Collingwood Almanac 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

That is based on the idea of continual improvement however players improvement is actually development followed by a peak and then a drop off in performance. Therefore they still get the development it is just delayed.

I hope your right as that would ensure Shaz becomes an absolute gun based on said theory.

I feel they've made the right list changes. Maybe not the right retirements with Ball who should have remained and even Maxwell who did make his own decision I would have encouraged to go around again, and he'd be incredibly useful without Scharenberg again but given those retirements I'm happy with what we've done and would have done the same.

I'm not seeing the theory of Martin walking out. Great as he is at VFL level I'm not seeing him walking onto a senior list elsewhere. I imagine he'll be retained as a rookie and made to work on his endurance over the offseason. I see Frost getting upgraded but I see Martin's chances of being upgraded while possible still relatively lean, as much as I like his game.

Not really a theory re Martin. My information is that he won't be with us in 2015 so we are now just holding onto him for trade purposes. St Kilda are keen!

Not really a theory re Martin. My information is that he won't be with us in 2015 so we are now just holding onto him for trade purposes. St Kilda are keen!

Interesting to hear.

Will be interesting to see what if anything eventuates with Martin.

In the weekly Collingwood VFL report they made mention about that the club 'hope he can have a really strong pre-season and progress to the next level' so it seems as far as I can tell anyway the intent is to retain. But still up in the air and easy to see any number of things happening with Martin.

I understand the idea that maybe Martin isn't 'fit' for senior football but I find it hard to believe hes prepared to sit on his laurels and will be straight out the door at any sign of interest. Hence I'm inclined to believe you and your source scodog.

I should also add that there were offers on the table last year and he decided to stick around out of loyalty. After what transpired this year that loyalty has eroded.

At the end of the day I hope to be wrong because I rate Martin, but I think it's in his best interests (and ours TBH because we refuse to use him effectively at senior level) if he were to move on.

Answering my own post ..

Re: Goldy, I think a lot of the shenanigans that have gone on in the media are more to do with his manager trying to talk up his price.

The club seems to think that's correct

An interesting question is this one: 2012: Dawes, 2013: Shaw, 2014: ???

We now have an answer to that one: Lumumba

Interesting to hear.

In the weekly Collingwood VFL report they made mention about that the club 'hope he can have a really strong pre-season and progress to the next level' so it seems as far as I can tell anyway the intent is to retain. But still up in the air and easy to see any number of things happening with Martin.

That does sound like he is Staying

Chances of packaging him and H to the saints for an early second rounder?

Zero, IMO. Those sorts of deals rarely take place and when they do it's most often with two kids under 21.

If Martin wants out I'd target one of the number of 6'2 mids they have on their list (Markworth maybe), but Lumumba has no value whatsoever if you can get a top 50 pick for him you take it and run.

Unfortunately 28yo average footballers who are questionable locker room influences aren't in high demand.

Zero, IMO. Those sorts of deals rarely take place and when they do it's most often with two kids under 21.

If Martin wants out I'd target one of the number of 6'2 mids they have on their list (Markworth maybe), but Lumumba has no value whatsoever if you can get a top 50 pick for him you take it and run.

Unfortunately 28yo average footballers who are questionable locker room influences aren't in high demand.
Just clutching at straws. What would be the max that Carlton and mick would offer?

Just clutching at straws. What would be the max that Carlton and mick would offer?

That's cool there'll be a lot of that over the next month... I don't think they've got much to offer.

Garlett's about the best we'll do player wise (they'll be desperate to keep their young talent) and the other option is their 3rd round pick which I'd take, but I'm not sure if others would be happy with that.

Interesting to hear.

I hope Martin understands he needs to be very careful in the off season. Eating, running do everything right. He needs to turn up to preseason ready to roll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chances of packaging him and H to the saints for an early second rounder?

I know Scodog already replied and you've added that you were clutching at straws, but I wanted to add, it also wouldn't be Saints as they are clearly going the youth option and have said they want to take three picks in the first 21 so their 2nd rounder not on the table for players. If we trade HL than Carlton (MM link and the possibility they think their window is opening) or a GWS (wanting more experienced players to help youth develop) would be more likely. Others like a Richmond or North wanting to top up would also be more likely than Saints.

Knighta which do you think is worth more the dee's 3rd round pick or swapping our second round picks?

Martin likely only attracts a 3rd or 4th round pick so he isn't going to get us anything of note if we do shop him. He isn't a Mumford or Jenkins type rookie talent where a club is going to spend a pick around 30 to get him.

If lumumba is on his way to the dees (which is highly likely) which could involve watts which end do you reckon we will play him? Or would he slot right onto lumumbas position on the wing? Of course this is all talk atm...

If lumumba is on his way to the dees (which is highly likely) which could involve watts which end do you reckon we will play him? Or would he slot right onto lumumbas position on the wing? Of course this is all talk atm...
Watts could be a great option on the wing, 3rd tall in the backline could be another option.

Jake Niall's latest article is right up your alley, Knightmare, on the topic of senior experiece/veterans...

Assuming that Heritier Lumumba follows Heath Shaw, Dale Thomas, Chris Dawes and Sharrod Wellingham out the Westpac Centre door and they neither add nor subtract more seasoned players, the Pies will enter next season with only eight players who have played 100-plus games, plus the fragile Ben Reid on 99.

Sydney has 17 players with more than 100 games in the bank in 2014, Hawthorn and Geelong 13 each. Hawthorn's team that confirmed cessation of the Kennett Curse on Friday night contained 11 with more than 100 games. Eight of those 11 had played 200 games. The eight triple-figure players remaining for the Pies include Tyson Goldsack, Jarryd Blair and Clinton Young - none of whom is a guaranteed selection or could be considered "core" players.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...build-from-the-ground-up-20140906-10deoz.html

Thoughts?

Problem is, we need to find a senior player (or two) who won't cost too much and will slot in as undeniably best 22 for at least 2 maybe 3 seasons... Not exactly easy to come by.

We have Struggled to do that lately

I would love, love, love to have Watts for Lumumba but I don't see Melbourne making that trade without expecting us to throw in a first round or at least our second round pick to add to Lumumba.

Watts can play anywhere we need him to. If Reid gets injured again I would use Watts as our second key forward. We could use Watts as our variant of Westhoff as a forward who can swing back or play up the field on a wing as required. He could be played on a wing which also is something we need.

Jake Niall's latest article is right up your alley, Knightmare, on the topic of senior experiece/veterans...

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...build-from-the-ground-up-20140906-10deoz.html

Thoughts?

The article in large part sums up my concerns and I feel it is spot on. My feel for Collingwood is we'll be not unlike Mark Harvey's Fremantle Dockers when he first took over that team with that large group of players he was trying to pump games into. Given our list situation the only way forward for our list will be to give all our young guys taken early/that we payed heavy currency for consistently and get those games into them all as quick as possible.

It's going to result in a bunch of middle of the table finishes for the next few years - which given our 2010/2011 success is near-on unthinkable and the one thing the list management team in my view while they're drafted terrifically don't quite have the right feel for with those genuine 30 year olds who can lead of greater importance that guys in their early 20s who are of depth quality.

It's something we see in other international sports where clubs that value veterans and have those veterans on their team experience the success while those with teams largely made up of rookies or early career guys largely struggle and struggle to build a relevant team.

If we were able to work out a deal to get Watts, where would you be keen to see him play Knightmare ?

I think myself id like him manly used onball and on the wing as a 4-5th string mid, another experienced body through the guts could be handy, but wouldnt be against him having stints up forward and down back.

Another option could be as a 3rd tall down back, and turn him into something like a Harry Taylor type, except without playing on the best key forwards.

I hope your right as that would ensure Shaz becomes an absolute gun based on said theory.
The performances of hartlett and gray on the weekend gave me more confidence that if Scharenburg can get a good run with injuries after the knee he can still become elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back