run and carry player. Dropped off at the end of the season and then suffered a hamstring injury
- White - jury still out but I'm not a fan. Hopefully Ben Reid will be able to play a full season next year.
- Lynch was worth a punt at around 300k a season. Serviceable. Lots of clubs were interested when he became a free agent I recall.
- Russell was a top draft pick (#9 or 10? I think) who warranted another chance. Again not a fan but didn't cost much. Now have Langdon, Williams and a host of others coming on. Only played half a season. On the list for one year only.

Didn't quite go down the Beau Maister or Dean Polo path like the Saints. Thank goodness Maister retired, bit of a spud who understandably changed his name!

Yet Maister kicked more goals than Lynch in there first season at the club and Maister would have been on halF the salary. The justification of the Russel recruitment means that getting Polo is also justified as he was a early pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back